Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,246 times

Advertisements

Hello to all!!

My family is looking to relocate to the Charleston WV area this spring. We are looking for towns within 50 minutes of Charleston to move to. We prefer to live more in the country so that we can have some land. We are a family that enjoys peace, quiet and nature. We really dont care too much about the diversity of shopping, nightlife, etc. We have looked at areas like Hurricane, Scott Depot, Frazier's Bottom, Winfield, etc.

We love the beauty and open space that can be found all over WV. We enjoy a slower pace of living and we are bringing our children up to enjoy the same things.

My questions are these:

1.What are some of the best towns with nice schools to raise a family in?
We know all schools have their problems, and kids will be kids, not everybody is perfect. What we are looking for is a challenging school to prepare our children for college and the future.

2. Is it very difficult to for children to be accepted when they are outsiders?
Our children are outgoing, kind, compassionate, hard working and non judgemental. Infact, they have several friends who have autism and a cousin with downs syndrome, but they think nothing of it. They treat them all like everyone else. My concern is how others may treat them based on the fact that we are new to the area.

3. Are there any areas that we should avoid d/t high crime, etc?
We have researched the city data, but we would like opinions of people who actually live around the areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ) We look forward to our move and hope to meet many new, friendly people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times
The areas you mention are good areas. I am not sure how "country" you would feel in Scott Depot, Hurricane, or Winfield with all the growth that has happened that way. Also, the commute into and out of Charleston can be a bear at times during the rush hours.

You could also look at I-79 North of Charleston to the towns of Pinch, Elkview, and Clendenin (spelling ?).

North on I-77 you have Sissonville and Ripley is only 34-45 miles.

Any of these areas would be fine, in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Hi there,

First off welcome to the Charleston area, hope that you all come to love the area as much as I do because it is a good place to live.

1. Depends on what size you are looking for. Places like Pinch, Winfield, Hurricane, and Mink Shoals all are small suburbs, but still have everything you'd need close by or on hand. All of those areas have great schools, and are not are safe and affordable. Mink Shoals is only 5mins from downtown, Pinch is about 10, Winfiels and Hurricane are a bit further at around 30 mins. Out of these I'd pick Pinch because of the nice community, and location. Schools are generally good here, a few in under performing urban neighborhoods, but even those are getting better here.

2. There will be no problem! Kids will be kids sometimes, but overall most new kids are often treated very well just becasue of the fact that the local kids are very social. WV is one of the most socail states in the country, and around here is no exception.

3. Charleston is a city, and with urban areas there tends to be some rough ones. Overall our city is clean and safe with really nice neighborhoods and business areas, but a few I'd stay alert in are on the West Side, East End (north side), and some areas in Dunbar. Now for the most part these areas are fine, but some drug and gang activity has been noted before.

I hope this helps. charleston is a beautiful city, that has seen a good size upward swing recently. downtown is alive, and more and more people are coming in with new jobs. The shopping and dining is good, not a real party atmosphere, but more family like. We have alot to offer for a city our size.

Good Luck, any questions please ask!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,246 times
Thank you both for replying to my post so quickly! I appreciate your input!
I look forward to becoming neighbors with such amiable people as yourselves )

Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 AM

6 posts, read 10,176 times
1. Taeys Valley and Scott Depot are very well liked area but I hope you are prepared for very heavy traffic if you/your spouse are going to be working in Charleston. The morning commute is ridiculous ! I would tend to suggest Ripley, Poca or Pinch as suggestions. I 77 is not quiet as hectic.

2. We didn't have any trouble when we started our children in school. We join a great Mom's in Charleston and we made great friends there too.

3. The East and West sides tend to be rougher but those are right in town so If you are looking for more rural area.

Best Wishes !

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM

71 posts, read 176,411 times
You might take a look at the Davis creek area, both upper and lower. and on out Corridor G. some of that area is still very rural, and the Loudendale, lower Davis Creek area will put you into the JA-GW school district.
Finding something for sale is another matter.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston