Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times

Advertisements

Thanks vmax! Baybrook, mine from Lane Bryant typically last a year before they get stretched and the wires start to break. I wash them in the washer in a bra bag. I've tried all of the brands you mention, plus a few more and they all had something that was uncomfortable for me: pokey wires, not enough side coverage, thin straps, not enough support, etc. Plus I have a serious problem with bras cutting the girls in half and I spill out of the top. I was told by a fitting person that I needed to go up a size, but when I did it was huge everywhere else...ahhh...such a fun conversation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
Lane Bryant may not have the size you need depending on your band size, they deal with larger sizes. LB would be the "walmart" of expensive bras (IMO) - but I really do like their T-Shirt bras.

What you need to do is go online and look up reviews for quality bras, get a couple good brand names, and then find out who carries the brand. Then, try them on to see if they work for you. For example, Vanity Fair does not work for me, but some Bali do.

Last edited by dragon_fly_12; 07-15-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Lane Bryant may not have the size you need depending on your band size, they deal with larger sizes. LB would be the "walmart" of expensive bras (IMO).

What you need to do is go online and look up reviews for quality bras, get a couple good brand names, and then find out who carries the brand. Then, try them on to see if they work for you. For example, Vanity Fair does not work for me, but some Bali do.
Their bras start at a 36, so unless you are a stick with a huge chest, you should be able to find your size. Even when I was a size 4 in high school, I still wore a 36 bra. Why do you consider them the same as Walmart? I've bought bras from Walmart, and that's completely laughable.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Their bras start at a 36, so unless you are a stick with a huge chest, you should be able to find your size. Even when I was a size 4 in high school, I still wore a 36 bra. Why do you consider them the same as Walmart? I've bought bras from Walmart, and that's completely laughable.
Coastal.

if they work for you, that is great, but in general, I would not consider them high quality.

Why?
Construction, fabric and other materials, cut, etc... They tend to be "copies" of other vendors. I spent several years working in intimates from the sales floor, to the buying office and then as a vendor.

Also, bras have a life span of 3-6 months. The elastic no longer supports you the same way after that time period. Think about it. This is a garment you are wearing close to your body, several times a week. Perspiration and oils from our skin break down the fibers. Now add regular washing... Bras just don't last that long. They may "feel" the same to you, but I would guarantee that you don't "look" the same in your clothing.

If wires are popping, the bra is not the right fit/size for you. Wires shoudl never break through.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,240 times
I buy my bras at the Hanes, Bali, Leggs Outlet at Concord Mills. They even have a "frequent buyer" club. I just bought 3 this weekend. They had buy 3, get 20% off. I like Bali underwire bras. Good support and they are well made.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
I hate bras that give you uniboob. They make you feel like you're choking on your own boobs, there's nothing minimizing about them. Minimizers?? Why bother? Nothing wrong with having big girls! I hate the bras that give you side & back boobs too. GEESH!!! What's a girl to do for good boobage fit???

Being of the larger chested variety myself, it's true, you get what you pay for & I've found the pricer the bra, the better the fit. THANKS for all the good info on where to find well-fitting bras!!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the tips, Baybrook, but I totally disagree. The wires aren't poking through, they break in the cup. It's happened after several months with almost every single bra I've owned, not limited to brand or price.

fwiw, every piece of clothing you can buy is a copy of another.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Thanks for the tips, Baybrook, but I totally disagree. The wires aren't poking through, they break in the cup. It's happened after several months with almost every single bra I've owned, not limited to brand or price.

fwiw, every piece of clothing you can buy is a copy of another.
No problem. You can only go by your own experiences. I'm just passing along based on my experiences in that segment of the industry on from the consumer and the manuf sides. Adn I still contend that if your wires are breaking, poking through, gouging, etc.. somethiing is wrong with the bra or the fit. good Luck

Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
neiman marcus or dillards. LOVE Chantelle! Le Mystere is a another great brand. They also know how to fit you. IC London is an option as well...80% of women wear the wrong bra size!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
fwiw most women who are a size 4 would not be a size 36 or even a size 34...but american manufacturers tell you to add in 5 inches to your rib cage..that is because as you go up in band size cup size gets bigger..so you don't need a 40DDD...you really need a 36F and it will fit better. The band should hold the weight and not ride up and sit lower on your back than most women think. I am on the healthier side and I am about a size 14 but wear a 34. Check out a better fitting place..VS is not good at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: