Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 24,580 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to the Charleston area about a year ago and have yet to make any real friends. We are in our late twenties/early thirties. Naturally, our jobs would be a source but my husband is the boss of everyone he works with so he cannot fraternize with them and I work with with four other people in my office who are older, married, with children etc.

We used to live in Summerville (oh boy) and just recently moved to West Ashley to be closer to the action. We are both busy professionals but haven't found too many opportunities to socially network. Both of us being from South Fla, we have found the young people's scene a little disappointing. I know most people here are friendly but I find some a little bit insular in trying to make 'real' friends.

Any comments or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,269,745 times
This is something I copied from another thread:

Actually if there a something I've seen a lot of here in Charleston, it's Obama stickers on cars... Don't worry - there's a little bit of everything here... I thought I would stand out being that I don't have a single tattoo and that seems to be prevalent amoung many age groups here but generally people here are really, really, REALLY friendly! My husband and I moved here from South Florida where, contrary to what the media portrays, it's not a constant party "South Beach" life... People in South Florida are actually very cold and self-centered. It took me about 4 months to get used to total strangers actually SPEAKING to us (in a friendly manner, not flipping us off)...

We are LOVING every day living in Charleston!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:05 PM

44 posts, read 180,234 times
Want to know why you said oh boy when mentioning summerville. My wife and I are planning to move there next year. We visited there this summer and thought it was great. Maybe something we didn't see. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,734,724 times
Remember: no matter what the OP meant by "oh boy"...that is only one person's opinion. Most people that I know personally or from this forum enjoy living in Summerville. It may be that downtown Charleston has more night life for young people where Summerville is more family-oriented??? Don't know?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM

672 posts, read 2,105,806 times
I would see if there is a www.Meetup.com group with interests similar to you and your husbands that you could join in the Charleston area.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM

267 posts, read 1,016,127 times
Meet up is pretty good and I met some nice people there. But, the most social people tend to live in Charleston and not a bedroom community like Summerville , so be prepared to travel there to the events! I know this as I have been down this road.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 PM

8 posts, read 24,580 times
sorry no disrespect to Summerville. it is just what scbeaches said. summerville is more family-oriented and not as 'happening' for a faster crowd. it is beautiful and a good place to live for alot of people but is not "me" right now in my life.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,538,881 times
I would consider looking for groups that have activities you like. Some that come to mind are the Charitable Society (they do good work and have good parties), Boys and Girls Club (there are young professionals involved and on the board - social events as fundraisers), Chamber of Commerce (has happy hours for young professionals), Sports and Social Club (speaks for itself).

Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 PM

209 posts, read 531,883 times
I second Rggr's comments... you have to get involved. What have you and your hubby done to make yourself open to meeting other people? Have you taken any classes, joined any groups, volunteered for any charities, joined a church, etc.? Friends just don't find you... you have to find them! It doesn't matter what city you live in, the same applies. Find people with common interests and you'll find some friends. It DOES take time, though, so give it a chance.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM

23 posts, read 51,813 times
my fiance and I ( 26, 31) are moving down from NY September first, looking to meet some friends as well, we chose to live in Mt. Pleasant, because aside from downtown, I heard it was the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area