Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
For the record, Watkins Glen is a road course, not an oval or even a circle. Maybe your friend didn't notice that the cars were turning left and right.

If all a person sees is cars going round and round, then they're missing all the details that make racing fun. There's so much more to it. Consider driving your car 400 miles, at the absolute limit of it's and your abilities in 130 degrees, and then add in 42 other people doing the same thing. But racing isn't for everyone. And I do understand that practice laps, and many of the race laps, aren't exactly enthralling.

I don't understand TV baseball. 1000's of hours of spitting, crotch grabbing, and constant clothing adjustments, all for a few select moments of action per game. Most of the players don't even break a sweat.

TV golf? TV soccer? Could anything be more boring than watching 98% walking or running to get to the 2% of action per game? Maybe watching a marathon from beginning to end would actually be less interesting, but I'm not sure.

But hey, lots of people watch those sports. They're just not for me.
I think we were separated at birth! LOL

My dad watches soccer and I take naps when he watches. And with baseball, you could go run a marathon in between pitches. Or at the very least go grocery shopping for goodies for a fabulous sandwich!

And racing on tv is NOTHING like being there! Feeling the roaring engines go by you and the smell of rubber. I'm pretty sure no one's seat rumbles when Tiger Woods hits a ball. Meeting drivers. NASCAR is VERY accessible and you don't need to be in the media or a Make a Wish child to meet most of the drivers. What other sport can you spend $30 for a pit pass (or something similar) and get autographs from over 20 drivers and numerous crew members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I'm not denying this goes own. However it's not the issue in regards to the city spending public money to build a museum to this or any professional sport.
But I'm wasn't talking about the political aspect of how the NHOF was built, nor how it was paid for! I was basically talking about people's attitudes towards Nascar, espeically those elitist types who feel the need to belittle those who like the sport b/c they don't understand it, nor do they want to understand it, b/c Nascar and their fans are beneath them! Also, I was responding to the poster before me!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
But I'm wasn't talking about the political aspect of how the NHOF was built, nor how it was paid for! I was basically talking about people's attitudes towards Nascar, espeically those elitist types who feel the need to belittle those who like the sport b/c they don't understand it, nor do they want to understand it, b/c Nascar and their fans are beneath them! Also, I was responding to the poster before me!
It's very interesting seeing the mix of people at races. People still think it's all hobos living in trailers with no teeth drinking beer all day. So far from the truth! Races are expensive!

I've met some really great people at races. Someone I met in a line went and got me 2 autographs and some pictures. I did the same for her. Friendly people for the most part! Maybe we should keep the truth about the world of racing a secret?

Some people will never get it....like my mother. She likes to tell me I'm a redneck every time she hears anything racing come out of my mouth.. Boy would she be surprised! My uncle a finance VP goes to Daytona!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Most here are talking two seperate things.....understanding and appreciating Nascar has nothing to do w/how the HOF is being paid for.......

Talking about the rules of Nascar should be on a different thread.

The question is the thing is (and will continue to be) a money drain/pit.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
The post above is correct

there is plenty of Bash Nascar threads
exist and discussing anything else besides the original topic
well um see the terms of service

Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
This story is so the reverse of shocking that my coffee spit me out...

Enough with the uptown crowd and their pet projects.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
This excuse that it isn't the city's fault their projections were wacked because the economy went bad, doesn't hold much water with me. The city always, just as it is doing now with the DNC, says this kind of tax expenditure is warranted because of the growth and economic benefit it will bring to the city.

So with that in mind, the city and it's boosters, The Chamber, the tax financed CCCP, etc, will say when the economy is good, "Look at our genius. Because we spent these tax dollars Charlotte is flourshing". But now when the economy is bad these people hide under a rock and send out sycophants who will claim. "Oh but the economy is bad, so it isn't our fault".

The moral of the story is the economy isn't influenced by this type of wasteful spending. The city got caught with it's pants down but despite that, amazingly still tries to pull this trick to continue to spend money on projects this city does not need. The streetcar is one and the other is the DNC convention. if they can't get it right about the HOF, then it is very reasonable to assume they can't get it right about these other boondoggles as well.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What other sport can you spend $30 for a pit pass (or something similar) and get autographs from over 20 drivers and numerous crew members?
I spent $10 on tickets to the Quail hallow practice rounds and got all the golfer's autographs. When living in St. Louis we would wait outside after Football game and got a lot of autographs that way, and also could get almost every player by going to practices (which are free). I've also gotten autographs from Cardinal's players while watching batting practices before the games with my $10 bleacher seats. They also had numerous free signings of past and present Cardinals before games.

Being able to get an Athlete's autograph is not unique to Nascar, or any other sport.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Please do not ignore post 25 or heck the terms of service in regards to any threads

Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 AM

343 posts, read 686,280 times
Default Charlotte stuck in the "Normal Box"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Being able to get an Athlete's autograph is not unique to Nascar, or any other sport.

Not that I don't love Charlotte, BUT. This is a big problem with Charlotte in everything Charlotte does, THEY ARE STUCK IN "THE BIG NORMAL BOX".

Charlotte is not innovative when it comes to creating new attractions for tourism. We have the one and only NASCAR HOF but Charlotte does nothing exciting and new with this new claimed fame.

This is the same city that believes creating a new Wal-mart Shopping Center will create tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte