Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 9,658 times

Advertisements

Ihave 2 homes I'm interested in and need some help in deciding which would be better for me. One is very close to work but is 15,000 more expensive and less sq. ft, also the neighborhood isn't so wonderful, but the location is great and will hold it's value because of it. The 2nd home is about an hour commute to work, beautiful screened in porch overlooking a wonderful lake, very relaxing place, little bigger than the first home, but not by much. I hate the traffic and the travel otherwise it would be a no brainer.

So, do I travel for an hour to enjoy the view when I get home, or will the travel exhaust me and aggrivate me so much that I will kick myself for not getting something closer to work.

I've done all kinds of cost analysis and dollar for dollar they compete, so it comes down to close to town, smaller place, okay neighborhood, but I would like to see a few people fix their places up, OR do I commute 1 hour a day each way, sit in traffic for who knows how long, but beautiful scenery, quiet and well established neighborhood.

What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
I would look into a better way to work.

I had a simular dillema, I found a back way to get home, I go in early enough to avoid most of the worse traffic.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM

I do leave early enough to avoid traffic but on the way home there is not a way to avoid it. There really is only a few outlets so it's going to be a very difficult comute. BUT, the weekends will be very relaxing whereas the weekends at the place closer to work, will be lonely as there isn't a place to walk, hike, etc. The place further away, has a community pool, park and tennis courts. Traffic or convenience. Shoot, I just don't know which will fit my lifestyle better. I know I want the one with the view, but my practical self kicks in and I know how annoyed and impatient I get sitting in traffic and I keep wondering all that aggrevation will cause me to regret the decision.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
In general- Charleston traffic has only gotten worse, not better, since I have lived here. Typically you get a couple of years relief whenever a new bridge, connector or bypass opens then it returns to normal. Not that the new roads don't help, but they seem to shave off more aggravation than time.

Can I ask the location of the two houses? Both times I've bought locally I have ended up coming down on the side of location. Once inside 526 Mt Pleasant and the last time 2 lights from the bridge in West Ashley. One was a compromise on square footage, the other moving into an area that is on an upward swing with all the charm and drawbacks of a WW2 era houses and neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Small house - west ashley
home with view - summerville

I work on Johns Island

Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,347 times
Consider resale value even if you don't think you will move anytime soon. You never know what will come up down the road. Summerville is very desirable b/c of the school district, etc. You may end up making out much better in the long run by choosing the Summerville home. Just a thought...

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
There is a back way to John's Island....

Take 165 out to county line rd, Hwy 17n, then main rd onto James Island then river rd to Maybank Hwy....

I know this way very well I used to work On John's Island and I live in Summerville.

It takes a little longer than the direct route into town but it is well worth the relating drive.

The new developement on 165 may be a problem if they do not widen 165 the whole way into Summerville.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:50 PM

308 posts, read 1,041,949 times
My first thought is.... neither! From what I hear on this site, there is plenty out there to choose from. The one closer to work that you don't like the neighborhood... you'll hate coming home everyday! The home you like that is further from work... you'll dread the traffic everyday.
IMO, narrow down the areas that would be an acceptable... no, make that ideal # miles to work, and find a neighborhood/home in those areas that you fall in love with. Don't settle for something you're not sure about.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
I agree! I mean of all the Real estate out there you can't find a home your happy with both the commute and neighborhood.
This is a HUGE decision your making. Keep Looking. JMHO! Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1104 View Post
My first thought is.... neither! From what I hear on this site, there is plenty out there to choose from. The one closer to work that you don't like the neighborhood... you'll hate coming home everyday! The home you like that is further from work... you'll dread the traffic everyday.
IMO, narrow down the areas that would be an acceptable... no, make that ideal # miles to work, and find a neighborhood/home in those areas that you fall in love with. Don't settle for something you're not sure about.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM

I've been looking! Trust me, I'm no dummy when it comes to home purchasing. There are a few things that I differ from than most buyers. I am on a very TIGHT budget because I'm paying cash for the place and there is only so much money. I will NOT get sucked up into regime fees that continue to creep up every year along with a bunch of "special assessments." That locks me out of a lot of options. Johns and James Island are way too expensive when you compare price per sq. ft. Summerville, best buys but you have topay the traffic price. I know everyone thinks, as I did, that there is plenty out there on the market, but I beg the differ-maybe in certain price ranges, but in my price range, there are very few to choose from. I believe I've found the best that I can afford, now it's just a matter of which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area