Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:53 AM

77 posts, read 146,566 times

Advertisements

Just spent a wonderful 2 weeks in Folly Beach on vaca and scouting the Charleston area as a potential place to settle in retirement. We are officially retired now but family responsibilities are holding us to SE PA for the foreseeable future so our plan, thought is to buy a place in SC (or we also like Wilmington NC area) and use it as a 2nd home, using 3 months or so each year, then settle permanently there when we can.

Is it true that, in SC, taxes are ~4X higher for a non-resident/2nd home over a full time resident home? Are there exceptions, ways to bypass that, basic rules around it?

We found a few nice communities we can easily see ourselves buying in, fwiw The Ponds in Summerville (too far from Charleston and beaches though?) and Stonoview on Johns Island. We got in nice long conversations with local residents who were very happy with each place but after we heard about the tax situation it probably doesn't matter.

Not judging the tax situation, perfectly understandable, just disappointed.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 07:30 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,962,950 times
The taxes on non-Owner Occupied single family homes are calculated at 6% of Assessed Value, as compared to Owner Occupied Homes at 4% of Assessed Value. The Assessed Value is a convoluted formula, and there is a Senior Citizen Tax break.

You can estimate RE Taxes on a $280K - $300K home to be about $2K for Owner Occupied and about $4K for out of state owners (both plus/minus 10% or so).

That's a small difference to pay for owning a piece of Paradise.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
The taxes on non-Owner Occupied single family homes are calculated at 6% of Assessed Value, as compared to Owner Occupied Homes at 4% of Assessed Value. The Assessed Value is a convoluted formula, and there is a Senior Citizen Tax break.

You can estimate RE Taxes on a $280K - $300K home to be about $2K for Owner Occupied and about $4K for out of state owners (both plus/minus 10% or so).

That's a small difference to pay for owning a piece of Paradise.
Thank you.

You make a strong argument with your last line!

Last edited by Iconic11; 06-02-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 09:21 AM

657 posts, read 743,431 times
If Pennsylvania doesn’t have different taxes, you could just claim residency in S.C. to get the cheaper tax rate.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM

14,295 posts, read 14,871,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
If Pennsylvania doesn’t have different taxes, you could just claim residency in S.C. to get the cheaper tax rate.
Why do I think PA thinks like SC? Meaning if one owns a home but does not reside there, they are probably renting it which means making a profit (hopefully) thus being a business and tax differently.

I have lived and owned property in at least 6 states and in the end, they all get their taxes. As an example. MA has a yearly vehicle tax they call an Excise Tax. SC has a yearly vehicle they call a Property Tax. Bottom line, no matter what the call it they both get to tax your car.

Once got in a discussion with someone in another state. They vehemently denied paying a tax on their car. I searched and showed them while not a state tax, there was a county tax on their vehicle. They agreed and apologized.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 AM

3,873 posts, read 4,634,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
Just spent a wonderful 2 weeks in Folly Beach on vaca and scouting the Charleston area as a potential place to settle in retirement. We are officially retired now but family responsibilities are holding us to SE PA for the foreseeable future so our plan, thought is to buy a place in SC (or we also like Wilmington NC area) and use it as a 2nd home, using 3 months or so each year, then settle permanently there when we can.

Is it true that, in SC, taxes are ~4X higher for a non-resident/2nd home over a full time resident home? Are there exceptions, ways to bypass that, basic rules around it?

We found a few nice communities we can easily see ourselves buying in, fwiw The Ponds in Summerville (too far from Charleston and beaches though?) and Stonoview on Johns Island. We got in nice long conversations with local residents who were very happy with each place but after we heard about the tax situation it probably doesn't matter.

Not judging the tax situation, perfectly understandable, just disappointed.

Thanks.
Taxes on a second home/investment property are roughly 3x what they are for a primary residence. It varies a bit by county so if you're looking in Summerville, you would be in Dorchester or Berkeley County (The Ponds would be Dorchester) while on Johns Island it would be Charleston County. The tax estimators can be found here:

Charleston County:
https://www.charlestoncounty.org/dep...-estimator.php

Berkeley County:
https://www.berkeleycountysc.gov/dru...itor/estimator

Dorchester County makes it more complicated. You can go to this site and download the 2019 Tax estimator which is an xls spreadsheet:
https://www.dorchestercountysc.gov/g...vices/assessor

Or, you can just ask your Realtor to figure this out for you. The figures will be estimates based on your purchase price and 2018 taxes, but they should be pretty close.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM

528 posts, read 1,518,081 times
I will echo what the others have said...the taxes will not be quite as high as 4 times. Owner occupant homes are taxed at a 4% rate and non-owner occupied properties are taxed at a 6% rate. This translates into a rate of 2 times more than the owner occupancy rate. The only way around this is to declare the SC property your primary residence, which it may be beneficial to do dependent on the PA laws.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:31 PM

Thanks, all. Great info.

We haven't involved a realtor as we are still window shopping a bit.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 PM

63 posts, read 53,439 times
To talk about the other part of your message...I bought a house at The Ponds a couple months ago when I visited back in March. New construction. I won't be moving there til November. The neighborhood is absolutely beautiful. The farmhouse is gorgeous as well as the pool. Has a very nice YMCA in the neighborhood with all sorts of classes and fitness groups. Very quite, clean place to live. I believe it took me about 45 minutes to get to the ocean from there. Not too big of a deal for me. If you have any questions about The Ponds feel free to hit me up.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDude2019 View Post
To talk about the other part of your message...I bought a house at The Ponds a couple months ago when I visited back in March. New construction. I won't be moving there til November. The neighborhood is absolutely beautiful. The farmhouse is gorgeous as well as the pool. Has a very nice YMCA in the neighborhood with all sorts of classes and fitness groups. Very quite, clean place to live. I believe it took me about 45 minutes to get to the ocean from there. Not too big of a deal for me. If you have any questions about The Ponds feel free to hit me up.
Thanks for that info, it's good to hear. We thought The Ponds was very nice. We also checked out Summers Corner and Pines at Gahagan which we're both nice too. Corner might be too family oriented (?) and Pines too retired for us. We do want our family and friends to be able to use our home when we're not there (not rent) and don't want to fight HOAs or nosy neighbors.

We only plan on going to the beach one day/week but 45 mins might be a bit too much. We didn't get a chance to see "downtown" Summerville though, maybe it would lure us out that way. Our main wish, though, is to get another boat and get out enjoying and fishing inshore waters. Any place we set-up would have to be reasonably close to water for us to get out a few weekdays/week (we don't fight the boat traffic on weekends).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area