Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times

Advertisements

I grew up when Thunder Road was THE big coaster. Now I ride them all (LOVE the Intimidator!!!), but my daughter is just starting to get the bug for coasters. Last year, she would only ride the tiny kiddy coaster, and at the end of the year, she got onto the Flying Ace (I think it was called Raptor last year?). She also rode Gold Rush, but thought it was lame.

This year, she's up to Woodstock express, and wants to do a bigger coaster.

I don't want to scare the [beejeepers] out of her, so I'm wondering which would be less scary, Thunder Road, or Hurler? My guess is that once she does one, she'll be on the other in a New York Second!!!

Any thoughts? I've ridden TR a million times, have not ridden Hurler.

(And I can't wait to move her up to Afterburn, Intimidator and the like...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Just last week my girls rode their first 'big coaster'!
I am so proud, and yet sad at the same time (they are growing up too fast).

Last year they were timid and the Carolina Goldrusher or the Fairly Odd Coaster (now renamed Woodstock Coaster) was their limit.

Last Thursday we all rode The Hurler for their first big ride, but it is VERY bumpy and throws your head around with reckless abandon.
Thunder Road is certainly smoother and my 8 year old said it was not as 'scary' as The Hurler.

We road TR and TH several times in a row late Thursday.
Sunday night I got them on the Carolina Cyclone and Southern Star.
Good times, probably will go later this afternoon.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
I haven't been to Carowinds in years but I remember the Gold Rush as being very jerky and violent. Sounds like The Hurler is similiar.

Hard to beat Thunder Road as an old school simple coaster, that's still big and fast enough to be fun.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
I agree with the above, Thunder Road is a much smoother ride.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM

461 posts, read 985,616 times
I'll sum it up like this: I'm a coaster fanatic, and Hurler scares ME! I would actually try the Carolina Cobra. It's short and you go forwards AND backwards. Of the woodies, TR is the better choice.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Thanks so much. TR it is.

She was "eyeballing" the upside down coasters, but is having second thoughts. It's only a matter of time though. I'm thinking the first one will be Cobra, short, sweet, and to the point. After that, we've got plenty of things to conquer, until she's ready for Intimidator.

I rode that for the first time in the front seat. I screamed like a schoolgirl (I'm a 42 year old man!!!), and then got on and did it again. AWESOME!

Thanks again to everyone. Thunder Road, here we come...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I grew up when Thunder Road was THE big coaster. Now I ride them all (LOVE the Intimidator!!!), but my daughter is just starting to get the bug for coasters. Last year, she would only ride the tiny kiddy coaster, and at the end of the year, she got onto the Flying Ace (I think it was called Raptor last year?). She also rode Gold Rush, but thought it was lame.

This year, she's up to Woodstock express, and wants to do a bigger coaster.

I don't want to scare the [beejeepers] out of her, so I'm wondering which would be less scary, Thunder Road, or Hurler? My guess is that once she does one, she'll be on the other in a New York Second!!!

Any thoughts? I've ridden TR a million times, have not ridden Hurler.

(And I can't wait to move her up to Afterburn, Intimidator and the like...)

Awww...what great memories you dredged up for me

My son cut his teeth on Thunder Road almost 20 years ago, lol. It was his first big coaster and he could not get enough of it. He and his dad would ride it over and over and over again - while I watched of course, chicken that I am

Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Thunder road was my son's first big coaster (he was 6 at the time) and he did not like it at all. It was just too bumpy. His second big coaster was Cyclone and he loved it! He is 7 now and stands at only 50 inches tall. Rides like Afterburn, Vortex, Nighthawk, and Intimidator requires 54 inches.

As of now, his favorite coasters are Cyclone, Cobra, and a small inverted coaster (that I can not remember the name of). Here is a picture link to that small inverted coaster.

Carowinds on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfmorton/256350397/ - broken link)

^^^This is not a "big coaster" but it is a great start for the kids!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Carowinds: The Early Years (1972-1982)

Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
^^^Thx for posting, lumbollo, lots of great memories seeing those old photos.

I really miss the Oaken Bucket (formerly Whirling Well), it was removed in '87 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte