Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 PM

70 posts, read 76,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
LOL

I moved here from Ohio almost 15 years ago and am familiar with this campaign. First of all, I find it hysterical. A lot of people from Ohio move to SC for some reason, I guess because it's the straightest shot to the ocean.

*Some* (not all) Ohioans stand out in various ways:

-Wearing Ohio Buckeyes anything in South Carolina is painful to see
-Talking about what SC doesn't have and how much better it is in Ohio
-Complaining about the heat
-Trying to turn SC into Ohio
-Constantly talking about Ohio as if it is a far-off land instead of another state just 600 miles away

It's hilarious. I tell you what, though. You really want to move to Ohio by the ocean? Try Myrtle Beach.

I have an aversion to snakes and never saw one except in captivity but have spent almost my entire life in PA. If I move anyplace where the snake population is appreciable higher than here in a built up burb outside of Philly, I will not live close to grass, woods etc. and purchasing a home would mean making it as snake resistant as possible, with no grass and a "snake fence", if such a thing exists. (Read about them online.) If that means I'm bringing Philly to the South, so be it. Sorry, I have concluded I'm VERY urban. My grass cutter said he saw a snake in the back part of the yard once and now I avoid going to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM

3,864 posts, read 4,601,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
I have an aversion to snakes and never saw one except in captivity but have spent almost my entire life in PA. If I move anyplace where the snake population is appreciable higher than here in a built up burb outside of Philly, I will not live close to grass, woods etc. and purchasing a home would mean making it as snake resistant as possible, with no grass and a "snake fence", if such a thing exists. (Read about them online.) If that means I'm bringing Philly to the South, so be it. Sorry, I have concluded I'm VERY urban. My grass cutter said he saw a snake in the back part of the yard once and now I avoid going to that area.

I think that just means you're ̶a̶ ̶C̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶S̶l̶i̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ I mean "VERY urban". I grew up in the suburbs of Philly (Springfield) and used to catch snakes as a kid. There are likely to be more snakes down here but if you live in the city with little or no grass, then you're unlikely to run across one.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Couple of points:

Local vs Non Local Phone number - pretty much common knowledge that most recruiters will look at LOCAL phone numbers before non-local or diving into a resume

Jobs - What type of job are you looking for? Will you transfer with your current company? What is your sector of work?
I’m think that thinking might be outdated. Most people have cell phones these days and their phone number is just local to where they were when they bought their first phone. My number is from a city I lived in 20 years ago. Almost everybody I know moved here from somewhere else. If you ruled out everybody with a non local number you would be ruling out the majority of applicants who actually live locally.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
With mobile phones, the area code doesn’t mean quite what it used to. New York and New Jersey send the most migrants here according to articles I’ve read. I feel like most transplants like it here better and say so. I don’t get insulted if a transplant brings up something their native state or city does that SC or Charleston doesn’t do if it’s a good idea.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 AM

882 posts, read 1,464,635 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplUBFVsbtw

Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,114 times
Because too many people move here from Ohio and New York. You are right in saying many come from Texas, Virginia, and California, but those are all acceptable. Texas and Virginia are in the South. California is neutral. The problem is the northerners and that is what the resent is about. The culture is different. Like said above, it is rude for those from Ohio to fly their Ohio State flags and put big stickers on their vehicles. We hate Ohio State here, especially those of us that are Alumni from the two biggest state schools. It is also rude to talk trash about the Philadelphia Eagles, we hate them too. So, if you must come here from Ohio or New York, please don't broadcast it especially about your college teams!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Because too many people move here from Ohio and New York. You are right in saying many come from Texas, Virginia, and California, but those are all acceptable. Texas and Virginia are in the South. California is neutral. The problem is the northerners and that is what the resent is about. The culture is different. Like said above, it is rude for those from Ohio to fly their Ohio State flags and put big stickers on their vehicles. We hate Ohio State here, especially those of us that are Alumni from the two biggest state schools. It is also rude to talk trash about the Philadelphia Eagles, we hate them too. So, if you must come here from Ohio or New York, please don't broadcast it especially about your college teams!
Aside from college teams, Ohio actually seems like one of the most nuetral states. There’s no distinctive accent or dialect, it’s neither northernestern nor midwestern, it usually ranks dead smack in the middle of all those state rankings clickbait lists, it’s politically nuetral...etc.

I think of it as synonymous with “Anywhere USA”.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,356,551 times
"The" Ohio State..... really?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:48 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
One reason Ohioans get ragged on (teased) is there love for Ohio State football sets up a rivalry with USC and Clemson fans so the ragging/teasing is all in good spirits. The Northeast is not known as a football powerhouse thus they do not care much for college football so they are not seen as a rival.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:46 AM

606 posts, read 730,838 times
It's because Ohio folks drive like total idiots. They don't realize the left lane on a highway is for passing. They also don't get it that we don't give a rats ass about Buckeyes or Bobcats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area