Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:17 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times

Advertisements

As someone who's contemplating moving down to Charleston I see a lot of anti-transplant sentiment and a lot of people saying "go back to Ohio". More so on Reddit than here but still see it here from time to time. Do you guys really hate outsiders? Or is it more don't come down here and try to make it like back home?

I see it's no longer up but see there was a website gobacktoohio.com and even saw this (ie attached image) I went on way back machine to see what the site used to be about and says Ohions all wear cargo shorts, put too much gel in their hair and won't stop talking about Chili, is that it? lol

Also, just curious why the hate for Ohionis specifically? I saw a chart that shows people from Virginia, California and Texas are the biggest number of transplants?
Attached Thumbnails
What's the history behind the whole "Go Back to Ohio" thing in Charleston?-goback_001.png   What's the history behind the whole "Go Back to Ohio" thing in Charleston?-goback1.png  

Last edited by doodlemagic; 07-20-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:55 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
It's just a joke with a small % of true sentiment behind it as the local infrastructure and vacation-like way of life gets overwhelmed with newcomers. Ohio just sounds funnier than the other states for some reason.
Most people I meet are "from off" and that includes myself even though I've been here 35 years.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
It's just a joke with a small % of true sentiment behind it as the local infrastructure and vacation-like way of life gets overwhelmed with newcomers. Ohio just sounds funnier than the other states for some reason.
Most people I meet are "from off" and that includes myself even though I've been here 35 years.
Okay thanks, was curious if its more in good fun or if people really dislike transplants. When my parents moved down to Charleston about 7 years back some friends who are locals told my mom she may have a harder time finding a job than a local but other than that they had a pretty good experience

Old 07-20-2018, 12:33 PM

624 posts, read 692,124 times
LOL

I moved here from Ohio almost 15 years ago and am familiar with this campaign. First of all, I find it hysterical. A lot of people from Ohio move to SC for some reason, I guess because it's the straightest shot to the ocean.

*Some* (not all) Ohioans stand out in various ways:

-Wearing Ohio Buckeyes anything in South Carolina is painful to see
-Talking about what SC doesn't have and how much better it is in Ohio
-Complaining about the heat
-Trying to turn SC into Ohio
-Constantly talking about Ohio as if it is a far-off land instead of another state just 600 miles away

It's hilarious. I tell you what, though. You really want to move to Ohio by the ocean? Try Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM

216 posts, read 299,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Okay thanks, was curious if its more in good fun or if people really dislike transplants. When my parents moved down to Charleston about 7 years back some friends who are locals told my mom she may have a harder time finding a job than a local but other than that they had a pretty good experience
Couple of points:

Local vs Non Local Phone number - pretty much common knowledge that most recruiters will look at LOCAL phone numbers before non-local or diving into a resume

Jobs - What type of job are you looking for? Will you transfer with your current company? What is your sector of work?

Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Pretty much everybody on these threads are transplants. There’s only like 2 or 3 true natives.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
LOL

I moved here from Ohio almost 15 years ago and am familiar with this campaign. First of all, I find it hysterical. A lot of people from Ohio move to SC for some reason, I guess because it's the straightest shot to the ocean.

*Some* (not all) Ohioans stand out in various ways:

-Wearing Ohio Buckeyes anything in South Carolina is painful to see
-Talking about what SC doesn't have and how much better it is in Ohio
-Complaining about the heat
-Trying to turn SC into Ohio
-Constantly talking about Ohio as if it is a far-off land instead of another state just 600 miles away

It's hilarious. I tell you what, though. You really want to move to Ohio by the ocean? Try Myrtle Beach.
I totally get the frustration with people comming from somewhere else and then complaining about how it was better back home, like well go back home then. That said not sure why Ohio gets all the hate when it's not even the state most transplants come from.

Seems New York, California and Texas are the most with Ohio being right in line with Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, etc, etc, etc. Read an interesting article about it a minute ago

https://www.postandcourier.com/archi...e9f17cb5d.html

Old 07-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Couple of points:

Local vs Non Local Phone number - pretty much common knowledge that most recruiters will look at LOCAL phone numbers before non-local or diving into a resume

Jobs - What type of job are you looking for? Will you transfer with your current company? What is your sector of work?
My mother was already living in Charleston while looking, but you make a good point about phone numbers. Even at my old job we didn't like hiring people who weren't living in Chicago as it always seemed to be a headache them not really being able to work because they were "settling in" looking for an apartment or getting their living situation setup when we needed them to be working. That and people not making the move by the deadline they were supposed to

Old 07-20-2018, 03:56 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Sometimes you don't want to change a number that is used for business or that you've simply had for a long time... You can create a Google Voice # with an 843 area code and have it forwarded to your current number.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
The Ohio thing has calmed down.
Truth: we lived in Cincinnati for 13 years before buying here 14 years ago & moving here 10 years ago. After many vacations here, we determined by 1997 that this would be our retirement home. We missed the ocean. We're native NY'ers - Long Island for 30 years. Best friends moved here in 1990 to "paradise" and our God-sons were born and raised here.
A fellow Cincinnatian clams that investors from Ohio bought a large tract on Hilton Head moons ago & thus the direct line to the ocean as someone else said. Who knows.
But it's true that when we got here 10 years ago there certainly were a LOT of Ohioans coming on down. I think that that distinction has gone away.
And no, we never felt unwelcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area