Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 03:03 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Just looking for recommendations for a flat-fee real estate agent in the Charleston/Summerville area.

Anybody have any experience with one? I know several great full service agents but am only considering flat fee agents right now. I'm gathering as much info as possible and any feedback on local agents offering these services or on the process itself would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
If you ask me and you want a thorough job done , assuming you are looking for the BEST value property in your price range...... and aren't someone coming from NY or NJ who is delighted to pay less than what they are used to in NY and NJ but who doesn't care if it is still overpriced compared to what the market should be or is for someone who takes the time to study it, you should do the research yourself. Between Trulia.com, Zillow.com, Realtor.com and Charlestoncounty.org, you can get a much better grasp of what is going on in the market. Then considering you have done most of the work, keep in mind that commissions are NOT set in stone. Then choose the agent you like best. REMAX agents are like mini-brokers and are the easiest to negotiate with commission wise.

If you are selling, and willing to do a lot of work in order to save almost all of your listing agent commissions minus a few hundred, I would look into "MLS packages" "For Sale By Owner" on the internet. I used one of those and sold my house in New England in 4 months but I did a lot or "prep" work including staging etc--none of which seems to be included by any realtors down here.I left my house in immaculate showplace (HGTV) condition prior to each showing which I made sure I was absent during showings.

I have found that Charleston Realtors have somewhat of a belief that Charleston is immune to the economic downturn and are therefore less motivated to go "all out" for the client.

Last edited by emilybh; 01-24-2010 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,727 times
I totally disagree! unfair statement Emilybh - I myself, and I know many other Charleston Realtors, that go WAY ABOVE and beyond for their clients - I have cleaned homes, landscaped, babysat, etc etc. and most of my colleagues are dreadfully feeling the economic downturn here! whew - very bad thing for you to say, sorry - I take offense on behalf of those I know work 10x harder these days for far less than the "good old days" but have ALWAYS placed the client first and have ALWAYS gone ALL OUT for their clients! I take great pride in my job - and I know you did not attack me personally, nor know me, - but I just felt that to be such a terrible thing to say when so many Realtors are desperately hurting now - we DO feel the economic downturn.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I agree with Therese. There are some agents who just put the home on MLS and do nothing else. That is not enough in today's market. And this market you can't be lazy.

But there are good agents (like myself/my team, Therese and others) or go all out and do everything we can to sell a property. You need an agent that has the top spots on Google, does HD pictures/videos, Puts their listings on over 100 web site, holds special Open House's often and gets people in. We do so much more ...that's what makes us successful and have results to prove it. I don't want to post everything we do because that's what makes us different.

Your home has been on the market for a long time, so all the local buyers have seen it already. You need to have your Realtor market to the relocation market.

Flat fee is basically they charge a fee to put your home on MLS. If I remember correctly, your home has been on MLS so that's not going to work for you right now.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
There is a beautiful house in Summerville's historic district for sale, it is one block off of the rail road tracks on Richardson st and hickory, I think, it has been dropped nearly 70K since listing and is sitting empty and it still hasn't sold....

Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
LPI

110 posts, read 366,800 times
I would in general disagree with Emilybh. Although I am sure there are agents out there that meet Emilybh description, you don't have to look far to find a good one.

As For Quote" I have found that Charleston Realtors have somewhat of a belief that Charleston is immune to the economic downturn and are therefore less motivated to go "all out" for the client"

It is not immune but has faired better than a lot of places, mainly due to it's coastal position and mixed revenue.

As far the second part, the sale of a home is mostly based on price. The homeowner holds this card, no amount of marketing is going to sell a well over priced home.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
LPI-I totally agree PRICE IS KEY! But price is totally up to the seller. We just give advice and stats to help the Seller make a informed decision.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Too many choices for buyers --even with competitive pricing -- so much inventory. If you have 10,000 units in a market where the demand is for 5,000 -- even with a good price you can't sell 5,000 units.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times
If only real estate agents could collude together (as they attempt to do with commissions) and be up-front and honest with home/land sellers wanting more than fair value; they would all refuse to spend their time and money marketing over-priced listings. Then maybe this mess could get straightened out a little faster.

The few we've seen and liked that have lowered their prices to be realistic, sold before we could see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area