Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 PM

459 posts, read 1,643,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Now That's solid BS, as I knew the best places to shrimp with a butterfly net on the creeks of James and Johns Islands before you knew how to get from Framingham to Boston.

"Uppity" (i.e., "pretentious") neighborhoods in Mt. Pleasant are an excellent source of racists/racism, as I know speak from direct experience when I say that.
Nice blanket response. I would think this is exactly the type of quote you would try very hard to discourage. I misjudged you.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,474,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Nice blanket response. I would think this is exactly the type of quote you would try very hard to discourage. I misjudged you.
You must have missed the memo which stated that stereotyping based on race is bad, but stereotyping based on social class is okay (especially if you're talking about "rich people").

Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
What specifics would you like?

On shrimping spots, or on racism in Upscale Mt Pleasant neighborhoods?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,344,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Now That's solid BS, as I knew the best places to shrimp with a butterfly net on the creeks of James and Johns Islands before you knew how to get from Framingham to Boston.

"Uppity" (i.e., "pretentious") neighborhoods in Mt. Pleasant are an excellent source of racists/racism, as I know speak from direct experience when I say that.
Ah, but do you know where they are now, NO.....

So keep you Uppity nose up north...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
I don't think you can use Jess Jackson as a model for all Black males -- any more than you can use Timothy McVeigh as a model for white males.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
There are pretentious neighbourhoods in every state, county, town. It is what it is -- you are measured by what you drive, what you wear, wear you work. That's the American Dream -- more, more stuff. Hence the high credit card debt, people buying homes they can't afford, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,770,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There are pretentious neighbourhoods in every state, county, town. It is what it is -- you are measured by what you drive, what you wear, wear you work. That's the American Dream -- more, more stuff. Hence the high credit card debt, people buying homes they can't afford, etc.
Couldn't agree with you more! So many people base their (and others') worth and value on how much and what kind of "stuff" they have.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't think you can use Jess Jackson as a model for all Black males -- any more than you can use Timothy McVeigh as a model for white males.
Now that comment's over the top, and either very ill informed or racist in itself.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:07 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,084,553 times
Yeah, Jesse Jackson isn't a terrorist. I don't even see how he is racist. My understanding is that he is very interested in causes that affect black people, but I don't think that is racist. I know some people might role their eyes when I say this (cue anti-liberal responses now), but when you are part of a group that has historically been oppressed, it is justifiable to advocate for your cause. Because white people have historically been at the top of the chain, and to a high degree still are, it is redundant to say that you are advocating for the white cause, or for the white race. It is like a man complaining that women are getting all of the executive jobs, or a straight person complaining that gay people are buying out all of the good wedding rings.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,344,326 times
Ok, lets talk about those who have been 'Historically Oppressed'. Jews, both those of the world and the ones in Isreal; the Irish, may I remind you of signs that said 'Irish Catholic need not apply'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area