Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times

Advertisements

Girl Scouts ready to set up camp* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

my hat is off for the girl scouts, who turned this depressed property/eyesore into a beautiful facility. The West Side has still got a ways to go, but the community is doing very well considering where it came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM

New Girl Scout building opens, covers girls' needs* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Looks very nice

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
I wouldn't call it a "depressed property" or "eyesore." It was a once-elegant elegant and very solidly constructed 1920s car showroom with a red tile roof. I bought a couple of cars there, and I was last in there in summer 2005 and it certainly wasn't a ramshackle or blighted building . LOL Get rid of the coach lamps and put a 1920s display window back on the front instead of that inappropriate aluminum stuff, and it would have been elegant again and would have preserved some of the West Side's history and character.

The "Urban Camp" building to the east, with the red brick front on it now, was never a body shop in my time there. It was an auto parts place a couple of times, I believe. It has horses on the front because it was once the Charleston store of Riverbend tack shop of Milton. It was a fun place to browse on my lunch hour.

The body shop was across the street from that "Urban Camp" building, on the north side of Va St W. Charleston Lincoln Mercury had a car lot to the to the west on Va St W, and also had one directly across the street from the dealership building.

It's nice that the Girl Scouts made use of those buildings. But it's more West Side history lost. I grabbed some screen shots with Google Earth. They show vacant dealership after the 2011 sale.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 01-29-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Here are pics from 1954, for posterity:
Showroom building that was demolished
Valley Motor Sales Ford, Charleston WV, 1954 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
parts department building tat is Urban Camp now
Valley Motor Sales Ford Parts Dept, Charleston WV, 1954 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Here are pics from 1954, for posterity:
Showroom building that was demolished
Valley Motor Sales Ford, Charleston WV, 1954 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
parts department building tat is Urban Camp now
Valley Motor Sales Ford Parts Dept, Charleston WV, 1954 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Those do look very nice! I just remember the building in recent years lacking the eloquence that it once had. That whole part of town is ripe for some urban renewal. I would like to see the effort continue along with the already going effort along Washington Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston