Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 PM

11 posts, read 24,464 times

Advertisements

We are going to North Carolina in a few weeks and will be driving through Charleston, West Virginia. We will be getting a room for the night and will probably get into Charleston around 4:00 pm. I was just wondering what we could do for a few hours while there. Any input would be great!

Thanks!
BoxadoreMom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 PM

537 posts, read 958,437 times
If you don't get any replies -- and you're not getting one here, I've never been to Charleston -- I'd suggest TripAdvisor.com. Whenever I'm going to some town I've never been to before, I go to TA, find the city I'm interested in, click on Things To Do, and (unless it's a real small town) I get back lots of great reviews. I've done this countless times and gotten back many great suggestions, almost never have I been led wrong. They usually have good advice on restaurants too.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
Get a room at the Marriott...it's in the middle of everything in C-town.

One the way out the next morning...stop for an early lunch at Tam-a-rac...
See the very best of artisan Wv in one small location.

Lunch will be prepared by a chef sent on assignment from the Greenbrier...try the trout.

This will be a trip you will want to make again and again...trust me.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,401,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Get a room at the Marriott...it's in the middle of everything in C-town.

One the way out the next morning...stop for an early lunch at Tam-a-rac...
See the very best of artisan Wv in one small location.

Lunch will be prepared by a chef sent on assignment from the Greenbrier...try the trout.

This will be a trip you will want to make again and again...trust me.
Think David covered it.
If the Marriott is too expensive the Embassy is next door.
The Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express is right down the street also.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
Default There are things to do in Charleston WV

Tamarak is actually in Beckley, WV on the way south on the Turnpike. It is a great place. As for Charleston, we have a minor league baseball team and stadium within walking distance of downtown, a cool market plus yummy Italian restaurant (Soho's) called "Capitol Market" - again a short drive or walk down Capitol Street towards the Interstate, and the Clay Center, which is a modern art gallery/ IMAX/planetarium/showplace, also a short walk east from downtown. Google these places for more info. Enjoy!!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Think David covered it.
If the Marriott is too expensive the Embassy is next door.
The Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express is right down the street also.
WOW nice to see you Georgia! Just think nobody said anything bad to make you visit, lol.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Of the hotels mentioned, the Holiday Inn Express will probably be the cheapest. The ballpark is a great experience. Down the street from the ballpark are the Fairfield Inn and Charleston Plaza Inn (Best Western). Two and a half blocks and you will be at the park and both of these should be cheaper than the others.

If you have time, you should visit the WV Cultural Center across from the capitol. There is a great display of the history of WV. The second best part is that it is FREE. Check out www.wvculture.org for more info.

The Clay Center is right across the street from the Fairfield Inn and the Best Western. They have a nice kids' discovery area but there is a fee.

I like what deb said about the market area as well. Good luck!

I hope you enjoy Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
The Embassy has a great breakfast...all are good.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
if your looking for something downtown kinda cheap---- Holiday Inn express, Hampton Inn, Best Western, Super 8

I'd go to the Clay Center and catch an IMAX Film---They are generally really good
there is also a musium, and an art gallery there

The Mall is great---opened until 9 though----it is right in downtown, you can't miss it

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,006 times
This: New River Gorge Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston