Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 738 times

Advertisements

IT is not about doing things differentyl in other culture...it is all abt exaggerating..
1.People in India honor the dead..but it is not every "weekend" it is once every year.Can you believe anyone can afford calling 300 ppl at home every weekend?? I DONT!!
2.It is true indian ppl cook a lot and dont eat out a lot(and save loads of money)
3.Prayers are done with musical instruments..
And it is HUMAN to forget keys isn't it?? You shld have gotten all the facts right before moving in and staying with ppl from "a different culture" ! and yes the comment is racist ! witha ll due to respect to you ma'm it does hurt feelings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:33 PM

83 posts, read 445,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concordmom07 View Post
IT is not about doing things differentyl in other culture...it is all abt exaggerating..
1.People in India honor the dead..but it is not every "weekend" it is once every year.Can you believe anyone can afford calling 300 ppl at home every weekend?? I DONT!!
2.It is true indian ppl cook a lot and dont eat out a lot(and save loads of money)
3.Prayers are done with musical instruments..
And it is HUMAN to forget keys isn't it?? You shld have gotten all the facts right before moving in and staying with ppl from "a different culture" ! and yes the comment is racist ! witha ll due to respect to you ma'm it does hurt feelings
To address your #1 comment, her post states that:

"Every year she had a big weekend party to honor her husband who passed away a few years before and about 300 people would descend on the house. She even had to go to the county to get a permit to do this party. Well that was way to many people and to much noise for me so I always left and stayed somewhere else for that particular weekend. The owner told me to make sure I move my stuff out of the kitchen and into the garage so nobody would accidently take my stuff (because they didn't know if was mine but may think it belonged to her)."

She says the party was only once a year, not every weekend. She did not exaggerate.

2.) I don't think she has an issue with her Indian roommates cooking but, based on what I read, it was the fact that she had difficultly cooking during normal dinner hours since her other roommates were usually cooking during that time period.

3.) Just because prayers are usually done with musical instruments, doesn't mean that they didn't sing as well. She only mentioned that they were singing...perhaps they did both. I think it's rude that you're basically calling her a liar when you didn't live with them, she did. No one but Mkforu on this forum knows what really went on.

Honestly, it sounds like her roommates weren't very considerate of her. I think that's where the problem lies. They had so many guests over all the time....that would get so old to me. At that point, it's almost like you constantly have temporary roommates.

So how should Mkforu approach her perspective roommates before she moved in? I guess she could have asked them if they have lots of people over, do they watch tv late at night, does they have worship service at their house (which is a question most people wouldn't think to ask, honestly). I think it’s just as much the family’s fault for not letting her know some of these things ahead of time. Being considerate of your roommates crosses all cultures and I really think that was the issue here.

Although it’s just once a year, having to get a permit to have a party is pretty extreme, no matter what the occasion. To expect a roommate to be OK with the noise and (I’m assuming) guests using your bathroom constantly for an entire weekend is asking a lot of anyone. Yes, it’s her house, but when someone’s paying you rent, you should be considerate of your roommate as well.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte