Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,410,660 times

Advertisements

I have attached some pictures of a weed (at least I think it is a weed) that has taken over my back yard. This weed attracts bees and it has now spread to the other side of my yard. As you can see the amount of it is pretty overwhelming. It has almost taken off overnight. I tried searching but there are just too many types of weeds out there. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? Thanks to all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Know What this Weed Is?-dscf2375.jpg   Anyone Know What this Weed Is?-dscf2376.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM

28 posts, read 69,487 times
Looks like kudzu to me.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,045,691 times
the second one is kudzu, I think. Also think that it is close to impossible to get rid of.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,269 times
I don't know what they are, but I don't think either of them is kudzu. You can try to call the Agriculture Extension Agent and see if they can help. Number will be under the County listings in the Blue Pages of the directory. Another option would be to show some to someone at a nursery.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
The first one looks like poison ivy to me. In places where it gets plenty of sunlight, it'll grow like a bush or small tree and people usually call it poison oak, which is only native to California.

The second one looks like English Ivy or Virginia Creeper. It's harmless.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,269 times
I'm allergic to Poison Ivy and know very well what it looks like! Neither picture is poison ivy. I have Virginia Creeper around my yard. Neither picture is Virginia Creeper either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The first one looks like poison ivy to me. In places where it gets plenty of sunlight, it'll grow like a bush or small tree and people usually call it poison oak, which is only native to California.

The second one looks like English Ivy or Virginia Creeper. It's harmless.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
It is vitis rotundifolia, also known as muscadine or scuppernong. They produce edible fruit (grapes) and are a native species... and a vine of course. Search for the source and yank it. It probably originates from one small stem out of the ground.

As an aside...

My grandfather, who raised his family in tank town at the still-standing house on the corner of Rozzelle's Ferry and Valleydale used to cultivate muscadine and scuppernong and make wine out of it. He had a couple trellises about 40 feet long and those vines would be heavy with grapes every year. He made wine out of the stuff, but he told me he liked anything that brought the bees around (he cultivated a few acres on that corner). They had a personal garden that must have been the better part of an acre and my-oh-my the produce was fine. Buzzing bees around flowering vitis reminds me of my grandfather to this day.

Last edited by Native_Son; 07-20-2009 at 09:07 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am going to check this out. The idea of taking it to a nursery was helpful. I just wanted to make sure it was nothing poisonous before handling it. I'll be sure to wear gloves just in case.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am going to check this out. The idea of taking it to a nursery was helpful. I just wanted to make sure it was nothing poisonous before handling it. I'll be sure to wear gloves just in case.

no need for the nursery dude. It's muscadine. It's not poisonous in any fashion.

I promise.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It is vitis rotundifolia, also known as muscadine or scuppernong. They produce edible fruit (grapes) and are a native species... and a vine of course. Search for the source and yank it. It probably originates from one small stem out of the ground.

As an aside...

My grandfather, who raised his family in tank town at the still-standing house on the corner of Rozzelle's Ferry and Valleydale used to cultivate muscadine and scuppernong and make wine out of it. He had a couple trellises about 40 feet long and those vines would be heavy with grapes every year. He made wine out of the stuff, but he told me he liked anything that brought the bees around (he cultivated a few acres on that corner). They had a personal garden that must have been the better part of an acre and my-oh-my the produce was fine. Buzzing bees around flowering vitis reminds me of my grandfather to this day.
Thanks. This is exactly what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte