Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

Yes Google Earth does help I've eliminated some rentals from Marmet and Cabin Creek that way.

So what's considered a good or bad part of town?? I know there is nothing anywhere near Charleston that are "bad" in the way Baltimore's inner city neighborhoods are but what is considered the worst parts of town? Are Cross Lanes, Hurricane and Teays Valley considered the ritzy, upscale suburbs? Just curious. And what is Dunbar's reputation like, is it more blue collar or yuppie?

And culturally is there a big cultural divide between the Charleston area and the rest of West Virginia? In a different thread I've been told something like a rebel flag will be out of place in Charleston proper though I've seen it elsewhere in the state quite a few times. Do people in Charleston proper look down on folks from the surrounding rural areas? I know that Charleston is the one truly big city in the state and probably dominates West Virginia in a big way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
considered the worst parts of town? -- West Side, except for Edgewood, but there are places on the West Side that you as a man could live in and probably not be risking your safety. East End, roughly bounded by Greenbriar St, Washington St East, Piedmont Rd, and Brooks St. but there might be select homes or apartments there that you could tolerate.

Are Cross Lanes, Hurricane and Teays Valley considered the ritzy, upscale suburbs?

Teays Valley, Elkview's new developments, South Hills of Charleston = ritziest, probably. (anyone else can feel free to chime in here)
Cross Lanes = young singles in apartment complexes, and family people who wanted to be out in the country. It was an unincorporated area with a volunteer fire dept. when I lived there. More average middle class than ritzy. Less costly and older homes, compared to Teays Valley. Most apartments, I would say, were built in the '70s.
Dunbar - Roxalana Hills is it's own community. Dunbar, the town, and St. Albans, leaning more toward blue collar.

big cultural divide between the Charleston area and the rest of West Virginia
-- If anything Charleston as a whole is urbane and cultured, or at least the professional people are. That's why there was a backlash to that Buckwild show being set in Sissonville, just outside of Charleston, b/c that's not representative of Charleston.

that rebel flag again, and Do people in Charleston proper look down on folks from the surrounding rural areas?
-- Why do you even care, and why do you keep asking this over and over? Sure, go there, act like a total hick fool, try real hard to rub everyone the wrong way, and see how many people will look down on you. You do know that UC gets a lot of students from out of state, NY, NJ, PA, etc., right?

probably dominates West Virginia in a big way - No as much as you might think. Morgantown and Fairmont have tech and have better access to Maryland and NoVA and federal government. Charleston is stuck in the comparative middle of nowhere. And Charleson has lost its powerhouse chemical industry. Those companies and their employees pumped a lot of money into the local economy, as well as brought in well-educated people.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Now I'm looking more to the east also......towns like Cabin Creek, Marmet and Glasgow look to be within commuting distance but I wonder about the traffic up from that direction in the mornings, also Google maps directions and driving time is based on taking I-77 but its my understanding there are tolls on that stretch of highway since its part of the WV Turnpike.

Doing some google street viewing too......the area around Southridge Center looks amazing and very comfortable. Probably out of my price range though for now. Southridge Center seems like a great area to go all my errands especially with the Walmart Supercenter and many major restaurants being there. In terms of personal taste my preferences are definitely split between rural/small town living and suburban cul de sac/ gated community living. Just not into the truly urban lifestyle. But it does reflect well on West Virginia that gated communities are not truly necessary the way they are in Baltimore.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 05-06-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Default toll free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Now I'm looking more to the east also......towns like Cabin Creek, Marmet and Glasgow look to be within commuting distance but I wonder about the traffic up from that direction in the mornings, also Google maps directions and driving time is based on taking I-77 but its my understanding there are tolls on that stretch of highway since its part of the WV Turnpike.

Doing some google street viewing too......the area around Southridge Center looks amazing and very comfortable. Probably out of my price range though for now. In terms of personal taste my preferences are definitely split between rural/small town living and suburban cul de sac/ gated community living. Just not into the truly urban lifestyle. But it does reflect well on West Virginia that gated communities are not truly necessary the way they are in Baltimore.
The first (and only one within commuting distance) toll booth is around the Cabin Creek area and it is avoidable so don't let that stop you.

You really need to visit and "explore".

Yes, the Southridge Center area will be high for a student. It is very difficult to find rentals in the South Hills and Southridge areas at low rent so, for the most part, it would be a waste of time.

You could add Cedar Grove to your searches if you are also considering Glasgow.

There are some decent rental units in the Pinch area off I-79 North that are also a possibility if you like a more rural setting.

Another possibility that I don't know if you will consider is purchasing a mobile home if you can find a spot to park it. You could re-sell it at the end of your time in the area. Several "dealers" in the area. If you sold it for less than you paid, you would at least be getting some of your expenditures returned to you. Just a thought.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM

198 posts, read 413,489 times
Just my 2 cents here but Glasgow, Cedar Grove and Cabin Creek are not areas I would personally consider. Marmet is not too far down MacCorkle from UC. I still think you are better off finding something in South Charleston, South Hills, Kanawha City or the Dunbar apts. you mentioned before. Also, Country Club Village was another one you mentioned that would be fine as well as Greenbrier Garden apts. which is on Corridor G and not far from SouthRidge.

