Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times

Advertisements

Charleston Daily Mail - George Hohmann - Charleston business group counters Forbes' 'dying cities' tag*

A good, positive read on Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 01:08 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Indeed it is a nice read on Charleston but unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that people are moving out of not just the city but the entire region.

I've said it before, I love Charleston. I was born and rasied there, have a picture of the state capitol in my bedroom, enjoy visiting friends and family, have wonderful memories of the place, etc. That being said, many local leaders (and residents) seem to be under the impression that economically things are just rosy when in reality they are a complete disaster. Just because leaders from some random town in Kentucky are visiting town to talk about "growth" doesn't mean it is happening.

Charleston Area Alliance members might want to stop wasting time trying to disprove accurate facts from a nationally recognized publication and start figuring out what it's going to take to get things moving in the valley.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 08-20-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Something nice and positive is said and the first thing is someone jumping on here with gloom and doom. Wonder why the state has such a bad rep?

Just like the local officials stated - people will remember and take note of the bad and forget or ignore the positive.

Last edited by vec101; 08-20-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM

First of all I think some people need to understand that this is an opinion based forum not a let's put what we all feel looks best to outside viewers forum. I know Charleston just as well (if not better) than any of you and I am entitled to share my views. I'm just giving an honest opinion based on what I see and my family/friends who still live in Charleston tell me.

Like I said, the article was a nice read, but what was really positive about it? The fact that people were so mad that someone basically told them the truth so they tried to camoflauge real problems going on in the region by saying that Forbes was flawed in their judging? The fact that people were implying that things are so bad that you really can't go any lower and all there is to go is up?

I'm sorry you can look at Charleston's population figures and not come to the conclusion that something is wrong. People vote with their feet all the time and they've been running out of Charleston long before this survey was created.

Don't look at me in your search as to why WV has a bad rep. Look at the self-serving politicians who are perfectly OK with mediocrity and think that it's acceptable for a discount big box retail store to be your largest employer. Maybe people will start taking them seriously when they begin to address the "gloom and doom" and stop trying to shrug off every negative publication as coming from evil outsiders with some vendetta against the state.

I am proud of my WV heritage, but I get so annoyed when I see how the state is taken for a ride by it's greedy politicians and the remaining people are left to suffer. The sad thing is, many just keep a nonchalant attitude about the economic situation and keep waiting/hoping something will change.

Maybe I'm too hard on Charleston and WV in general...I just think they deserve more and perhaps I don't always have the best ways of saying that.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 08-20-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
. .tried to camoflauge real problems going on in the region by saying that Forbes was flawed in their judging?
It's was an opinion by Forbes, they're entitled to one, but it is flawed to some degree. Where I can't argue about the problems West Virginia has, and has had, it may not be accurate to assess Charleston as dismal.

Only 4 cities in the United States had real estate prices go up 2nd Quarter 2008, and Charleston was one of them. Dear Forbes, go **** yourself. I think a lot of the United States is still looking at a 20% decrease in real estate prices as they correct from the bubble. You might say that I voted with my feet when I moved here. 1.5% increase in real estate is not sexy, but I'll take it.

The article isn't factoring in the economic impossibility of baby boomers staying in the higher cost of living areas, i.e., the northeast. Part of the real estate boom in Phoenix was caused by evacuees from Californa because of its cost of living. Though Charleston might not get the wave like Morgantown predictably will, it will get some overflow. What's in it's favor though, is Charleston has a relatively mild winter 40F to 45F and mild summers 80F to 90F.

Random search . . baby boomer statistics :

* Boomers have $35,000 in median total household personal retirement savings.
* Boomers who save in a 401(k) have an average 401(k) account balance of $80,000.

So rough math, that's $100,000 in savings. Not in favor of them surviving higher cost of living areas. Gives them about 5 years to figure out what to do before they're broke and homeless.

* 57% of Boomers expect to receive a pension (either own or spouses).

* 22% of Boomers will rely on the sale of their primary home for income in retirement. Yahtzee!

* 69% of Boomers will rely on working at least part-time for income in retirement.
-- 68% will do so to cover basic expenses.
-- 52% will do so to receive employer health benefits.
-- 23% will do so because they want to stay busy.

Point being, Charleston will have some future growth. It doesn't substantiate long-term economic health, but the influx of people will provide some recovery in the near future.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by r601020; 08-20-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 124,941 times
The reason there is no problem in the housing industry in Charleston is because Charleston has lost population and not gained population. The cities that have the housing situation are cities that grew with young people moving in over night and it jack up there housing prices with the growth. If Charleston is so wonderful then why is it that college graduates are starting of at 10-14 hr s when they can start off double that in cities with comparable cost of living. When I lived in Charleston I was barely paying rent , had a run down car and now I moved to Louisville I have a new car and I am getting ready to buy a home on the east end which is a good part of town. I worked my a** off in charleston , I have a military back ground and a college degree and could only make 10 a hour . Don't even through out the RN card because I know they get good paying jobs easily in charleston , but they start off 10,000 more a year in Louisville.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Well Hollister and Abercrombie are currently in a dire need in Charleston for about 4-5 assistant managers. You have to have a bachelors to become an assistant manager and you start out around 35,000 a year. Not going to get rich, but you can always move up! I just don't think people look around. I've said this again and again. I'm a young person, (21) so don't throw that card. A lot of the younger generation that leaves expects because they went to college, a great high paying job with benefits will fall into their lap. Well that may have worked when our parents were going through school but this is 2008 and a college degree is the equivalent of a high school diploma in the 70's and 80's. It takes work, and you have to put in some time to get anywhere in life.

