Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

Are there people living off grid here in the Low Country? Are HOAs anal about letting homeowners put in an artesian well or a rainwater collection tank and install solar panels on their roofs or would they allow it? Does Charleston allow it? Does anyone know?

What with the higher cost of food; higher utility costs (with SCE&G and Charleston Water trying to get rediculous rate increases) and the green movement, I would think there would be a big demand to be as off-grid as possible. I've been reading a lot lately about how the bailouts and quantitative easing added to the unemployment rates are bound to effect our standard of living Could You Survive Total Economic Collapse? as well as how economic collapses have affected other countries such as Argentina for example. If things ever get that bad here, nobody will want to have to be dependent on town water, electric and sewer.

In general, it can't hurt to be as self sufficient as possible and have changed my wish list for prospective homes to hopefully locate some that ideally have septic systems and well water where I could add solar panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Septic and well will require you to look outside of the modern sub divisions. My 30 yo house has city water and sewer. What you will need to look for is something outside of the city limits with acreage.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,707 times
And to answer the HOA part. most will have restrictions as to what can be attached to the exterior of the house and what can be placed in the yard. You will find wording addressing additions to the roof such as solar panels or placing a windmill in the yard. HOA's are designed to help owners retain property value, not be green. As Tom says, you will need to be out of the City to be off the Grid.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM

77 posts, read 202,340 times
The reason SCE&G rates are going up so much is that they are building a new Nuclear Unit...PLUS there is no such thing as de-regulation...i wish there was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area