Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
IMO, it's all a scam to get people ready to endure another property tax increase for the school system.

It's a tried and true way of government administrators to get more money. First set up a scenario where doom and disaster is coming. Oh, but if you give us X number of million dollars, the problem goes away.

I have an answer. Lets get rid of 50% of the non teaching jobs in CMS and put a salary cap on the rest. No more $100K+/year office jobs in CMS.

Lumbollo - You are absolutely right! That is exactly what is going on! CMS is hoping to get parents so upset about possible school closures that we will be begging for higher taxes!!!!

I absolutely agree about getting rid of most of the non teaching jobs and there should NOT be $100,000+ office jobs in CMS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Got a hold at someone at my school today (Ballantyne Elementary). She mentioned the reason the school was on the list was b/c due to predicted growth the school will go from 92% capacity (today) to >100% by next year. The land around the school itself is currently not zoned commercial so there is no room to add trailers.

I don't know what they plan to do with Community House as I believe they already have trailers and they are at 95% capacity now. There was talk of building another middle school, but with the economy and budget issues I don't know how that is possible.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I absolutely agree about getting rid of most of the non teaching jobs and there should NOT be $100,000+ office jobs in CMS!
A person with 20 years experience and a PhD. should make what exactly, given that a PhD can cost you $50K+ to earn? One can argue the point that a PhD. isn't necessary but that's a whole different discussion, but the market is demanding it.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Goodness! My home school is on that list (billingsville), and frankly I hope they DO close it. The alternative couldn't be any worse.

fingers crossed!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
A person with 20 years experience and a PhD. should make what exactly, given that a PhD can cost you $50K+ to earn? One can argue the point that a PhD. isn't necessary but that's a whole different discussion, but the market is demanding it.
This is a false argument because one first has to establish that $100K PHDs are necessary for the running of the school system. I would contend they are not. We are talking about public school, not building space shuttles. The cost of acquiring a PHD is irrelevant.

This entire "best and brightest" argument for high paid government workers doesn't hold water with me. It's an excuse. I say if they don't like the salary cuts, then let them go find a job in the private sector. See how many sign up for that.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2nc View Post
I live next door to Elon Park Elem school and basically, we have 5 Elem schools in the area (Elon, Ballantyne, Hawk Ridge, Polo Ridge and Endhaven).

Yet only 1 middle school and 1 high school.

Did these fools never look to the big picture and figure that these Elem School kids actually grow up and need to go on to MS and HS.

My daughter attended CHMS when there was a 5th, 6th and 7th grade only so she was the first of the 8th grade classes over there. I know this school has grown and grown.

The same problem is now happening over at AK where class sizes are anything from 30 - 50+

Why build so many Elem Schools and only 1 MS and HS.
No wonder, our current MS and HS are bursting.
As another posted in reply to this, it is not unusual to have several elem. schools and then far fewer middle and high schools in that same feeder area. The MACS (Meck. Area Catholic Schools) system does this. There remains only one, yes one, high school in Charlotte....Charlotte Catholic. Kids feed from elem. school from Huntersville (St. Mark) to Rock Hill (St. Ann) and everywehre in between (St. Gabe, St. Matt, etc.) all to that one high school. However, MACS too is facing a challenge with this and now hoping to open another high school north of the city...IF people buy into it.
It is not only CMS going through challenges...but the challenges CMS faces are much more far reaching and difficult to address than those of other school 'systems'.
Taben

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
This is a false argument because one first has to establish that $100K PHDs are necessary for the running of the school system. I would contend they are not. We are talking about public school, not building space shuttles. The cost of acquiring a PHD is irrelevant.
While you may be correct, based on what I've read of late, the market is requiring a PhD at the higher levels. Perhaps it is because a Master's appears to be worth what a Bachelor's used to be, making the PhD level the next level in competition with other applicants.

Quote:
This entire "best and brightest" argument for high paid government workers doesn't hold water with me. It's an excuse. I say if they don't like the salary cuts, then let them go find a job in the private sector. See how many sign up for that.
To refer to teachers are "government workers" is a bit disingenuous. Yes, they are technically government workers but that would equate educating children with running the DMV or filling out forms at the social security office. I hope you see education as not on that level of "just government workers."

The best and brightest DO go into the private sector because of the prevailing attitudes that they don't deserve good pay for their abilities as teachers, and that's to the detriment of our kids. I don't wish for our next generation of leaders and citizens to be short-changed because they only "deserve" those who seemingly can't cut it in the private sector.

Your implication that many teachers probably couldn't make it in the private sector, on the surface, is a bit insulting but if it is indeed true then it proves the point that we aren't getting the best and brightest.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
To refer to teachers are "government workers" is a bit disingenuous. ....
Luv, Please read my posts again. I clearly said non-teaching positions.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Luv, Please read my posts again. I clearly said non-teaching positions.
Do you mean administration specifically then? If so, again, the percentage of administrators in the budget is in the single digits in CMS, the last I read. While it's a populist approach it won't solve the budget woes.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Do you mean administration specifically then? If so, again, the percentage of administrators in the budget is in the single digits in CMS, the last I read. While it's a populist approach it won't solve the budget woes.
This can't be that hard and this is a surprising response since you already wrote a long paragraph in response to what I originally posted. If you didn't understand it then, then this explains why your points, such as what it cost to get a PHD, were irrelevant. ''

I stand by what I posted. If you don't believe in it that is fine, I don't expect everyone will. So far you are the only neigh as opposed to several yeas. I will go with that. This has gone far too off topic so this is my last response to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte