Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM

145 posts, read 291,744 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Charleston sometime soon. I have read a lot of the posts about it and done some research on the internet.
I have a few questions though and would appreciate some help.
1) Are there better areas of town that others? I have heard of a few.
2) Is it more preferable to live in Charleston or live outside in a suburb?
3) Schools - best elementary and middle school?
4) Crime - any real problems? C-D doesn't make the crime rate look appealing for Charleston. Can anyone expand on the crime info?
5) Are there any houses for rent anywhere in Charleston? Can't find any online!!! Or in surrounding areas.

I currently live in Memphis, TN so crime is a big issue. I have heard the crime in Charleston does not compare to crime in Atlanta and other places, but I am very "gun shy" - pardon the pun. I don't want to have to worry as much as I do here - we actually live in a nice suburb of Memphis, but the crime is spreading to the 'burbs. I would appreciate any help out there. It is hard when you move to a new place and to a different part of the country....we are orignally from Okla. do WV is totally new to us!!!
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,908 times
I grew up in Charleston and come back to visit often so I think I can be of assistance.

Crime in Charleston is a non-issue, especially if you are coming from a larger area like Memphis. Sure there will be pockets of "iffy" areas but it is nothing to fret about. I have never felt unsafe in Charleston.

In my honest opinion, I think it is better to live right in Charleston than one of the outyling areas. The city has around 50,000 residents so it's more like a large town with a decent amount of more urban amenities. The mall is located directly downtown. All of the best dining options are right in the city along with cultural venues.

As far as the schools go, you will also find some of the best schools in Kanawha County right in Charleston. The South Hills neighborhood of the city has excellent elementary schools that feed into highly regarded middle school (John Adams) and high school (George Washington). South Hills prices are going to be more expensive than other parts of the city or immediate are.

Another nice in-town neighborhood is Kanawha City, but the schools there feed into a somewhat mediocre Capital High School. The middle school in that part of town is Horace Mann, but I'm not even sure what that school is like these days.

I would make sure I had a job lined up before moving to Charleston, they can be a little difficult to come by. Of course with the economy right now I guess it would be wise to do that with most places.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,694 times
1) Are there better areas of town that others? I have heard of a few.
Yes. There are pockets of areas in Charleston itself that are "better areas" with homes ranging from modest to high priced. Also, Chas flows into Kanawha City and South Charleston - you won't realize you are leaving one city and entering another. Not sure but I think that Kanawha City is the same city govt as Chas - not sure why it is even still called Kanawha City. South Chas has it's own govt.

2) Is it more preferable to live in Charleston or live outside in a suburb?
Just depends on what you like and where you find a house you like. You will get a different answer depending on who you ask and where they have chosen to live. If you work in Chas, the drive into town from one of the most popular suburbs, Teays Valley, can be a challenge at times but thousands of people are doing it everyday so they don't find it that horrible.

3) Schools - best elementary and middle school?
The schools in Teays Valley, South Hills, Cross Lanes, and Horace Mann in Kanawha City have good reputations. May be others that I don't recall at this moment.

4) Crime - any real problems? C-D doesn't make the crime rate look appealing for Charleston. Can anyone expand on the crime info?
You will find petty crime anywhere on the planet but I've found the greater Chas area to be safe (I grew up in NE Ohio - if something wasn't locked up or you didn't keep your eye on your purse at all times-- it was stolen). While there is no perfect safeguard against crime, use common sense and I think you will find the area to be very safe. Run with a rough crowd, wander around questionable areas late at night, use bad judgement, etc. and you highly raise your chances for negative encounters. Do bad things happen to innocent people who seem to be using good judgement -- yes unfortunately, but I've not seen these to be common occurrances.

5) Are there any houses for rent anywhere in Charleston? Can't find any online!!! Or in surrounding areas.
Look at the WV Real Estate Gallery at WVRealEstateGallery.com - Your Local Real Estate Connection (I think it's usually updated on Thursdays) or check out the local papers - Charleston Gazette and the Daily Mail.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM

246 posts, read 880,920 times
"Are there better areas of town that others? I have heard of a few."

This is code speak for "where are the minority sections of town?"

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,908 times
Kanawha City is definitely part of Charleston, not sure if it was annexed in the 30s and 40s when they started building there or if the land was always in city limits.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post

Why are there always people like you who make nothing into something?
I live in Memphis....I do not have a problem with minorities...I currently am one in a city 65% African American.
I do have a problem with crime and drug infested areas of towns/cities. This is why I asked. There are plenty of White Americans who contribute to the delinquency of the many towns and cities too!!
I am simply wanting to know about the nicer areas with the best schools!!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 AM

Thank you so much to all of you (except you know who)!! I appreciate the wonderful advice!! This makes things so much easier. Should be finding out soon if we will be making the move!!!
I think West Virginia seems to be a "neighborhood" kind of state. When you have a capital with only 50,000 people - that is very front porch, hometown. I really like that idea.
If anyone has any other advice or has anything else neat to tell me about the city of Charleston...I really welcome it!! Thank you , Thank you!!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,706 times
I've lived almost 60 years in Charleston and South Charleston and the city has changed during that time. It used to be friendly neighborhoods where people looked after the neighbors kids and sat on their front porches after dinner. But now, the East End from Washington St to Piedmont Road is a cesspool of drugs, driveby shootings, robbery, kidnappings, knifeings, etc. From Washington St to the Boulevard has stately old homes that for the most part have been turned into apartments. It's sad to see that happen. I grew up on the East End, it's not a good place to grow up in now.

The West Side has also turned seedy on the flat part. The hill section still has some really nice, old single family homes that have been well kept.

Kanawha City from the hospital to 50th street is a nice section of town, with many well kept houses.

North Charleston is still troubled by gangs and problems.

South Charleston on the hill is still very nice single family houses with good neighborhoods except for the Vandalia section.

South Hills is expensive for the most part and has some beautiful old homes. New developments and condos are springing up there.

Fort Hill is a beautiful but pricey part of the Charleston Hill Section.

The downtown area of Charleston looks a bit tired, rundown and dirty, except for the new ballpark and any new buildings that have gone up in the last 5 years.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I've lived almost 60 years in Charleston and South Charleston and the city has changed during that time. It used to be friendly neighborhoods where people looked after the neighbors kids and sat on their front porches after dinner. But now, the East End from Washington St to Piedmont Road is a cesspool of drugs, driveby shootings, robbery, kidnappings, knifeings, etc. From Washington St to the Boulevard has stately old homes that for the most part have been turned into apartments. It's sad to see that happen. I grew up on the East End, it's not a good place to grow up in now.

The West Side has also turned seedy on the flat part. The hill section still has some really nice, old single family homes that have been well kept.

Kanawha City from the hospital to 50th street is a nice section of town, with many well kept houses.

North Charleston is still troubled by gangs and problems.

South Charleston on the hill is still very nice single family houses with good neighborhoods except for the Vandalia section.

South Hills is expensive for the most part and has some beautiful old homes. New developments and condos are springing up there.

Fort Hill is a beautiful but pricey part of the Charleston Hill Section.

The downtown area of Charleston looks a bit tired, rundown and dirty, except for the new ballpark and any new buildings that have gone up in the last 5 years.

Thank you. I would like real answers about Charleston since I know nothing about it. I know it is sometimes hard for people to say negative things about their hometown, but it is helpful to those people who may be moving in. I am orignally from OK and I have gone on the OK forum and warned people of certain areas and told them the best places to live. I now live in Memphis and I have been on that forum and warned people away from anyplace but one particular suburb....things are that bad around here!!! I would hate for someone to move blindly and end up in the worst possible situation.
Thank you for being honest and telling me about the imperfect areas too. I know there is more good to Charleston than bad, but all cities have their troubled areas. It is good to know where I should avoid.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post

I did not take it to mean that. I took it to mean areas with less crime or better kept homes or better schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston