Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 11,603 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the country were it was quiet. I now live near the IOP connector in a city for the first time, and one thing I noticed I didn’t miss during our 2 weeks of stay-out-home orders was the return of the daily sirens going up and down the IOP connector, and 17 for that matter. For two weeks it was blissfully quiet. Traffic was minimal. People were out jogging, walking, bike riding and everyone was super-friendly waving and saying a few words. Reminded me of the “old days”.

Now the sirens are back. I didn’t miss that sound at all. Hope everyone is staying safe. Feel free to disagree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,013,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynS View Post
I grew up in the country were it was quiet. I now live near the IOP connector in a city for the first time, and one thing I noticed I didn’t miss during our 2 weeks of stay-out-home orders was the return of the daily sirens going up and down the IOP connector, and 17 for that matter. For two weeks it was blissfully quiet. Traffic was minimal. People were out jogging, walking, bike riding and everyone was super-friendly waving and saying a few words. Reminded me of the “old days”.

Now the sirens are back. I didn’t miss that sound at all. Hope everyone is staying safe. Feel free to disagree with me.
lol I can help you with that...

Actually, I see a pivot coming in RE where folks are going to want to move a little further away from their neighbors. You longing for that quiet again is confirmation that there will be a good bit of folks looking for the same thing. Wait til everyone hits the roads again, congestion is not going to sit well with many.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 AM

727 posts, read 721,340 times
I don't have the sirens since I'm not near a main road. It hasn't been quiet during the stay at home time where I live. People who would normally go to work or school all day are home making noise.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:38 PM

3,872 posts, read 4,623,793 times
I loved the reduced traffic even if I didn't like the cause. It was like I remember it 35 years ago. At least two people have sent me this video:

https://youtu.be/Nw5KQMXDiM4

Old 05-04-2020, 06:30 PM

10,185 posts, read 7,848,445 times
I miss the lighter traffic also. A few days ago I had to go to go downtown Sville. The traffic is back and it even seemed worse than ever before. Traffic was bumper to bumper all over the place. People were everywhere all crammed in wherever they could fit. It's like going Christmas shopping the day before Christmas every day of the week.

Video in the link is so true.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,484,220 times
The lighter traffic and fact that rush hour no longer exists is nice. Amazing that people want to rush to get back to sitting in traffic so quick. Hopefully this virus changes the way we work, commute, and handle trips. Apparently most rush hour trips are not work-related. Maybe this can change that.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:25 PM

547 posts, read 1,199,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
lol I can help you with that...

Actually, I see a pivot coming in RE where folks are going to want to move a little further away from their neighbors. You longing for that quiet again is confirmation that there will be a good bit of folks looking for the same thing. Wait til everyone hits the roads again, congestion is not going to sit well with many.
We're building homes up in Ridgeville and I can assure you we'll see a significant uptick in activity over the next 12-18 months. People are without a doubt going to want to be a little more spread out after all the dust settles with this ordeal.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:12 PM

50 posts, read 59,976 times
Don't worry come fall there will be a second wave.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,840,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchrismsw View Post
Don't worry come fall there will be a second wave.
IMO, that's optimistic. With both short-term rentals and restaurants opening back up, I don't see how we avoid a second wave by the end of June. That's not meant to be critical; I know folks need to work. Regardless, actions bring consequences.

To the OP's original post... As a hermit wannabe, social distancing has been my preferred lifestyle since retiring a number of years ago. Looking back, I can only wonder what I was thinking when I moved to the SC coast.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:11 PM

25 posts, read 11,603 times
This was my first chance to get back to this site and I was SO surprised at the comments. I loved them all. I especially loved that Utube video that I will be sending to friends. I’m glad to see I was not the only one who actually enjoyed the calmness during those two weeks; enjoying seeing other people taking a ride on the roads with little traffic and nowhere to go; Families biking/walking together that never biked or walked together before because our lives were so crazy.

I too am afraid there will be a second wave, maybe even a third this winter. I hate that it took this epidemic to make us see how our lives can change in a moment. But there’s always the good parts that come out of bad situations. I do love this area.. the scenery is so beautiful.. but the congestion, and noise, I could do without. Thank you all for your comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area