Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times

Advertisements

For sh*ts and giggles I wanted to see what others thought about my current situation.

I like my current gym. It is pretty basic with a decent mix of people (who basically do not give an eff) and a great location for me. I work downtown, live in Avondale and use a gym at the corners of Folly, 61 and 17. They have had a coming soon rendering with samples for their new James Island location up for a couple of months. I thought it was an additional location but found out Saturday this will be a replacement for the current location.

I like the gym and have a trainer I use with some frequency- he has done a great job helping me work around a shoulder problem and setting up good workout plans. But... I really have no desire to drive a couple of miles onto James Island for a gym. Its only 3 additional miles but those are some of the most traffic miles in Charleston along either Folly Road or a Folly Road/James Island Connector combo.

It really feels like that moment when you end a friendship or decide something won't work a couple of months into dating. Part of me wonders if it is my aversion to driving in traffic for daily necessities. I literally live within one mile of groceries, the dry cleaner, gas, my current gym and the post office. The place I get haircuts is 1.2 miles away. I even use the shoe store and a clothing store in the same complex. I can walk to a half dozen restaurants, a couple of bars and my chiropractor. Is it odd that I think an additional 3 miles is going to be literally a bridge too far? My dentist and doctor are 1/4 and 1 mile onto James Island but I go them 3 times per year combined.

Am I too committed to dodging traffic or staying in my area or would anyone else also balk at adding that extra distance? I should mention I typically go to the gym after work and the 61 and 17 traffic are already bad enough. Adding that forever and ten minutes left turn from the connector and Folly Road to the mix are not appealing.

Feel free to mock, advice, commiserate or laugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
Finally something important to discuss.
I say drop that gym like a bad habit. You can do better. There's plenty of fish in the sea. Your Mom never liked that gym anyway.

Seriously, if your like me going to the gym needs to be easy. If it's not convenient you're going to find excuses not to go. And, you can never be too committed to dodging traffic and avoiding bridges. Call me 'Ol traffic dodging bridge avoider', I don't care.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Finally something important to discuss.
I say drop that gym like a bad habit. You can do better. There's plenty of fish in the sea. Your Mom never liked that gym anyway.

Ha! Well played.

I think your (more succinct) point about not making it to an inconvenient gym is probably spot on. I'm just surprised a business thought a location 3 miles, 1 draw bridge, 1 fixed bridge, and 5 major stoplights away would be equivalent or attractive to existing customers.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:33 AM

624 posts, read 692,853 times
If you like the gym and like the people, I say make the drive. If you find it's not worth it, fire them and go somewhere else.

A good gym is hard to find. I say give it a try.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Can you bike to it? I bike 5 miles to my gym regularly. It's a good warm up and cool down.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
Sounds like you go to O2. Can't you just go to the other one in WA? Or would that be even farther for you?

But like the other poster mentioned, if it's an inconvenience then there will be more excuses not to go. Biking would be a nice option, but probably not so in the summer.

Now that I think of it...I can't believe I used to walk more than a quarter mile in the snow everyday to go to the gym while living in Chicago. Now that's dedication

Old 09-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Sounds like you go to O2. Can't you just go to the other one in WA? Or would that be even farther for you?
That is the exact issue. For the current location, my house is one stoplight further on 61 and 2 on 17. The other O2 in West Ashley is at the 61/Glenn McConnell/Ashley River Road split- 9 or 10 stoplights- including Sam Rittenburg and a couple of smaller ones that also back up. I tend to go right after work- in that 4:45 to 5:45 time frame of traffic doom.

James Island is only 3 miles from the current location. From work this would be further than the current location but not as far as the outer WA location. From home it would be all 61 or 17 and then 3 miles Folly Road including the backups at Windermere, Maybank, and the James Island connector. That is bad on a weekday and even a Saturday/Sunday in warm weather can turn that from a quick drive to a potential PIA.

I know the new facility is supposed to be much nicer and have better equipment and group roooms but to be honest the current one really suits me. I do not need a cardio farm or too many lifting stations. The current spot has just enough free weights and machines to work around the typical Monday night upper body congestion and random busy day. So all the upgrades are not the enticement they might be for some people.

3 or 4 people who work out at the same general time as me bike or jog to the current location. I would be open to biking in general but the idea of biking the portion of Folly Road from 17 to the new location seems miserable.

I need to develop some of the discipline off you folks who would both drive and bike the longer distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: