Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,001,015 times

Advertisements

Yes! Will go whatever day has the better weather Plenty of pics for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,001,015 times
If anyone is planning on this for the month of August, here's a $5 off coupon per person

Use this code:

FBFan5offAll09

Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM

28 posts, read 90,703 times
Earlier this month they ran a TV promotion for "Buy One Get One Free" by Texting THRILLER to a number.

I wonder if they will offer that deal again in August?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,249,733 times
I was going to do this my last time down, and of course the night we went to do it, it stormed for several hrs after dinner...hopefully, I can do it this next time down.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,979 times
our trip with thriller was cancelled do to not enough people the first not, then rained out the second night. would not bother booking again. my husband and folks too my 7 year old son on the second night...and clouds were rolling in. captian said they were still going, they started to board the boat. my husband spoke up and said the sky did not look like they should go and they got off the boat. others then soon followed suit. captian still said they could go until all parties got off the boat. literally 10 minutes later the sky opened up and it poured and there was serious lightening thunder. like one of the worst storms we have seen since being here about a year. the captain had told them the weather was moving north and not to worry. ha! 10 minutes later it was on them and stuck around for at least a few hours. it seriously made me doubt their decision making. safety of travelers vs. making money. not a good experience. there were boarding children onto a boat 10 minutes before thunderstorm. had my husband not spoken up, they would have been out to morris island when the storm hit and my son would have been stuck on a boat in lightening. it really bothered me.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
our trip with thriller was cancelled do to not enough people the first not, then rained out the second night. would not bother booking again. my husband and folks too my 7 year old son on the second night...and clouds were rolling in. captian said they were still going, they started to board the boat. my husband spoke up and said the sky did not look like they should go and they got off the boat. others then soon followed suit. captian still said they could go until all parties got off the boat. literally 10 minutes later the sky opened up and it poured and there was serious lightening thunder. like one of the worst storms we have seen since being here about a year. the captain had told them the weather was moving north and not to worry. ha! 10 minutes later it was on them and stuck around for at least a few hours. it seriously made me doubt their decision making. safety of travelers vs. making money. not a good experience. there were boarding children onto a boat 10 minutes before thunderstorm. had my husband not spoken up, they would have been out to morris island when the storm hit and my son would have been stuck on a boat in lightening. it really bothered me.

I am sorry that you feel as though you had a bad experience. But, I honestly have to say to you that I do not believe that this happened as you have posted. I do believe you are being a bit dramatic.

We have ridden this vessel and felt more than safe. For you to make the accusation that they are more about money than safety is absolutely ridiculous. This isn't some carnival ride, this is a vessel that falls under the jurisdiction of Coast Guard rules and regulations. I don't for one minute believe that the boat would have taken off off from the dock if inclement weather were fast approaching. While you may have been allowed to board, you also had the choice to board or not to board. So you can't lay blame or make such accusations for a choice YOU made.

The Captain knows full well the responsibility he has to the owners but more importantly the passengers. And any observant person would full well see that he is all business at the helm.

The dramatic comment that your son would have been stuck on a boat in a storm is pure BS. Let's just say that had this boat pulled out and headed out on the tour and something did happen, you and your husband hold the responsibility to decide to go or not. You also mentioned within 10 minutes you would have been at the Light House well that isn't true either. You can't get to the Light House in 10 minutes from the dock.

I don't believe for one minute that the owners would have done/acted in such a way as you describe. And I am sure if it was as bad as you described here, Barbara would more than welcome a call from you to discuss your concerns. She is a really nice lady.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 PM

416 posts, read 1,633,979 times
well take it as you will. i am not saying the owners of the boat only care about money...only that based on my own experience i would not bother trying again, at least not with children. and my account is exactly what happened. my husband, who is usually the one who takes more risks with the kids, was very surprised at the captian. he has told them the storm was moving away from them, and they would still go out. they then decided to get off the boat on their own since the sky looked dark and it was starting to drizzle. then others followed. everyone ended up leaving the boat. and i did not say they would be 10 minutes arrivng at morris of course. we have been out from the harbor there many times and are aware the distance. i meant that if the sky darkened and it started raining 10 minutes later.... they would have been out on the boat when the storm rolled in. and had to travel back in the lightening. not sure what your problem is chromekitty. of course we know it is our responsiblity for our children, hence the fact we got off the boat. glad we did. and i have talked to barbra...she is a nice lady on the phone. and she was not present when this happened. she has been very nice about it, and i do not hold her responsible. and of course they refunded our money for the lost trip, no problems. just my personal account of what happened. i was very surprised that the captian was so willing to go out just before such a bad storm with kids and all. not looking for a debate of course. but we have been on many boat trips since living here with very good experiences.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
well take it as you will. i am not saying the owners of the boat only care about money...only that based on my own experience i would not bother trying again, at least not with children. and my account is exactly what happened. my husband, who is usually the one who takes more risks with the kids, was very surprised at the captian. he has told them the storm was moving away from them, and they would still go out. they then decided to get off the boat on their own since the sky looked dark and it was starting to drizzle. then others followed. everyone ended up leaving the boat. and i did not say they would be 10 minutes arrivng at morris of course. we have been out from the harbor there many times and are aware the distance. i meant that if the sky darkened and it started raining 10 minutes later.... they would have been out on the boat when the storm rolled in. and had to travel back in the lightening. not sure what your problem is chromekitty. of course we know it is our responsiblity for our children, hence the fact we got off the boat. glad we did. and i have talked to barbra...she is a nice lady on the phone. and she was not present when this happened. she has been very nice about it, and i do not hold her responsible. and of course they refunded our money for the lost trip, no problems. just my personal account of what happened. i was very surprised that the captian was so willing to go out just before such a bad storm with kids and all. not looking for a debate of course. but we have been on many boat trips since living here with very good experiences.

As I said previously, I am sorry that you feel as though you had a bad experience. Just because someone doesn't agree with you, does not mean
that they have a problem.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 AM

92 posts, read 264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I am sorry that you feel as though you had a bad experience. But, I honestly have to say to you that I do not believe that this happened as you have posted. I do believe you are being a bit dramatic.

We have ridden this vessel and felt more than safe. For you to make the accusation that they are more about money than safety is absolutely ridiculous. This isn't some carnival ride, this is a vessel that falls under the jurisdiction of Coast Guard rules and regulations. I don't for one minute believe that the boat would have taken off off from the dock if inclement weather were fast approaching. While you may have been allowed to board, you also had the choice to board or not to board. So you can't lay blame or make such accusations for a choice YOU made.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how you can blame the passengers. Passengers are not trained to be Captains. Some passengers may know nothing about boating or about how quickly weather can roll in the Charleston area. It is the responsibility of the Captain to make that decision. People do make misjudgments and mistakes. Was this the case here? I'm not sure because I wasn't there. I certainly wouldn't accuse anyone of their experience.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttata View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how you can blame the passengers. Passengers are not trained to be Captains. Some passengers may know nothing about boating or about how quickly weather can roll in the Charleston area. It is the responsibility of the Captain to make that decision. People do make misjudgments and mistakes. Was this the case here? I'm not sure because I wasn't there. I certainly wouldn't accuse anyone of their experience.

First of all, I have not accused anyone of anything here.

What has happened here is accusations are being made on something that simply did not happen. The boat never left the dock. No one was ever put
in harms way. What did happen is the boat was boarding for a tour, these particular passengers chose to board and then want to make these accusations about something that never happened. These claims are very dramatic.

Bottom line....

like someone posted just yesterday, you can't argue against the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area