Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM

20,086 posts, read 20,890,524 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about the home buying process. Up here in NY it is a nightmare, even with the most straight foward and uncomplicated deals.
(On average, it takes approx 3 months from contracts to close.)

What expenses involved are due by the buyer(ha,that would be me)?
(costs aside from the norm, such as a home inspection, mortgage costs etc...) Exactly what am I responsible for digging into my wallet for?

How long does the process take from the time you sign the purchase contract to the actual closing?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Costs are negotiable, but the Realtors can answer that better than I, I have seen closings in less than a month.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Closings can happen as quickly as the Buyer, Lender, Seller and closing attorney can get everything squared away. I've done it in less than 7days with a ready, willing and able group. The norm is 30 days or less from contract to close, barring delays for repairs and the like.

Typical Buyer expenses...

Earnest Money Deposit: Depends on the purchase price, usually no more than 1%, sometimes no larger than $1000. Every contract is different, every seller is different.

Home Inspection $250-$400 is the norm at the moment, depending on size of the home, age of the home and inspector costs. Could go up if it's an older home and you're adding things like lead-based paint inspections, i.e. prior to 1978, radon inspections, etc.

The Seller typically takes care of the CL-100 (termite and moisture inspection), but if it's an As Is sale, you'll want to do this yourself. Varies , $75 to $150.

Your down payment. 3.5% for FHA, 10-20% for Conventional.

Just about everything else is wrapped into your closing costs at the table, attorney's fees, escrows for insurance and taxes, origination points for your lender, etc. Typically 3-4% of the purchase price would cover all of the closing costs on your side, including the prepaids for your lender, escrows, etc. If you can get the Seller to agree to pay this for you, that's money that you won't have to come out of pocket for.

It's a bit generic, every purchase is different, but I hope it helps.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,778,777 times
The length of time from ratification of contract to closing will depend upon how soon the seller can/wants to be out of their home, how soon you can get the inspection,appraisal and repairs done and how long it takes for your lender to process the loan. Assuming that the home is vacant or the owner can vacate quickly, a home can realistically close in about 2-3 weeks and sooner if the purchase is for cash. The costs to the buyer are generally restricted to those imposed by your lender such as the loan origination fee, appraisal, prorated taxes, a one year paid up home owners insurance policy and some minimal misc. fees.Occasionally, a community may have a transfer fee payable by the buyer which may be about 1/4%-1/2% of the contract price of the home which generally goes into the community capital improvement/contingency fund/account. Having worked with New York buyers before, I suspect that you will find the home buying process much easier and quicker than in NY.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM

20,086 posts, read 20,890,524 times
Ok, doesn't seem like any surprises here, basically the same stuff as in NY.

What's the story with the HOA fees? What do they pay for? I see they vary from development to development but I guess that has to do with the ammenities, like whether or not there is a pool, fitness rooms etc...
But in general what are these fees for? And how are they paid? do they send you a bill every month or something like that?

Thanks again, all of you guys have been great!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
The HOA docs will delineate what the fees cover, when they're paid, etc. It does differ greatly from neighborhood to neighborhood. There could also be HOA transfer fees upon purchase due at closing for some neighborhoods, i.e. a capital contribution fee. Most HOA fees cover the neighborhood amenities, others just cover maintenance of the commons areas, and might charge an additional member fee for the amenities, i.e. pool pass, clubhouse fees, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area