Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,529 times

Advertisements

......I would love to move south from upstate NY, go back to school and finish my nursing degree and continue to work in x-ray/mammo until I finish school. Charleston sounds like it may be the perfect place to do everything I want. Are there any areas that have hospitals and colleges in close proximity to one another? What towns would be within a 30 minute commute? I would love to find a quaint home in an area where I feel safe my myself. I have 2 kids in college so I will be making the move solo (until they return to the nest). Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind a social life either. Am I asking for too much, I'm nearing 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i think you have wonderful plans for the future. finishing nursing is a great idea.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:44 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,789 times
Try and stay close to Downtown Charleston/Mt.Pleasant. Living someplace like Mt. Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley, Daniel Island or Downtown would put you under 30 minutes from just about every hospital in the region, save those out towards Summerville. Everything else on your list would also be covered.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 PM

459 posts, read 1,643,117 times
Honey, you got too many options to list, with what you're looking for.
Burn up that keyboard doing research, then bring your newfound knowledge to town and scout out where you want to be.
Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:13 PM

23 posts, read 73,795 times
I go to College of Charleston located right downtown along Calhoun street and right up the block along Calhoun street is MUSC, the meducial university of South Carolina. For your interests, it is the perfect place!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 9,529 times
Thanks for your help. I'm so excited about leaving Newburgh, (snow, ice, taxes, traffic). Seems all I do is google maps and scout hospitals. Can you keep me posted on areas, I will be down for a visit before the end of the year. Thanks so much!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:35 PM

899 posts, read 3,492,437 times
Newburgh, wow. It is SO much better here.
Trust me, I know both places. I'll be flying into Stewart in two weeks.

Let us know before you visit,
(hint - sign up for AirTran web deals for Stewart to CHS).

But be forewarned. We have what you want, but it ain't cheap here.
jim

Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 AM

397 posts, read 1,072,057 times
sorry Jim, but I am FROM Newburgh and live here, and I feel it's much cheaper here. It's also unbelievably nicer, and SO MUCH MORE healthy and active fun things to do each day, I could go on and on forever. I just got back from there Thursday (flew into/out Stewart) visiting my grandmother and I was SO EXCITED to be back here it wasn't funny. Trish, you'll never regret your decision!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:56 AM

899 posts, read 3,492,437 times
Cheaper here than Newburgh? I'm surprised, although I forgot that taxes alone can make up that difference! She may need to book only a one way flight.
jim

Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM

186 posts, read 578,449 times
Default Much better in Summerville

Jim,

You've been gone too long! OMG..........much better than Newburgh. Just figure the winters alone, never mind the taxes and traffic and crime and the traffic and the shortage of affordable housing and the traffic,and the traffic and the shortage of jobs and the traffic...........and did I mention .......the traffic!

Just came form the Mets/Yankees at Shea.....Lets Go Mets! We were in a limo but still suffered through the traffic! I can't wait to leave here...too many people, too many cars............

Jim, talk to you soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area