Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2023, 11:53 AM

21 posts, read 22,374 times

Advertisements

My life plans recently changed and I find myself having to relocate to SC for business. In my 50's, no kids.

I'm looking at the greater Charleston area and would like some specific recommendations on where to purchase a modest home. My general criteria:

1. As safe and quiet neighborhood as possible.
2. Within a quick drive (or preferably walk) to amenities
3. Would love to live in a historic neighborhood or close to one.
4. Generally not a fan of HOA, so would like to avoid if at all possible.
5. I'd like to cap the purchase at 400K. Would consider 500's if the property was spectacular.

Would appreciate any thoughts and advice.
Thank you

Last edited by grend; 08-06-2023 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 01:34 PM

121 posts, read 92,577 times
Sounds like you are describing the West of the Ashley River neighborhood Avondale, 1950’s 2 & 3 bedroom ranch houses, might be tough at that price point.these areas have doubled in price in les than a decade.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:06 PM

21 posts, read 22,374 times
Thank you for the reply. Avondale does, indeed, seem ideal if I can find something suitable in my price range. If I must consider other nearby areas, is there any reason I shouldn't also consider Myrtle Beach? Or, perhaps more broadly, are there specific neighborhoods I should avoid?

Last edited by grend; 08-06-2023 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-06-2023, 04:05 PM

I’m 62 just just don’t care for MB, but it is a beach town that can be very affordable, lots of folks from the Midwest retire there. We have a second home just south of Georgetown SC, and very much enjoy the greater Pawleys Island area and Georgetown is really coming around and is becoming more upscale. Take a look at PI area, think you could a least get a nice condo or small house.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:13 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
If you want historic and affordable price in the Myrtle Beach area, you should look at downtown Conway. Its older than Myrtle beach so has an area of older homes that are more defined but would cost less now. Anywhere from 15 minutes to 40 minutes from the beach depending entirely on traffic.

As someone mentioned- Avondale has spiked in the last decade, and again in the last 2 years. Anything less than 600 is likely going to move quickly and if its less than 500 a flipper will put an immediate offer. People are being priced out of the neighborhoods 1-2 stoplights closer to the bridge and now paying those prices in Avondale. There are a couple of nearby neighborhoods that are similar- Byrnes Downs is more attractive but pricier (by sf) and has really small lots. Carolina Terrace has more character/smaller houses. I think Oak Forrest and Parkwood estates plus Pinecrest (between Sam Ritt and 61) also have some cute houses. The problem is that prices are still rising.

Someone mentioned Georgetown which I think has very attractive historic area but still a small town. Its only about 40m south of Myrtle Beach proper 25 minutes from north Mt Pleasant so if you are used to having to drive for more retail/options it would be serviceable.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:29 PM

The Avondale west Ashley area is about $500 a square foot these days.

We have a condo at Belle Isle, four miles south of Georgetown.everyone we know who need anything Georgetown can’t provide, prefer the pleasant trip to Mount Pleasant vs the utter chaos of Myrtle Beach.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Somewhere out of Charleston County - it's full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area