Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times

Advertisements

I have been scoping out houses around 250k in the Blakeney area. Some of them are really close and seem an easy walk but was wondering if Ardrey Crest was still doable?

I found a few houses behind it off Blakeney Heath but wasn't sure if sidewalks/crosswalks were safe once you get out of the neighborhoods for ones that are a bit farther away.

Do people that live in the houses near Blakeney actually walk to the shopping center or are they driving (assuming not getting a full cart of groceries!)?

Also 1/2 the neighborhoods have pools...it would be nice but it isn't a deal breaker for us. How does that affect resale value? I figure we would have lower HOA without a pool/clubhouse.

Is traffic pretty good during the day before/after rush hours? Are the shops/activities packed in the area (classes for preschool kids, YMCA etc...)?

Hubby would be driving south 521 to Hwy 160 in Fort Mill about 1 mile from that intersection. I think the location would be easy for his commute as well. I have narrowed down schools to Ardrey Kell. If there are other neighborhoods within walking distance to other shopping centers in that school district that I haven't considered --please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Blakeney is not very walkable for the traffic reasons you point out - especially if you have to cross Rea... Did you look at Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 PM

162 posts, read 729,639 times
There are a whole set of neighborhoods behind the Blakeney shopping center that are pretty walkable to the shopping center. Mitchell Glenn, Wildflower Pond, Blakeney Heath and possibly Ellington Park. I live in Blakeney Heath, and we have sidewalks that go all the way out to the main street. I believe they extended them all the way to the shopping center... but not sure if they are in front of the montesorri school yet... At any rate, it is a great location, we have walked to shop or see the summer music shows on occasion, and I see others carrying groceries from time to time.

I don't think any of these communities have pools, and traffic is very manageable, especially if your commute is only to Fort Mill. I drive the kids to Hawk Ridge every morning, and it only takes a few minutes. There are a few options for pre-schools that are all close by.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Blakeney is not very walkable for the traffic reasons you point out - especially if you have to cross Rea... Did you look at Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC?
I originally considered Baxter until I drove DH's work commute. It would easily double compared to the area off 521 near Blakeney. PLUS after much research and consideration I want to remain a NC citizen. I also like the opportunity for magnet programs with CMS. Add to that--the houses I like in Baxter are WAY over my price range.

Now if the new job comes with a much bigger salary it may open the door but I think that ultimately I want to remain in NC. We previously lived behind charlotte Catholic High and are familiar with Charlotte/South Charlotte area.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapsme View Post
There are a whole set of neighborhoods behind the Blakeney shopping center that are pretty walkable to the shopping center. Mitchell Glenn, Wildflower Pond, Blakeney Heath and possibly Ellington Park. I live in Blakeney Heath, and we have sidewalks that go all the way out to the main street. I believe they extended them all the way to the shopping center... but not sure if they are in front of the montesorri school yet... At any rate, it is a great location, we have walked to shop or see the summer music shows on occasion, and I see others carrying groceries from time to time.

I don't think any of these communities have pools, and traffic is very manageable, especially if your commute is only to Fort Mill. I drive the kids to Hawk Ridge every morning, and it only takes a few minutes. There are a few options for pre-schools that are all close by.

I found a few in Blakeney Heath and Ellington Park that seem to work from the looks on the internet. I have driven the area mid afternoon wknd time but haven't been there midweek. The office would be in the MacMillan Pkwy just barely off 521 so it is almost in NC and barely Ft Mill!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
I used to live in Blakeney Heath, but that was before Blakeney (the shopping area) opened. I drive Blakeney Heath Road regularly as I still live nearby, and I do see people walking to the shopping center fairly often.

Regarding the pool, yes, your HOA dues will typically be lower in neighborhoods without a pool. Also, the YMCA is so close and many from the neighborhood join that pool.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,687 times
Blakeneny is very walkable. I lived across the street and I would say at least 25% of the people in my neighborhood walked with their kids across to the shopping center on a regular basis. The roads can be busy at times but it's very normal to see adults, children in strollers, etc.. on their way to Blakeney.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
You could also check out Providence Pointe off of 521. It is very close to Fort Mill, as well as Blakeney. We go to Blakeney often for shopping and such. Not walkable tho. Not sure if this is a deal breaker, but there are a ton of neighborhoods that feed into Ardrey Kell High School nearby, not necessarily by Blakeney.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 AM

554 posts, read 1,508,194 times
I agree with Charlottean. I live in Blakeney - it is definitely walkable. There are sidewalks everywhere and a lot of people walk, including myself.... It's a good area to live in, I love it!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
I agree with Charlottean. I live in Blakeney - it is definitely walkable. There are sidewalks everywhere and a lot of people walk, including myself.... It's a good area to live in, I love it!
Great! Thanks! I really want to find a home where we don't have to rely on our car for EVERYTHING. I won't be giving up a 2nd vehicle but it would be nice to get out and exercise with a destination...not just mindlessly walking around the same houses over and over. I get so bored walking in our neighborhood. The main road doesn't have sidewalks so you can't get anywhere from here without taking your life in your own hands.

It would be nice to even have connecting neighborhoods or other places to "go." It is like being on an island. I love it when we travel and we can walk out of our hotel room and walk to shopping, dining, play etc...

This car lifestyle is not kind to my bottom line! It would also be nice to have hubby fairl close if he needed to run home to help with something or if we were down a car for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte