Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

How would you describe the differences between Charleston and Savannah, GA?

To me...it seems like Savannah is more leafy mossy...a bit more grander larger homes, etc...whereas Charleston is more condensed colorful homes that come right up to the streets themselves, etc.

What are other things you might see as differences or even similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
savannah = crime.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:16 PM

638 posts, read 1,595,146 times
To me, Savannah is like a very small town version of d/t Charleston, a little similar, but with a much smaller downtown area. (not to nix it in any way.. I like Savannah.. mainly for it's smaller size)

Charleston has so many outlying "towns" that all run together into one big conglomeration making it appear a lot larger.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Savannah is like Charleston's little sister.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,896 times
Savannah has Paula Deen
Charleston has Natalie Dupree

Savannah has history and ghosts
Charleston has history and ghosts

Savannah has crime
Charleston has crime

Savannah is near the ocean
Charleston is near the ocean

They both have similarities as well as differences. It is all a matter of what you want out of life.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM

23 posts, read 85,907 times
I don't know much about Charleston but from what I learned living in Savannah, they are very similar in that they are both popular low country port cities. Both have a great art scene, great food, nice people, and have a desirable climate. Cost of living is affordable depending on your income and which part of town you chose to live in. As far as the cons I experienced living in Savannah, well my neighbor was held up at gun point at 4 pm three weeks after I moved there, I saw several cars being stolen out of the City Market parking garage on my way home from work, and most are still obsessed with the "Midnight in the Garden" thing. The whole city has a very strange but enticing vibe. I definitely loved it but I must say I'm glad to be gone. If you don't have a strong opinion of the Jim Williams story (either way, doesn't matter but you better know who he was!!) and dislike Paula Dean, I would say stay away. Far, far away!!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM

23 posts, read 85,907 times
Forgot to mention that you can drink on the streets there so if you don't like alcochol that may be a problem....especially during the St. Patrick's festivities! And Savannians love their ghost stories!!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
I've heard some say that Savannah comes across as more laid back and easygoing while Charleston comes across as more pretentious and snobbish. Take it for what it's worth, LOL.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM

726 posts, read 3,603,836 times
Charleston is old world Narrow streets
Savannah is broad tree-lined avenues and parks

Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
They are very similar, but Charleston is a larger city, w/a much larger historic district...Charleston has better restaraunts, but Savannah, has a better bar scene imo....the beaches are better around Charleston, and there are more tidal creeks and waterways around the Charleston area, as Savannah just has the Savannah River, compared to the Ashley, Cooper, Stono, Bohicket, Edisto, Stono, Wondo Rivers, and many creeks.
I think both cities are just as laid back, and both have a great artistic scene....Charleston's downtown has a more urban feel as the homes are closer together and come up right to the sidewalk...I do like the park squares around Savannah...they were designed into the city, and there are 23 of them...each neighborhood has one near it's center.
Charleston is much older, founded in 1670 compared to the 1740s I believe, and it has played a bigger part in American History, w/ both the Revolutionary War and The War of Northern Aggresion.
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was a movie that took place in Savannah, and it is pretty good...it was directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Kevin Spacy.
Savannah has a wonderful St Patrick's Day celebration...but Charleston has may more great festivals, including the upcoming Spoleto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area