Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:01 PM

13 posts, read 15,877 times

Advertisements

Hi all, first of all, congratulations to you all for living in Charleston! Someday I hope and pray I'll join you

I am looking for some advice. My in-laws (in their 70s) have been looking for a second home for over ten years. They are as far apart in what they want as two people can be. My FIL wants to be someplace that isn't house on top of house, where he can have some solitude. My MIL wants to be in the center of everything. My FIL has recently decided that he has to compromise or he is going to be living by himself

My husband and I visit Charleston at least once a year and it occurred to us that one of the coastal communities of Charleston might be a good compromise for them. However, because I live in Florida, we've never visited the coast when we visit. We've got beaches out our ears down here. We'll be driving up at the end of the month to look around and wanted to narrow down our search a bit in advance if possible.

These are the factors that we are trying to weigh:

1) Easy access to tennis for MIL.
2) Less congested for FIL.
3) Vacation rental potential for income, although I don't think they will want to rent it out more than 20% of the time, and don't care if they have to give up the "optimum" weeks to do so.
4) Shorter distance to downtown Charleston.
5) Condo or townhome because they don't want any upkeep.

They are looking to spend about $600,000 but might go up if the unit shows a strong rental record.

Here's what I THINK I know so far (but please correct me!)

Of the following communities, order of "development" goes from Wild Dunes/Isle of Palms (most developed), then Kiawah, then Seabrook (least developed). My FIL absolutely loves boating (in fact, he's a retired sailing instructor) so we are counting on easy access to boating drawing him in. He also loves downtown Charleston, just wouldn't love to live there.

I think that Isle of Palms would be my MIL's preference because it's the shortest distance to downtown. Is this an area worth searching or is it much more congested than an area like Seabrook? Is there a different community I should look at instead?

I've called a couple of random realtors (haven't gotten a response but it is the holiday season) however, my concern is that the realtors focus on one particular area and until I can narrow it down, not sure if I should commit to one.

Thanks for your help and happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Actually, I'd suggest Hilton Head

Old 12-31-2018, 12:42 PM

Thanks! Unfortunately Hilton Head is about a 2 hour drive (I think) from Charleston so that precludes one of the things my MIL is looking for. She wants to be near a city.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:23 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLANATIVE530 View Post
Hi all, first of all, congratulations to you all for living in Charleston! Someday I hope and pray I'll join you

I am looking for some advice. My in-laws (in their 70s) have been looking for a second home for over ten years. They are as far apart in what they want as two people can be. My FIL wants to be someplace that isn't house on top of house, where he can have some solitude. My MIL wants to be in the center of everything. My FIL has recently decided that he has to compromise or he is going to be living by himself

My husband and I visit Charleston at least once a year and it occurred to us that one of the coastal communities of Charleston might be a good compromise for them. However, because I live in Florida, we've never visited the coast when we visit. We've got beaches out our ears down here. We'll be driving up at the end of the month to look around and wanted to narrow down our search a bit in advance if possible.

3) Vacation rental potential for income, although I don't think they will want to rent it out more than 20% of the time, and don't care if they have to give up the "optimum" weeks to do so.

They are looking to spend about $600,000 but might go up if the unit shows a strong rental record.

Of the following communities, order of "development" goes from Wild Dunes/Isle of Palms (most developed), then Kiawah, then Seabrook (least developed). My FIL absolutely loves boating (in fact, he's a retired sailing instructor) so we are counting on easy access to boating drawing him in. He also loves downtown Charleston, just wouldn't love to live there.

I think that Isle of Palms would be my MIL's preference because it's the shortest distance to downtown. Is this an area worth searching or is it much more congested than an area like Seabrook? Is there a different community I should look at instead?

I've called a couple of random realtors (haven't gotten a response but it is the holiday season) however, my concern is that the realtors focus on one particular area and until I can narrow it down, not sure if I should commit to one.

Near Charleston I'd say Wild Dunes, Seabrook Island, possibly Kiawah (600k is 3br cottageish), and parts of Isle of Palms. I'm not 100% of the vacation rental policies of Seabrook but the other areas are ok. Steer clear of Sullivan's Island as they have banned new home owners from doing any rentals less than 30 day contracts which will restrict you to non-vacation rentals only.
Another quieter option would be Bull's Bay.
Up the coast Pawley's Island is nice, down the coast Hilton Head and Tybee Island (Savannah, GA)

If you're a Realtor in SC then you can service all of SC, however it's generally best to service the areas where you know the market best. That being said, most realtors take this time of year off and only us hardcore folks are still working

My wife and I own a vacation rental llc and manage quite a few ocean front vacation rentals around the Charleston beaches and it can be a bit tricky to keep abreast of all the new ordinances, but as an opinion, the best spot for our rentals for income producing has been Folly Beach. We typically keep those homes booked solid a year in advance. Some of the other amenities (such as tennis) might be a bit of a commute for you from Folly though depending on where you chose to live.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,615 times
In their 70's, they'd need to be "free thinkers" to enjoy Folly Beach as their primary home. We get more rigid as we age (says the 65 year old former "free thinker").

Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Hah! They are most definitely not "free thinkers." Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-01-2019, 08:23 AM

1,124 posts, read 926,910 times
Quote:

Um, try Florida. At this point it’s what the coast is turning into.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Look at Sun City/Del Webb, Charleston. While not in Charleston, it is close.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Thank you so much for all who are kind enough to respond. I want to clarify that proximity to Charleston is the driver, and that means close enough to drive over reasonably quick to visit restaurants and galleries. We are looking for a 30 minute drive at most, which I think is going to preclude a lot of communities, even Seabrooke.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for all who are kind enough to respond. I want to clarify that proximity to Charleston is the driver, and that means close enough to drive over reasonably quick to visit restaurants and galleries. We are looking for a 30 minute drive at most, which I think is going to preclude a lot of communities, even Seabrooke.
Yes Seabrook is more like 1.5 hours to Downtown.

For vacation rental property. Near tennis courts, a bit removed from hustle bustle, in that price range there's a few places that come to mind.

McClellanville - There's a decent vacation rental business there, although you'd have to travel to Mount Pleasant for tennis.

Mount Pleasant - Plenty of riverfront homes or marsh view homes with tennis nearby, not as desirable for vacation rental

Isle of Palms - Has pretty much all the amenities plus the Intercoastal waterway and Atlantic Ocean

Folly Beach - I'd say 65% of the homes there are vacation rentals, not as many amenities as Isle of Palms but short drive to everything.

Wild Dunes - Hit's on all the requirements you listed.

Other riverfront areas to consider: Johns Island, Meggett, James Island, Wadmalaw Island, Bulls Bay, Daniel Island, and Awendaw. Pretty much surrounded by water here so there's plenty of areas to choose from. Not as much short term rental potential in these areas but still plenty of longer term potential.

The Folly side of James Island does do well with STR's in the marsh front condos there as does the east side of Mount Pleasant. So don't rule those out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area