Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 PM

624 posts, read 694,600 times

Advertisements

Permit problems with the City of Charleston. Now not expected to open before the fall.

Incredible!

No details, but the source is solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 03:54 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,081 times
Thanks for that update. If you hear any details, please share!

Old 02-15-2018, 06:27 AM

624 posts, read 694,600 times
Will do. He didn't say why or what permits were a problem. I can't imagine. Structural? Architectural?

Old 02-15-2018, 06:33 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,076,592 times
Waiting on the permit to pour the concrete floor? lol

Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,662,871 times
Maybe they changed their minds because Doscher's is such a better deal than Whole paycheck.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 PM

973 posts, read 917,676 times
Never really understood the reasoning for WF choosing that area. Small plot of land. Got three other grocery stores within like a mile.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Never really understood the reasoning for WF choosing that area. Small plot of land. Got three other grocery stores within like a mile.
I thought the whole time that WF would want to be where the Doschers is. I think they like being near other higher end grocery stores (like they are in Mt P) and in inner West Ashley, the Harry T is THE higher end grocery store.

What I never expected is Doschers staying with WF building right next to them. Not that they'll be competing with each other that much. I'm very curious to know the terms of Doschers lease.

I had been guessing that when Amazon bought WF, they might have had some ideas on changes to the traditional WF store format. Maybe the permit delay is due to changes in the plan. (just speculating)

Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 PM

315 posts, read 262,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
WF is going where it's going because of its proximity to downtown, proximity to James Island, and the significantly higher traffic count of Savannah Highway. Most stores and retailers would kill to be inside of 526 on Savannah Hwy.

The only area where Doscher's and Whole Foods will really compete will be in their selection (and price) of local produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero
What I never expected is Doschers staying with WF building right next to them. Not that they'll be competing with each other that much. I'm very curious to know the terms of Doschers lease.
Anecdotally, I've heard Doscher's lease expires around 2020, and it's likely not to be renewed.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM

5,290 posts, read 6,232,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I thought the whole time that WF would want to be where the Doschers is. I think they like being near other higher end grocery stores (like they are in Mt P) and in inner West Ashley, the Harry T is THE higher end grocery store.

I had been guessing that when Amazon bought WF, they might have had some ideas on changes to the traditional WF store format. Maybe the permit delay is due to changes in the plan. (just speculating)
I've always thought Earth Fare was the higher end grocery for close in West Ashley. I shop that Teeter constantly but that is because of convenience. I actually prefer Publix but only go there when I'm already in the vicinity of one.

WF use to have a pretty detailed metric for what attracted them. The big two were traffic count and disposable household income (as opposed to total household income.) They also tended to like converting other retailers' existing stores. So I think the Mt P location was a result of being the first complex off the bridge for traffic and being able to use an old Bilo- I pretty sure it was a BiLo but it might have been a Pig.

The tricky thing will be the Publix on Lockwood starts siphoning off Teeter shoppers. If parking is acceptable I'll probably start shopping there on my way home.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I've always thought Earth Fare was the higher end grocery for close in West Ashley. I shop that Teeter constantly but that is because of convenience. I actually prefer Publix but only go there when I'm already in the vicinity of one.

WF use to have a pretty detailed metric for what attracted them. The big two were traffic count and disposable household income (as opposed to total household income.) They also tended to like converting other retailers' existing stores. So I think the Mt P location was a result of being the first complex off the bridge for traffic and being able to use an old Bilo- I pretty sure it was a BiLo but it might have been a Pig.

The tricky thing will be the Publix on Lockwood starts siphoning off Teeter shoppers. If parking is acceptable I'll probably start shopping there on my way home.
You're right about Earth Fare being a higher end grocery but I was thinking "traditional" grocery stores and (in my mind at least) I put EF into a specialty/health food store, just like I would Whole Foods. Publix vs HT is a tough comparison. It depends on the store. I live equal distances between the Publix and the HT on Harbor View and choose Publix most often but only because the HT at the end of Harbor View is the old Pig Wig that hasn't been remodeled yet. It's smaller and dingier than any other HT I can think of. I'd prefer the HT near Avondale if it were nearby.

I think the nearby income levels was probably also a big factor and that location (as opposed to the old Food Lion on 61 for instance) is definitely best for that.

I think you're right about the Publix on Lockwood. That will be a new and assumedly upscale store. It should attract a lot of Downtown and West Ashley business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area