Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - we are moving to Mt. Pleasant in the next month so it is about time I cracked down and found us somewhere to live. What/Where is the easiest way to find a house rental? We are 2 hours away, don't know the area great, and just want to determine the easiest way to find what we need.

Schools - we have elementary school boys and I've heard all schools are good. Are there still favorites though? I'm happy to learn that I don't have to worry to much about this. The main reason we chose Mt. Pleasant!

OB's - will be over 30 weeks pregnant when we move and I'll need an OB ASAP. I'd love to get a recommendation instead of just going through the yellow pages.

Any other thoughts for a family moving this way?

Thanks so much for any help or advice you have!

Courtney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,702 times
Your rental options to some degree are going to depend upon what you would like to spend per month, the type of rental you would need, ie. single family or condo, the number of bedrooms and minimum square footage. With such information I am sure the Realtors on this forum could give you some recommendations and guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjncourt View Post
Hi everyone - we are moving to Mt. Pleasant in the next month so it is about time I cracked down and found us somewhere to live. What/Where is the easiest way to find a house rental? We are 2 hours away, don't know the area great, and just want to determine the easiest way to find what we need.

Schools - we have elementary school boys and I've heard all schools are good. Are there still favorites though? I'm happy to learn that I don't have to worry to much about this. The main reason we chose Mt. Pleasant!

OB's - will be over 30 weeks pregnant when we move and I'll need an OB ASAP. I'd love to get a recommendation instead of just going through the yellow pages.

Any other thoughts for a family moving this way?

Thanks so much for any help or advice you have!

Courtney

Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,197 times
Hi Welcome to the area. I have had two children( 3.5 and 1.5 now) since I moved here. I recommend the doctors at Mount Pleasant OBGYN. My doctor was Dr. Warner but she is not taking OB patients any more. I also loved Dr. Bradford. She delivered my son.
Mount Pleasant OBGYN

Using a Realtor is the best way to go to find rental and then if you can't find anything that way to rent there are property management companies as well as the local paper (http://www.Charleston.net - broken link). The schools are great in this area and most of the schools are new or newer. I love living in Park West (also Dunes West) because the schools and the Recreation are in the neighborhood. It's a great community.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
LPI

110 posts, read 366,738 times
Welcome to Mount Pleasant,

There are many great place to live in Mount Pleasant. Depending on your budget I would also suggest Dunes West and Park West but would also add Planter's Pointe. This is a great nieghborhood with a lot of young children and a decent pool, play park and cycle/walk ways.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Summerville and DD2 have the overall best Government Schools in the area.....

Pick a Realtor on here to find you a house, alot of them also do rentals, if you ask they will send you all the info you need and set up some looksees when you can get down here.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
According to Schooldigger - for the year 2007-2008 -- Summerville High School is ranked 58th in the state, Wando High School (in Mount Pleasant) is 12th. I measure a school system by the high school ranking because for me -- that's what counts. If you don't have a good high school -- doesn't matter how good your elementary or middle schools are. And you can't have a good high school without decent elementary or middle schools because the students feed into that high school

I would suspect that either school system would be more than adequate.

As for the private vs. public -- it depends on the school systems of both.

Private schools are traditionally much smaller and do not have the same resources to offer their students. Often the students at either end of the spectrum don't have the same opportunities in a private school.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:01 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Private schools are traditionally much smaller and do not have the same resources to offer their students. Often the students at either end of the spectrum don't have the same opportunities in a private school.
Having gone both routes myself, and seen the high schools in the Charleston areas... I will say I am not too fond of any of the schools in terms of the trailer classrooms they have due to overcrowding. However, in terms of opportunities.. not sure what you mean. I'm not one into sports, and supposedly if you want your child focused on that you are best off going to Summerville high - however, that is not how I judge a school. A lot of the reason that parents choose the private school route is because they are highly concerned with their kids' education - more involved parents usually means more focused students, meaning more focus on education than having to worry about disruption going on the classroom. At least, that is my own personal experience with private school. I also prefer smaller classes.

As for OBs - I also recommend Mt Pleasant OB/GYN - I see Dr. Bullen there even though I live in Summerville, and I believe she is accepting patients (I am currently 22 weeks along in my pregnancy). However, I will warn you - its apparently a popular practice, and the waiting lines are LONG. At my 20 week u/s I was there 10 minutes early, and didn't leave for another two and a half hours. However, I have no complaints about my doctor.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Opportunities in high school -- Advanced Placement courses.

As for trailers -- kids learn fine in trailers -- parents hate them -- kids don't care.

My son was in the gifted programs that were primarily houses in those awful trailers in elementary, middle and high school. He scored in the top 20% with his SAT scores, was an AP Honor Scholar, blah, blah.....he's on the dean's list at Georgia Tech in industrial engineering (Tech is ranked number one in the nation for this major)......If I ask him about trailers he would say "What?" -- No real issue

I went to a small private all girl school -- we had drinking, drugs and pregnancies at our school.

Private schools make parents feel better....they aren't necessarily better for the kids ;-))). Not saying they aren't -- just saying they aren't always the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area