Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,993 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am a 20 something yr old african american single parent finishing up a Masters Degree. I was born and raised in Detroit now I am ready to began my professional life in Charlotte, NC. At this point in time, Detroit is not in the best light due to high crime, homelessness, horrible school systems, corrupted city council and unemployment. With that in mind, I am ready for a change of pace and environment. I hear that NC an up in coming area for young professionals. People who move from Detroit or even Michigan for that matter love, love, love NC! I have been conducting my own research and plan on visiting in December or over the summer. Any advice and ALL advise is welcome? How are the school systems? What do people do for fun (family, or 25 and up fun)? Crime rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamia/Michigan View Post
Hello everyone,
I am a 20 something yr old african american single parent finishing up a Masters Degree. I was born and raised in Detroit now I am ready to began my professional life in Charlotte, NC. At this point in time, Detroit is not in the best light due to high crime, homelessness, horrible school systems, corrupted city council and unemployment. With that in mind, I am ready for a change of pace and environment. I hear that NC an up in coming area for young professionals. People who move from Detroit or even Michigan for that matter love, love, love NC! I have been conducting my own research and plan on visiting in December or over the summer. Any advice and ALL advise is welcome? How are the school systems? What do people do for fun (family, or 25 and up fun)? Crime rates?
Unemployment is high all over the country. You are doing the right thing to come & check, but you should check as many metros in the state as you can.

What field will you be going into?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 90,419 times
Southbound is on point with unemployment being high all over the country. It is high in Charlotte, but job availability really depends on your field. The wife decided to quit her job a couple weeks ago (she didn't consult with me on this, but you gotta love her spontaneity) She was able to get another job lined in about 2 weeks. Some specialized jobs can still be in demand.
As far as schools, safety, and general quality of life for family. Charlotte will not disappoint you.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamia/Michigan View Post
Hello everyone,
Congrats on almost finishing that degree Tamia!

Now use it wherever you can find a job

That may, or may not be, Charlotte as our unemployment rates are still high here. So what I'm saying is, be open to several different places, do your research, then apply to jobs in all those cities.

In addition to Charlotte, take a look at places like Richmond, Virginia and Greenville, SC - both with healthier job markets right now than a lot of other places. Charlotte can be a great place to live. It's a very family oriented city for the most part. But it's a big city now, and as such has some big city ills (though nothing like Detroit!) like troubles with budget shortfalls in the schools, some failing inner city schools, etc...

Best of luck to you

Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM

27 posts, read 44,302 times
I was in the same boat. I moved from Louisville, KY and found a career-path job within a month. Getting a job, as I'm sure you have heard over and over, is more about connections and who you meet. Join as many professional societies as you can (that meet and network regularly that relate to your major) and you will do just fine in Charlotte. I am very pleased with the Charlotte area as a 25 year old who is looking for a place to have fun and meet people but also have the quality of life to want to settle down here.

If you plan on making a solid pay check, I high recommend one of two places:

1. Dilworth- The area is 5 minutes from Uptown and you can walk everywhere. Super nice park within walking distance, neat shops, healthy environment, lots of 20 somethings, and tons of restaurants and things to do within 5-10 minutes. 15 minutes from SouthPark Mall.

2. North Charlotte to Lake Norman Area (exit 18-28)- Anywhere between exit 18 and 28 is really nice. I live off exit 25 which is on the southernmost part of the lake and its awesome. Practically no crime, Birkdale Village offers all the shopping you need, nice bars with diverse crowds, and still 15 minutes from the city.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM

308 posts, read 617,961 times
I believe you will be happier around University City. It has lots of young people, things to do and diversity. Dilworth and Lake Norman are for older professional people (tons of YUPPIES) and does not have the diversity of University City.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Congrats on just about wrapping up the degree.

As has already been stated, please be weary of the job market. Charlotte and NC as a whole have high unemployment rate. Your ability to land a job will depend on your career specialty. I absolutely do not recommend coming down without a job offer in hand. The competition for jobs is similar to what you'll find in Detroit.

Crime - Charlotte seems to have a very high crime rate, especially for how small the city is compared to other high crime cities. It is easy to find a quiet neighborhood, but common sense goes a long ways - keep your doors locked, be aware, etc.

Schools - I don't have kids, so I can't comment much. I do know that there is debate on how good the schools are, but that also depends on which schools.

Homelessness/etc - Still high here, foreclosures are high.

You will see a difference in cleanliness of the city and the pride taken in upkeep throughout many neighborhoods. I'm also from MI and really do like it down here, but it will be a culture shock and possible higher cost of living for you (for example, if you rent, you really don't have property taxes to deal with. In NC, you can expect to see personal property taxes that you don't see in MI). Most of who you will encounter in Charlotte are not native; I think the recent statistics show 51% transplant population now.

Best advice just coming out of school.. follow the jobs where ever they are, do not limit yourself to any specific state without knowing where your knowledge is in demand.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM

128 posts, read 272,333 times
I moved to Charlotte about 4 years ago and lived in the Dilworth/South End area (just recently moved to Fort Mill). It's a great area. There are plenty of young people that live there. Lots of good restaurants and some good neighborhood type bars as well. Another place to look into is the Plaza Midwood and Noda areas. Great nightlife too. They are all just a couple miles from downtown (or as we call it, uptown). As for the job market, it all depends on what field you are in. The unemployment number is in double digits for the state, but that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities out there either. Research and energy are growing sectors here along with finance, hospitality, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 AM

201 posts, read 804,258 times
My husband and I moved here from Lansing, MI almost 4 years ago - and we absolutely love it here. Charlotte is now home! The best advice that I can give in relation to where you should live would be to rent before deciding where to buy. There are so many great areas in Charlotte and each one is different. It can be difficult to tell where you may want to live until you've spent some time here...I would suggest renting for at least 6 months.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer anything specific for you about our Michigan to Charlotte experience.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,993 times
Oh wow!!! THANKS EVERYBODY! I truly appreciate you all taking time out of your bust schedules to reply to my post :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte