Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:49 AM

370 posts, read 325,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward29455 View Post
I just doesn't seem right that they can overcharge for an item, and then when questioned about it simply say (something like) "Oh gosh, you caught that one, bad me" & then charge the amount they should have to begin with.
Why not? Mistakes happen...does that mean you're automatically owed something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:00 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
In retail that still show shelf prices typically they have a day/time when the employees are supposed to change the shelf price. It does not always happen. When it does, the store will give generally give the customer the lower price.

Many times an item will be placed on the wrong shelf, quite often by another shopper, so the item price and shelf price will not match.

Customers have been known to play games with price stickers and shelf prices to try and get a lower price.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Customers have been known to play games with price stickers and shelf prices to try and get a lower price.
No, surely not!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
You are in SC and I don't know what their laws are. My husband repaired scanners and doing so he came to see how things work in the grocery stores. In North Carolina we have people from the government that go in stores and check to see if the price listed is the price the register rings up. If too many items from a grocery row are not accurate, that row will be closed until it is accurate. If too many items in a store are not correct, the entire store is closed.

Grocery stores try really hard to make sure they are accurate but mistakes do happen. I forget which government agency controls that but it should be easy to find out. If you feel the grocery store or any store is advertising wrong prices, call the attorney general and report it. I am sure the attorney general will know who handles that.

Also, if a price is listed lower on the shelf with an item, the store has to sell it to you for that price. That doesn't include when the customer moves it. There has to be several things like that so you can clearly see it was meant to be that price. Not all people at the register know that. We have informed a few of them.

Many stores give you the item for free so you will help them keep a check on their prices because it is a big "no, no" to have the price wrong. They would rather have you tell them than learn it the hard way when they are being checked.

I have learned to check the sign to make sure the item is the one being advertised at that price by using the barcode numbers. Sometimes when things are close together it is hard to tell which corn the price is for. Is it peg corn, vacuum packed, or cream corn, etc.? Each one has a different barcode with different numbers.

Last edited by NCN; 10-24-2017 at 09:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 01:21 PM

10,104 posts, read 7,771,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
I consider it my lucky day

Harris teeter will reimburse me the (incorrect) price I paid & give me the item for free.
Love Harris Teeter. While standing at the register, I try to watch them scan my groceries and coupons but they start chatting and the way they apply coupons can be confusing. Sometimes, I've had big discrepancies and didn't realize it until I got home. Instead of going back to the store to fix it, I'll go to HarrisTeeter.com and write an email to them with my receipt uploaded and copy of the ad and they will put 5.00 or however much they owe me on my card. Then next time I go in and use my HT card, that amount will be applied. It saves me a trip to the store when I can get this done online.

Just yesterday when they had the double coupons, some of mine didn't double. Thank goodness I caught those at the register. Instead of calling over the manager to unlock the register, she fixed it to somehow put a credit of 8.00 on my order. You really have to watch the screen or look at your receipt when you get home but they always make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area