Like someone else has said, you have gotten lots of replies to your questions. Now you really need to come and visit and look around. And, pick up an Ad Bulletin while you are in town.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heaven WV girl View Post
Just my 2 cents here but Glasgow, Cedar Grove and Cabin Creek are not areas I would personally consider. Marmet is not too far down MacCorkle from UC. I still think you are better off finding something in South Charleston, South Hills, Kanawha City or the Dunbar apts. you mentioned before. Also, Country Club Village was another one you mentioned that would be fine as well as Greenbrier Garden apts. which is on Corridor G and not far from SouthRidge.

Like someone else has said, you have gotten lots of replies to your questions. Now you really need to come and visit and look around. And, pick up an Ad Bulletin while you are in town.
Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions! I looked into all those areas and am most likely settling on Sissonville due to personal connections there and the affordability. I did the drive to the campus and it was only 15 minutes and while I wish there was an additional Walmart closer its not TOO bad going to Cross Lanes on the back roads (like Big Tyler and Goff Mountain which were very pleasant drives btw). Got to experience the Top Spot Country Cookin diner on Sissonville Drive which actually catered to President Bush twice when he visited the area they have some great food in a very laid back atmosphere.

I did indeed check out the Ad Bulletin and checked out some places on it. There was a very cheap house for rent in Belle but I was concerned by its proximity to the chemical factory and the fact that there was no central AC or heating. The owner said they can bring an Amish type stove for the winter But he was nice and actually was the police chief. Belle wasn't a bad town IMHO just the house itself (which was also all brown wood in the floor and wood) and the closeness of the DuPont facility, especially after the terrible events in Texas recently. But there is something there for $395 a month if anyone reading this is interested. In terms of South Charleston I didn't really agree with the pricing or the quality of the places that happened to be available at the time. I was offered a VERY good deal in Sissonville. I also looked at a trailer property through Ad Bulletin off Edens Fork but the road but it was deep in a holler and the road was very poorly maintained (and certainly will not be plowed in the winter) and I nearly drove into a creek with the sharp turns and it would be tricky at night but it was a decent structure by itself.

I found the geography of the Kanawha valley very interesting as the developments spread out very far to the west and a little to the south, but no so much to the north or east. Everyone I've talked to about it confirms the traffic problems coming from the west though I didn't experience it myself. I was told to avoid to East End and West End by everyone I know from the area and many of the people I met. Certain stretches of MacCorkle Ave did seem kinda seedy through Kanawha City between the campus and the freeway interchange but still better than Baltimore its not as if I feared for my physical safety.

In terms of the culture....I did find somewhat of a divide between Cross Lanes on one hand (where my hotel for the second night was) and Belle/Sissonville on the other. Its cool how Sissonville and Belle are suburbs within commuting distance yet have their own small town feel, while Cross Lanes did feel like an anywhere kind of suburb. Everyone I met was very open and friendly though this lady at the hotel bar in Cross Lanes (which gets a lot of locals due to their video poker machines) did seem to look down on Sissonville and many people are concerned about the industrial areas. I did think Charleston is a more Southern city culturally especially when compared to Fairmont and Morgantown.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,428 times
@ SorryIMovedBack......I may be to much of a hick to understand this. Can you explain more what you mean exactly? I go into charleston for lunch sometimes but am pretty much a country gal.

"Sure, go there, act like a total hick fool, try real hard to rub everyone the wrong way, and see how many people will look down on you. You do know that UC gets a lot of students from out of state, NY, NJ, PA, etc., right? "

Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 10,765 times
Try Greenbrier Apartments (near south hills). I know several students from UC that live there and they like it.
Roxalana hills apartments are really nice too.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Charleston is not expensive. Should look into buying a house, or renting a house.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magatha123 View Post
@ SorryIMovedBack......I may be to much of a hick to understand this. Can you explain more what you mean exactly? I go into charleston for lunch sometimes but am pretty much a country gal.

"Sure, go there, act like a total hick fool, try real hard to rub everyone the wrong way, and see how many people will look down on you. You do know that UC gets a lot of students from out of state, NY, NJ, PA, etc., right? "
(whooping with laughter)
Oh, you have to go back are read all of his earlier posts to see the pattern. Several times he said that he hangs a Confederate flag in his window, and he asked if people in Charleston do that. He was asking if that would upset people at apartments like Roxalana Hills or The Oaks. (Roxalana being one of the most if not THE most cosmopolitan and upscale young-professionals destination in the area, I really can't see the Roxalana management going along with a Confederate flag in the window. Can you?) But he kept bringing up that flag-in-the-window thing, even though I said it's not in good taste and not a good idea and is not generally done in the upscale areas that he was looking at. He said something not entirely complimentary about Northerners, which didn't offend me, but I told him that much of the student body at UC is Yankee. He decided to rent someplace in Sissonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston