Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful day for a walk on the historic streets of Charleston. No traffic, near empty streets, open parking, nice breeze... There's probably still time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
It's a beautiful day for a walk on the historic streets of Charleston. No traffic, near empty streets, open parking, nice breeze... There's probably still time.

Sounds wonderful especially the part about the near empty streets. That non-humid breeze feels so good.

I drove to Publix last evening and I was enjoying the non-traffic congestion. It reminded me of what once was years ago.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Don't be condescending. If this were really a serious storm hitting Charleston, I'll bet there would have been more than twice the number of folks evacuating. Just read the comments in this thread to see how many people said if it were a 3 or 4 hitting us directly, they'd be out of here. And many people typically wait til the last minute til they're sure where the hurricane is going. There are good arguments on both sides of the 526 extension debate, but the fact that we didn't have a big evacuation on Florence's miss is not one of them.
Twice the number of folks evacuating would have still been easy to evacuate with both lanes reversed on I-26. Sorry to be condescending but the smoke alarm analogy was just ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Twice the number of folks evacuating would have still been easy to evacuate with both lanes reversed on I-26.
Despite your fallacious reasoning (since there was no reason for evacuations en masse for this storm and the roads weren't tested) based on your 526 bias, let us for a second concede to your point that the extension isn't necessary for that specific reason.

Hurricanes happen sporadically, people are stuck in traffic for hours on end every day trying to get in and out of John's during rush hour, which quite frankly these days is most of the day. And they're building more homes. That's reason one through nine for the 526 extension, facilitating hurricane evacuation is reason ten.

If you want a better analogy, your sewer pipes are too small for your house because you've expanded it so much, the poop is backing up every time someone uses the bathroom, but don't want to instal bigger pipes because it might handle a bunch of marbles three times a decade. In short, the daily problem usurps the infrequent one.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times
This is pretty cool. It has nothing to do with Charleston but found it in another forum discussing the hurricane. I never knew this even existed but interesting. It's 35 miles off shore near Charlotte. Guy bought it for 85,000 to reno for bed and breakfast.

fptower.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VKjWNOIovk

This guy is answering questions live now but usually this is the live cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Despite your fallacious reasoning (since there was no reason for evacuations en masse for this storm and the roads weren't tested) based on your 526 bias, let us for a second concede to your point that the extension isn't necessary for that specific reason.

Hurricanes happen sporadically, people are stuck in traffic for hours on end every day trying to get in and out of John's during rush hour, which quite frankly these days is most of the day. And they're building more homes. That's reason one through nine for the 526 extension, facilitating hurricane evacuation is reason ten.

If you want a better analogy, your sewer pipes are too small for your house because you've expanded it so much, the poop is backing up every time someone uses the bathroom, but don't want to instal bigger pipes because it might handle a bunch of marbles three times a decade. In short, the daily problem usurps the infrequent one.
Oh I totally get where you're coming from. I just don't see the hurricane as the reason

Does anybody know where I can find information on what the sustained winds were in Wilmington and for how long those sustained winds lasted?

Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM

108 posts, read 101,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post

Does anybody know where I can find information on what the sustained winds were in Wilmington and for how long those sustained winds lasted?
Weather.gov put in the location, then once the page loads, find the 3 day history link
https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KILM.html

Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 PM

That's awesome. Thanks for the link. From what I can see it looks like at the airport in Wilmington they had winds over 60 miles an hour sustained for about an 8 hour period today with highs up to 87 miles per hour sustained winds. Thanks for the great link

Old 09-14-2018, 02:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Chiming in on the Weather Channel debate...
https://www.facebook.com/steve.brook...5468717744165/

Check out the 2 kids nonchalantly walking in the background. BUSTED!

Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Chiming in on the Weather Channel debate...
https://www.facebook.com/steve.brook...5468717744165/

Check out the 2 kids nonchalantly walking in the background. BUSTED!
Oh f*** dude. Weather Channel sucks. That is all. Bunch of f****** Liars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area