Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times

Advertisements

I don't get having Oktoberfest in September but I'm a bit ignorant on such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I don't get having Oktoberfest in September but I'm a bit ignorant on such things.
The reasoning goes back to the olden days in Germany. Some say it was because that is when the Germans would drink the beer left over from the Spring harvest right before the October Harvest that would be used to make fresh beer. Others say they chose the Late September/ Early October because of the weather.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM

187 posts, read 649,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
For an "Oktoberfest" I had expected some kind of combination of German food, German music, and German beer. There wasn't any (aside from one vendor who had bratwurst.)
Sounds like you might like Mecktober fest this weekend at Old Meck Brewery, I got my tickets already!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM

214 posts, read 399,219 times
Lots of fun! I got sunburned. LOL.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 AM

15 posts, read 41,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Waldhorn's in Pineville does Oktoberfest right.
Second this, the Waldhorn Restaurant is the only thing remotely resembling a real "Oktoberfest" here.

Sam

Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lin View Post
The Waldhorn Restaurant is the only thing remotely resembling a real "Oktoberfest" here.
I disagree. This is from Old Mecklenberg brewery:
www.oldemeckbrew.com

The weatherman is calling for 65 degrees and sunny on Saturday, perfect weather for our annual fall Mecktober Fest! Our customers seem to have gotten wind of the beautiful day in the forecast and are snapping up tickets fast. We'll be expecting a huge party this year, so make sure to call and reserve your spot!
This is our premier party of the year, and we've gone all out with an entire roasted pig, authentic German-style bratwurst and our best musical lineup ever. Admission is $25 and includes entry, two 21 oz. mugs of freshly brewed beer, choice of bratwurst, chicken or BBQ plate with two sides and a chance to win OMB prizes in the Mecktober Fest raffle. Guests will also enjoy the sounds of Matt Stratford and Friends as well as the upbeat "oompah" band, The Holzhackern Tyrolean Band. Headliner The First Call Kings will then tear up the late set. Oh, and there's no need to call the sitter...children 12 and under get in free.

Want to purchase your tickets today? It's easy and only a click away! Tickets are available through OMB's online store or you can pick up your tickets in the tap room during regular business hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte