Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,881 times

Advertisements

I understand that DII are the best schools in the area, but are Berkley schools really that atrocious? Compared to DII I understand that they might not be as good, but if I am an involved parent, would my child really have that bad of an education? I am wanting to move to Summerville, but most of the homes I have interest in due to pricing are in the Summerville/Ridgeville area, and I believe those are mostly all Berkley schools. Any honest info from an insider is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times
It depends on the school you are looking at. If you are looking at schools "in the country" I would think twice about sending your child there. I went to schools in Hanahan and have nieces and nephews that are there now. My daughter went to Stratford High. I don't believe any of us have received a bad education. Then you have a new elementary & high school around Cane Bay Plantation.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,369 times
The Summerville/Ridgeville area is Dorchester County.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Depends on what side of Hwy 78 you are on....

Some of it is Berkeley County...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM

That is what I came across. Most of the ones that are more my price range are Berkley schools. I hold education in high regards, but I am not one of these people who leaves it to the school to do everything. That's whay I am wondering about how bad the Berkley schools really are, because as long as they are not horrible, I think I can make up the difference. My main concerns are safety, and whether the schools have decent special ed. programs, funding for things other than sports, etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM

77 posts, read 202,340 times
actually some of the berkley schools are doing (much)better than DII right now...my wife is a teacher in DII and told me the other night...the DII higher ups are in a frenzy to get things back the way they were...i believe this is at the elementary level

Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks REXDP10 for the school info, and OTC for the geography info. That is good to know. I think some people want the schools to raise their children, so if it is not a first rate everything it is considered bad. I didn't go to the top schools of my area, but I turned out fine. I think it is all in how involved you are as a parent in your child's education. I just don't want my son going to school with high gang and drug use population, overwhelmed teachers, etc. REX, Can you tell me anything about special education classes, and extra-curricular activities in you wife's school?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 PM

370 posts, read 947,686 times
Look at the Cane Bay schools.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times
Special education in Berkeley Co..
Departments

Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 AM

131 posts, read 348,671 times
I totally agree with the thought process of the original poster- while school districts are important (you don't want your kid in the ghetto, or in some dangerous place of course) the parents play an integral role in the education of their children.

If you are an involved parent, and if you ensure your kids turn off the tv/pc and do some school work, read books etc etc, and more importantly if you do it yourself, you will have a bright kid.

The school system, and the teachers can only do so much, it is up to parents to make sure that their kids excel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area