Here is just another one of my thoughts. When people from other states make assumptions about WV and further contribute to the negativity that plagues WV, it is either from pure ignorance or someone they've met that has left WV wailing and moaning about how hard it was to get by here, or how much less they made here, or about the isolation, etc. I think this problem is specific to just West Virginia. Millions of people move in the United States each year, but I wonder how much they moan around and sob about how pathetic their old state was compared to some of these people that leave WV.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 AM

Good Good Good ! that the mall is hiring some manager and paying them that salary. To say I am moaning and groaning giving WV a bad name , hey I have to take up for good ole WV all the time. I will give a example , I was talking to this guy and I mentioned I was from WV and he made the comment "I never knew I could met a person from WV that was friendly " the reason was he was harassed in Morgantown during the U of L and WVU game , also the CFO where I work is a U of L alumni and said the same thing happened to him. Hey herd on also answer this why is there no major companies call WV home. Go and visit a town like Charlotte , Atlanta, nashville And even towns that aren't greatest metro areas like here in Louisville and venture away from the downtowns and go where the people actually live. You will find much more modern cars, stores , restaurants , and recreation opportunities. When I moved I felt like I traveled in time 10-15 years ahead it's amazing what is out there beyond those mountains. When we came home to visit my wife made the comment that she felt we had crossed the border into a third world country. I have a co-worker that is African American and he said when ever he travels home to D.C. he makes sure that his family had used the rest room before crossing over the border because he refuses to stop in WV. I had to let him even though people fly the rebel flag like they are from Mississippi , they really are harmless and good people in WV. Guys I moved to Louisville not LA, NY , Atlanta , D.C. or Charlotte, sorry to break the news even little old Louisville is 10 years ahead of WV in development and opportunity.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:56 AM

I'm sorry , herd on you have struck a nerve I have to comment again. For you to say that I did not look around or put my time in, you got me going. I applied everywhere in Charleston from Verizon , McJunkin , to walker and all the employers in between for years. NOTHING. When I decided to look beyond WV within two months I had interviews in Philly, Charlotte, Richmond, va , Chattanoogia, Roanoke, Va , Western Pa, D.C. , Augusta , GA , and Louisville where I choose to move. I worked for 3 years wasted time making 10 a hour after college because I wanted to stay , I Love WV it's where my family is , and my culture . I could not do it anymore , granted I never did claim to have been a brain , I am just a average joe who wants that white picket fence house, I never claimed I deserve to be rich or deserved any job be given to me just because I have a degree , but I do fell I deserved better then what I had In WV. I don't make 6 figures now , and do think I should , but I finally make enough to be a home owner and not live in a run down apartment building having to get help from my family just make ends meet. Maybe Charleston is getting better I don't know , it can not get any worse . Good Luck herd on , maybe you will be able to stay find good employment in WV , I am just going on the experiences of myself and my friends in College.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well Hollister and Abercrombie are currently in a dire need in Charleston for about 4-5 assistant managers. You have to have a bachelors to become an assistant manager and you start out around 35,000 a year. Not going to get rich, but you can always move up! I just don't think people look around. I've said this again and again. I'm a young person, (21) so don't throw that card. A lot of the younger generation that leaves expects because they went to college, a great high paying job with benefits will fall into their lap. Well that may have worked when our parents were going through school but this is 2008 and a college degree is the equivalent of a high school diploma in the 70's and 80's. It takes work, and you have to put in some time to get anywhere in life.

Here is just another one of my thoughts. When people from other states make assumptions about WV and further contribute to the negativity that plagues WV, it is either from pure ignorance or someone they've met that has left WV wailing and moaning about how hard it was to get by here, or how much less they made here, or about the isolation, etc. I think this problem is specific to just West Virginia. Millions of people move in the United States each year, but I wonder how much they moan around and sob about how pathetic their old state was compared to some of these people that leave WV.
GHO, I wish you the best of luck in your job search and if you want to remain in WV then that is absolutely great and I'm sure you will do well/ be happy.

Just keep in mind however that people expect to have a job right out of college because in certain metro areas that is the norm. That is why people seek them out and move there. I am a Finance major and had several job possibilities here in DC before I even graduated along with one in Charlotte. Many of my friends were in similiar situations. I did expect a job to fall in my lap. Why? Because I worked my A** off in college (as I'm sure you do) and at the very least I deserve a good paying quality job.

Whether I could've eventually found one in WV, who knows, but I didn't feel like waiting around for a year or two for that to happen, nor did my parents encourage such behavior. Plus I guess the allure of the big city got to me.

That being said, people in WV also tend to act like their state is the only one that gets trashed. Very few people up here are from the DC area, in fact a lot aren't even from the US, so I hear plenty of talk about "former homes" so to speak. I meet people all the time from economically weak areas such as Cleveland, Detroit, Western PA, the Midwest, New England, etc. who for the most part are proud to be from their former homes but they don't necessarily glow about the very forces there that resulted in relocation. Many use far harsher terms then I would ever even consider, in fact I usually tell people how beautiful my home state is, but I'm not going to lie to them and say the economy is wonderful. There are A TON of former WVians up here that would say the same thing.

So no, people don't moan just about WV, other states get bad reps as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston