Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 PM

45 posts, read 123,391 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I know this is probably a moot question, but are there ANY architecture firms actually hiring people in the Charlotte area right now? Everywhere I have been, I was told the company either went out of business, or they weren't hiring. Some even said they were laying people off at the moment!

I, like most people in the country, have had a really hard time trying to find a full time job in this field. I was just wondering if anybody happened to know who might be possibly hiring, or what I should try to do next? I have my B.Arch degree just waiting to be put to use!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I would look out of this region. I would check in some areas that seem to be less saturated with layoffs, such as Dallas, TX or maybe - Nashville, TN.

Engineers and architects have been laid off here in great numbers . . . I have a cousin and a neighbor who are both out of work right now . . . one is an electrical engineer, the other is a construction specifier/project manager . . . both their firms have closed offices here. Both are looking outside of Charlotte now.

If you want to stay on the east coast, I would think about the DC metro and firms that deal with government contracting - I would guess these companies may still have work . . .

Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times
One year later and things have not changed. In fact, they have gotten worse. I typically don't make it a point passing along depressing info but for those wanting an accurate cross-section of the current architectural job market in Charlotte....in short, it is abysmal. AIA Charlotte recently published a non-exhaustive survey stating 40 to 60% of architects are unemployed. I am ridiculously blessed to say I still have mine but partners are saying if this trend continues another 4 to 5 months our doors will shut and I'll be collecting unemployment with the vast majority. On the bright side I'm hearing people are leaving this profession and pursuing avenues that are bring fulfillment and purpose. And to them I say, Bravo!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
They're becoming waiters?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM

77 posts, read 149,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatsjl1 View Post
One year later and things have not changed. In fact, they have gotten worse. I typically don't make it a point passing along depressing info but for those wanting an accurate cross-section of the current architectural job market in Charlotte....in short, it is abysmal. AIA Charlotte recently published a non-exhaustive survey stating 40 to 60% of architects are unemployed. I am ridiculously blessed to say I still have mine but partners are saying if this trend continues another 4 to 5 months our doors will shut and I'll be collecting unemployment with the vast majority. On the bright side I'm hearing people are leaving this profession and pursuing avenues that are bring fulfillment and purpose. And to them I say, Bravo!
I'm one of those who left. I graduated from UNCC w/ my B.Arch in 2006 and did design and structural work for a builder, then became a victim of the economy. I have always had a love for residential design and not a ton of interest in commercial design, but obviously there's very little market for that right now.

I am now in a related field (code enforcement) and haven't looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte