Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times

Advertisements

Where did I say "no links"?
Just curious.

And yes, you have repeatedly made personal attacks.
Not that it bothers me, keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Now you are trying to divert the discussion.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 PM

Okay, so then discuss.

You now are aware of what racism is and that the Bushies ran a race based campaign against McCain in SC in 2000, because it works in a race based society.

So, now I've presented what you asked for.

So now, you discuss.

If you wish to.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 PM

No I asked you to define racism in your own words not in a link or a cut and paste way, give examples of what YOU have witnessed with your own eyes not someone else's story or a story that is nearly 40 years old. Keep real and relevant.

You say that Bush ran a racist campaign nearly 8 years ago and you sighted unreliable web sites and not personal experience.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Own eyes:

Let's start early. "Whites Only" water fountains, schools, doctor's offices, workplaces.

Then, JFK got shot; I was in elementary school. Even to a kid, it really was not hard to figure out: white men we saw on the way home were happy; white women mostly nervous. But overall, a happy mood. Until I get in the house..... our maid (mother had to work, father dead) is crying. Kept saying "Oh God, oh God."

You did not have to be Albert Einstein to figure that one out, seeing as I'd just had my young self yanked out of Blessed Sacrament and slapped into a public elementary because the catholics- like Kennedy wanted- were integrating.

Then, cops arresting old black women because they wanted equal pay as the white women at Roper Hospital, circa 1970.

Then two race riots: both started by whites.

Then the speeches of L. Mendel Rivers, Strom Thurmond, etc.

Then, the black baby smear (I received one of the calls at a relatives house) that you don't want to believe, but none the less is a fact to anyone in the media or who's paying attention.

More I could say. Much more.

How about you?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 PM

Ok:

"Whites Only" anything went out Over 40 years ago with the equal rights movement.

JFK was shot again Over 40 years ago.

Equal pay at Roper Hospital, circa 1970, again nearly 40 years ago.

What two riots started by whites, The Rodney King riots were started by blacks over a criminal who faught against the police.

L. Mendel Rivers and Strom Thurman are both dead along with their racist beliefs.

The black baby smear, I didn't say it didn't happen, I said you didn't prove that Bush or Rove was behind it.

As for me, yes I have seen racism.

Setting college entrance requirements lower for blacks, women or anyone else because of what they look at is both discriminatory and insulting. It says just because you are different you are not as good as white males.

Fourty plus years of "welfare for the less fortunate" has done nothing but perpetuate the welfare mentality of the more babies I have the more money I get, this one has crossed lines of all colors but it is still insulting to say that you can not make it on your own just because of where you were born.

Everyone needs to let go of the hate, it will eat you up inside and cloud your judgement.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Ok:

"Whites Only" anything went out Over 40 years ago with the equal rights movement.

JFK was shot again Over 40 years ago.

Equal pay at Roper Hospital, circa 1970, again nearly 40 years ago.

What two riots started by whites, The Rodney King riots were started by blacks over a criminal who faught against the police.

L. Mendel Rivers and Strom Thurman are both dead along with their racist beliefs.

The black baby smear, I didn't say it didn't happen, I said you didn't prove that Bush or Rove was behind it.

As for me, yes I have seen racism.

Setting college entrance requirements lower for blacks, women or anyone else because of what they look at is both discriminatory and insulting. It says just because you are different you are not as good as white males.

Fourty plus years of "welfare for the less fortunate" has done nothing but perpetuate the welfare mentality of the more babies I have the more money I get, this one has crossed lines of all colors but it is still insulting to say that you can not make it on your own just because of where you were born.

Everyone needs to let go of the hate, it will eat you up inside and cloud your judgement.

The race riots were at St. A. HS and County Hall, fyi.

I agree about the "hate" part. The welfare slamming, and the failure to acknowledge 300 years of slavery/Jim Crow, I would argue are classic symptoms of it. But it could just be a regurgitation of what you've read in the Post Courier. As I said, I don't try to guess motivation.

Guess we'll leave it at that.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM

When were those riots?

This country hasn't existed for 300 years so how could there have been 300 years of slavery here?

There is still slavery in this world, just look at subsaharian Africa.

But as a second generation American I and none of my ancestors own slaves or have ever owned slaves.

As for 'Welfare Slamming' as you put it, all I did was point out that it is a perpetuating system that keeps ALMOST EVERYONE on it down.

I don't read the Post and Courier so I have no Idea as to what you are refering.

So your argument is that just because someone else owned slaves in the 1800's, and the Jim Crow laws existed, which were obolished in the sixties, that SC and all it's white enhabitants are racists?

I am not trying to guess anyones motives, I am trying to see why you show so much disdane for an area in which you no longer live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area