Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times

Advertisements

We have Yellow Carolina Jasmnie on the trellis in the back yard and it is wonderful. Just have to keep it cut back or it will take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:58 AM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times
Yellow (carolina) jessamine DOES smell wonderful OTC, just keep hacking it back and don't let it start twining in your trees.

It always amazes me to go to a nursery and find things I consider "weeds" for $4/gal. Who would actually buy a pine tree.. or wax myrtle?? MY OWN SISTER!

I spend all year ripping out pine, oak, maple saplings, chopping down and digging up jessamine, wild roses, wisteria, liriope (monkey grass) and ivy.

I should open a nursery maybe. Anyone want some wisteria??

No, I couldn't do that to you nice folks.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
Yellow (carolina)
I spend all year ripping out pine, oak, maple saplings, chopping down and digging up jessamine, wild roses, wisteria, liriope (monkey grass) and ivy.

I should open a nursery maybe. Anyone want some wisteria??
hmmmmmm - possibly onto something MJ, I'd take it one step further and list them on EBAY!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 AM

I love Wisteria, I will be looking for some here soon, when I get the new trellis put up.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 AM

638 posts, read 1,594,560 times
Wow.. Selling online! I wonder?! Altho, mid-March is getting a little late in the season to ship live plants... but maybe next fall. I never even thought about Ebaying them.

Tom Cat.. FYI We built a 10ft wide arbor-structure out of 4x4's and and 2x6's and cemented all 4 posts in the ground because our first smaller, less sturdy trellis got destroyed. Those vines are really strong. I dug up most of my purple altho it will be back by next fall. I still have lots of white if you're interested.. pm me.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM

I know the one I am building is with 6x6 PTL.....

Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 25,632 times
Growing up in Pennsylvania, honeysuckle was a fun summer plant that smelled pretty and then very dutifully died off when the cool weather hit.

Here, not so much. I have some honeysuckle taking over the hedges in my backyard in West Ashley. I rip it out, it comes back. I tear it out, it comes back. It's a weed that will invade everywhere it can, taking no prisoners only victims as it climbs inexorably across yards, shrubs, fences, trees... heck, I haven't seen the neighborhood stray cat in a while, he might just be trapped in there somewhere.

It is evil, evil, I say!

Think long and hard before you put this in. It's nearly a lifelong committment. Oh, and check with your neighbors, for these Weeds of Satan will happily spread into their yards and choke their shrubs, too. bwahahaha

Sorry for being so dramatic, but you hit a nerve. ;-)

Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
For the plant lovers....

Charleston Horticultural Society presents PLANTASIA:
A Green Market for Plant Lovers

The Charleston Horticultural Society is presenting its annual plant sale, PLANTASIA, on Saturday, April 28, 2007 at the Gaillard Auditorium, front lawn, Calhoun Street, in downtown Charleston, SC. The sale will take place from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Rain or Shine. Admission is free.

All proceeds from PLANTASIA benefit the educational programs and other projects of the Charleston Horticultural Society, a non-profit organization.

PLANTASIA will have for sale: tropicals, annuals, perennials, flowering shrubs and much more. All the plants presented will be ready to flower and flourish in one’s own garden. Horticulturally-trained volunteers will be available to help with plant selection as well as to answer questions. There will be a “Real Yard Sale” featuring previously loved garden items and a wide selection of “Member’s Favorites” plants grown and donated by CHS members.

Founded in 2000, The Charleston Horticultural Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring excellence in lowcountry horticulture. With membership open to all, the organization has grown to 1,100 individual and business members interested in learning about all aspects of horticulture through lectures, a newsletter, educational workshops, tours, and the annual Charleston Garden Festival at Middleton Place, a three day fall festival of lectures, vendors and displays. Charleston Trees, dedicated to ensuring the city’s green spaces are nurtured and expanded, and the Heritage Rose Fund, dedicated to educating the public on the historic contribution of Charleston as the source of the Noisette rose - the first class of rose to be developed in America, are both committees of the Charleston Horticultural Society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: