Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,858 times

Advertisements

Has anybody done any recent Kitchen updates with new Cabinet Doors ??

We got one Estimate.....but it was way overpriced. Any good experiences from local crafts ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
I don't have any local experience, but I can offer you some perspective. While you can save a significant amount by refacing, it's not cheap.

I redid my kitchen 3 years ago. I bought the doors and drawer fronts online at Barker Door. The style I chose with beadboard panels and a fairly simple frame cost about $100 per piece on average. Add to that new hinges and knobs. Hinges are cheap at $3-5/pair, knobs run from $1 to the sky's the limit.

Careful measuring can be time consuming, unless you're replacing everything exactly as-is. Figure in removal of the old fronts and installation of the new (which can be fussy).

If you're installing new drawer boxes, those can run $50-100 each. New drawer slides are $10 for the cheap exposed type up to $40 for hidden soft-close slides, per drawer.

Depending on you quantity of cabinets, it's easy to spend $4000 just for materials.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,505 times
Has anyone painted their kitchen cabinet doors? Our cabinets are in great condition but the dark wood makes our kitchen look too dark. I was think of painting them white to improve the look. I'm thinking you must have to use a specific kind of paint. Might need to hire someone to do this. Any advice city- friends?

Old 07-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Thanks folks. Some interesting raised panels on the Barker Doors website -- I saw just what I'm looking for. I would not attempt to install these myself. I would like someone with more experience to do that part of the job. I understand the "soft-close" hinges are now pretty much standard.

Patti....my DW painted our bathroom vanity. There is a special paint....it's a two step process with a primer over the existing finish and then a final color coat. Your dark cabinets may need two coats of final color. I think she got the whole kit at Lowe's.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,602,405 times
I remodeled a mid 70's duplex in West Ashley in which the lower cabinets were shot but the uppers were in good condition. I replaced the lowers and painted the uppers. I used Sherwin Williams "Pre-catalyzed epoxy" and while I thought it painted nicely, the jury is still out on durability. I've read enough now that I'd probably choose something else next time.
In the past, I've used Ben Moore Dulamel which is an oil based paint. Durable with a great finish and I'd suggest looking into that.

This is a picture of the cabs though it's just a phone shot and not a great pic. The interior of the uppers are painted a coral for fun and the lowers are an "Espresso" cabinet. I'll add for the OP that there are places around to get cabinets that are full plywood boxes with soft close drawers/doors, etc that are pretty low priced. I think the set in this pic cost something like $1,100 and if I had replaced the uppers it would have totaled $2,500 or so.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 AM

Definitely do the soft close hinges. The cost difference is negligible; the user friendliness improvement is dramatic.

I've had my Barker doors installed for 3 years and they're holding up very nicely. I chose a painted finish and there are a few tiny chips on the edges, but overall I'm really pleased with them. The quality is outstanding.

If you're thinking about painting them, I'd recommend spraying rather than brushing. And since you'll want to take off the doors to spray, go ahead and change out the hinges and knobs.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Jonah --
If you don't mind my asking, who installed your Barker doors ??

When DW painted the vanity, she used a product called Zinser for primer, and Sherman Williams for the color coat. I wouldn't be opposed to using the same method on the Kitchen side panels -- but I want good doors, installed correctly.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 AM

I did them myself, but I make furniture as a hobby so I knew what I was getting into. Hanging them isn't that hard, getting them aligned correctly takes some skill and finesse.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Jonah--
Are you busy around Sept/Oct timeframe ? HA !!

Seriously, I wonder if the Woodboys on Ladson Ave do this kind of work ?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
My mom did replacing the doors and drawers on her very solid 1959 kitchen cabinets. My BIL did the I installing, he is pretty handy. They did have the door and drawers made by a cabinet maker. The drawers were fully replaced. They had to strip and Re-stained the cabinets themselves. Re-stained with same color as it was.

One thing BIL learned. They did replace the formica counter also but was done before the drawers came back. He had a heck of a time installing the drawer and new drawer hardware/slides with the counter top place. He said he would make sure drawers were done with counter top off if there were ever done again.

I have no idea what it cost mom never said except a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area