Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM

486 posts, read 997,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Can someone tell me what kind of boating activities people do besides the intracoastal and ocean? Are there coves to anchor in and swim or fish or just have lunch? Can you catch your own shrimp and eat them? We like to go clamming and crabbing also. Shem Creek seems pretty cool. Is there anything in the water to be afraid of if you take a swim?

We like the Carolina Forest area of Myrtle Beach also but it seems like there's not alot to do if you get bored of the intracoastal and don't go out to the ocean much.

On a different note, we are interested in a house in Legend Oaks in Summerville. Any opinions?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Ok, lots a fishing holes around, Capt Rick will send you to Hadrell's for advice on that....

The big lakes here have lots of fishing as well....

Gators are a concern in the rivers and lakes, sharks in the ocean but neither one is a major concern.....

One gator attack just a little nip, earlier this year when a woman almost stepped on a gator sunning it's self at Magnolia Gardens and one a few years back where a guy lost his arm messing with one in Lake Moultrie......

I have seen small sharks in close on the beaches but haven't heard of any attacks recently, always seeing dolphins along the beach.....

As for Legend Oaks, my wife's principal lives over there and loves it.....

Last edited by OleTomCat; 05-19-2010 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: forgot about legend oaks

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM

87 posts, read 268,554 times
The creeks that surround Charleston are some of the best parts! Plenty of creeks around the Charleston Harbor, Mt. P, James Island, and behind the beaches. I go shrimping every season and fill a cooler up to eat...great sweet creek shrimp here in Charleston.

In the water, I'd be careful of oysters...they will tear your feet up (in a very bad way, sharp as knives).

A lot of people will just boat up the creeks and have lunch, a few drinks, fishing, etc. The inner creeks aren't affected by wind as much, so it's fun hanging out on glassy water.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM

87 posts, read 268,554 times
By the way, here are some stats on Legend Oaks Plantation within the last year (single family homes only). I hope the formatting isn't a wreck on this one:

Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 AM

486 posts, read 997,143 times
Thanks, are there gators in salt water? We never boated in any lakes yet. We probably would stay around the harbor area mostly in the beginning. I don't have any reason to go into the ocean. We live on Long Island in NY now and stay mostly on the Great South Bay.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Gators will go into brackish water but not pure salt water......

Our lakes offer large smooth bodies of water for water skiing and all other forms of water sports.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area