Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

I saw old Crow Medicine Show at the Neighborhood theatre Saturday night and that had to be the rudest audience in the history of music. I was in the side section with my wife and friends, and the crowd continued loud conversations during the entire show.

The worst was when four girls in their 20s got directly behind us and screamed like they were being stabbed at the top of their volume for the last forty-five minutes. We asked them to hold it down because they were disturbing us as well as a number of other people with no success whatever. They screamed through older material as well as new songs that had not been heard before.

This was my first trip to the Neighborhood Theatre, and may very well be my last if that was a typical audience. I got the impression that they can't decide whether they are a theatre or a bar.

Can anyone give me some insight as to whether that was a normal night and/or crowd? I can drive to Atlanta or Chapel Hill or even Jacksonville if needs be to see music and be able to enjoy it. I certainly don't need the hassle of a crowd of screaming drunks when I am watching a decent act that I shelled out a couple hundred bucks to see. Thanks.

Last edited by cuebald; 11-15-2010 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I've been to the Neighborhood Theater many times, with both the younger crowd (Umphrey's McGee, Big Head Todd) and the older crowd (Johnny Winter, Dickie Betts) and haven't experienced any specifically unruly behavior. In fact, most times people just sit quietly and watch the show. So, I don't know what to say. Maybe that's the typical audience for that musical act?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 AM

Shouldn't have been the crowd of followers. I've seen them a couple of times before and the audience has been really into the music (Neo-Old Time String Band).

I'm hoping that this was just an off night. I've been to Charlotte a number of times for shows including punk venues that had a lot more respectful crowds than the one Saturday night.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
If you have the same problem again, I've found that a psychotic, "I will eat your children" look and a few choice words will have the unruly fools moving along quickly.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 AM

468 posts, read 826,364 times
Seems to be a product of our times I guess.

People don't seem to want to applaud anymore. They substitute screaming instead.

Just one of the many reasons I don't watch much network TV that has a live audience.

All that screaming is just stupid and annoying.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Our only visit to the Neighborhood Theatre was to see Leon Russel, so it was an older crowd. We sat on the left side near the bar and I did notice that people hanging out at the bar were talking loudly which was a bit annoying, but the folks seated around us were not screaming, nor drunk. That doesn't sound like much fun.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 39,418 times
There is always a pocket of a-holes at any concert in any given genre or venue when alchol is served. By hanging out on the side closer to the bar you drew a higher chance of being in that pocket. If you go to HOB in Myrtle where the floor is surrounded by bars your chances are extremely high.

Having been to many shows at Neighborhood, it isn't my favorite venue as it is about as big I would want for a GA venue, but it is far from the bottom of the list.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Thanks, Guys, for all the feedback.

My wife and I are pushing 60 and she isn't able to stand for long periods, so we are stuck with the side room and the chairs if we return.

I like the venue, but as I said, I don't think they know whether they are a theater or a bar.

I will say, it will take a KILLER show to get me back to the place.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
My only other comment is that, having gone there in the past with someone who's disabled, they bent over backwards to accomodate her in a power scooter, including reserving a spot near the front on the aisle so she could see without being blocked, allowing me to park and unload in front, and reserving a parking spot out back, all without any extra charges. Not too many other venues do that.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 PM

119 posts, read 247,213 times
I've been to the Neighborhood Theatre many times, and have only had one bad experience. Usually, the crowd is good. The one time I went to see Citizen Cope, the crowd seemed like mostly teenagers that just wanted to sneak drinks, smoke weed, and talk to each other during the show at the top of their lungs. Don't get me wrong - I love to see a good show and I love having a good time doing it (well, with a few beers, at least). I can also tolerate a lot. But we got so annoyed with the 17-year old crowd there that we left half-way through the show. Funny thing was, it was during a thunderstorm, and as soon as we walked out of the building, we stood for a few seconds under the awning before running to our car. Lightening struck and the power went out immediately. We heard screams of seeming horror from inside, and then decided to make the run to our car before the entire place emptied into the streets in pouring rain. It was hilarious.

That being said, every other show that I have seen there has been great - Band of Horses, Jump Little Children, Noises 10, Metric/Band of Skulls, and plenty of others I'm not remembering right now.

I think some shows just attract the teenage crowd, and that is where things get out of hand with the attendees being too chatty, sneaking liquor and talking about how they are getting "so wasted," and lighting a joint right beside me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte