Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 11:16 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times

Advertisements

Like different views on johns island vs west Ashley in the near future...

Both have much planned for the future, but which will really materialize? Which area has the money to really put the future plans into reality?

Improving Infrastructure is the big future plan for Johns Island, as well as commercial properties coming along Maybank Hwy...

while new businesses (Harris Teeter, West Ashley Circle, widening of Glenn McConnell are planned for West Ashley as well as revitalization is planned for much of west Ashley...

Which one will really grow and is more likely to continue to development for the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:52 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
They both will grow, the question is how do they plan on solving their traffic issues?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:55 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
I think WA will take the lead, only because it's already more developed and a few years ahead of JI. That being said WA could really pull ahead if the whole area was within the city limits. The city tries to plan and develop and has zoning laws while SAPSD has nothing to contribute. All they do is fire and garbage. The county does it's share, but the whole area needs to have 'one' government to make things work better.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM

36 posts, read 28,308 times
Given John’s topography, development will be more slow walked, at least its supposed to be.....
Lots of nice talk about growth boundaries and rural preservation but subdivisions keep being waved through. Johns will resemble James Island in the near term. Good luck to Wadmalaw

Inner loop WA will continue to thrive, Whole Foods is already boosting values in the surrounding neighborhoods. Citadel will be years to turnaround, if the City ignores its own smart growth guidelines outer WA will be just like suburban Atlanta. A hot mess.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
There are so many planned developments for West Ashley I can't keep tract. I was just looking at the DRB agenda for the their next meeting and another apartment complex is being planned for the West Ashley Circle.

Also, plans are now up for city review for the new MUSC West Campus at Citadel Mall (Epic Center) in the old JC Penney wing.

Johns Island will be getting significant infrastructure improvements over the next 2-5 years and hopefully public schools will be improving.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
I guess a big factor is if 526 is approved this November or not for both areas.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:51 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
The 526 extension will be an important driver for both areas but especially for Johns Island. WA is already way ahead of JI in terms of development but JI will close the gap a bit as more infrastructure gets developed, I'm guessing. They both have traffic issues but all of Charleston has traffic issues.

Inner WA stands to grow in values as there's very little to develop there anymore. I can see the day where what's happening in Mt P, with good houses being torn down to build grand houses, starts happening in inner WA. There's a lot of lower quality houses there with lot values going up fast. Just wait til Trader Joes or someone similar announces a presence there. OT a little bit... Whatever happened to Lucky's Market's poking around WA? I imagined once Kroger dumped a bunch of money into them that they would be looking for just such a location to expand.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 PM

310 posts, read 258,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
The 526 extension will be an important driver for both areas but especially for Johns Island. WA is already way ahead of JI in terms of development but JI will close the gap a bit as more infrastructure gets developed, I'm guessing. They both have traffic issues but all of Charleston has traffic issues.

Inner WA stands to grow in values as there's very little to develop there anymore. I can see the day where what's happening in Mt P, with good houses being torn down to build grand houses, starts happening in inner WA. There's a lot of lower quality houses there with lot values going up fast. Just wait til Trader Joes or someone similar announces a presence there. OT a little bit... Whatever happened to Lucky's Market's poking around WA? I imagined once Kroger dumped a bunch of money into them that they would be looking for just such a location to expand.
Kroger bought Harris Teeter. They also have a large investment in Lucky's Organic Market. Basically, they didn't want to compete with themselves with the larger Teeters in West Ash.

Lowes Foods and Aldi are allegedly scouting West Ashley, but that's all I know. Trader Joe's has slowed their new store openings, so they are likely a few years off.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
Kroger bought Harris Teeter. They also have a large investment in Lucky's Organic Market. Basically, they didn't want to compete with themselves with the larger Teeters in West Ash.

Lowes Foods and Aldi are allegedly scouting West Ashley, but that's all I know. Trader Joe's has slowed their new store openings, so they are likely a few years off.

Whole Foods is definitely a competitor to HT right down the road. Their Hot bar/salad bar set up is robust enough to be competition to East Bay Deli and some of the other area restaurants too. I guess Kroger/Lucky's feels HT is better off defending it's turf on its own. I wonder if that scenario would have played out the same way in a more affluent area like Mt P if it were to be an option.

I've never been in an Aldi's or Lowes Food.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Whole Foods is definitely a competitor to HT right down the road. Their Hot bar/salad bar set up is robust enough to be competition to East Bay Deli and some of the other area restaurants too. I guess Kroger/Lucky's feels HT is better off defending it's turf on its own. I wonder if that scenario would have played out the same way in a more affluent area like Mt P if it were to be an option.

I've never been in an Aldi's or Lowes Food.
Lowe's is amazing. Truly a great grocery store. I live off of 61 and Harris Teeter is the best choice for the area I live in, but I work right next door to Lowes and so my wife is always calling me, hey could you grab a few things from Lowes...

That Lowes store is super clean, has very nice presentation, and reasonably priced. Plus I love their market vibe they have going on in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: