Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 28,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am 31 years old, and the mother of two lovely children. I am seriously considering the move to Charlotte, or Raleigh NC. However, I am currently in my last ungrad semester, and will graduate in May 2010. I would like to complete my studies prior to moving. I have over 9 years of experience in the healthcare industry- specifically in medical billing/accounting under a leadership role. Will it be difficult to find a job in NC? Do I need to make the move first? Or would it be wise to find a position prior to moving? I am a planner, so I have saved a considerable amount for this move- I wanted to do it for years.. but I don't want my savings to deplete drastically? I currrently live in Brooklyn, NY and want a better quality of life for my children and I. Please help me, and provide some advice. I really want to get out of NYC's expensive, and non-family environment. Anyone with experience in this? Help!

Last edited by jeejee1206; 03-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: specifics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM

124 posts, read 212,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeejee1206 View Post
Hi,
I am 31 years old, and the mother of two lovely children. I am seriously considering the move to Charlotte, or Raleigh NC. However, I am currently in my last ungrad semester, and will graduate in May 2010. I would like to complete my studies prior to moving. I have over 9 years of experience in the healthcare industry- specifically in medical billing/accounting under a leadership role. Will it be difficult to find a job in NC? Do I need to make the move first? Or would it be wise to find a position prior to moving? I am a planner, so I have saved a considerable amount for this move- I wanted to do it for years.. but I don't want my savings to deplete drastically? I currrently live in Brooklyn, NY and want a better quality of life for my children and I. Please help me, and provide some advice. I really want to get out of NYC's expensive, and non-family environment. Anyone with experience in this? Help!
Was this you?
single mother wanting to relocate to Charlotte
Seems to ask the same question.

If not, maybe you can find your answers there.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeejee1206 View Post
...... I have over 9 years of experience in the healthcare industry- specifically in medical billing/accounting under a leadership role. Will it be difficult to find a job in NC? Do I need to make the move first? Or would it be wise to find a position prior to moving? .....!
in one word: Yes

Medical billing and coding is the certificate of choice promoted to the unemployed/under-employed people because the classes are quick, inexpensive, and my personal favorite: "there's ALWAYS jobs in the medical field". Unless you are multi-certified in these areas and have something that makes you stand out from everyone in your field who has been furloughed from the healthcare industry, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:52 AM

595 posts, read 1,623,899 times
Question: Difficult to find a job? Specifically in medical billing/accounting?

Answer: Very Difficult, Good Luck

Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM

554 posts, read 1,509,011 times
I'm not in the same industry as you but other than that my situation is pretty similar. I moved from NY last year when the jobs were down and everyone told me not to do it until I had found a job first. For me it seemed like the perfect time. I got laid off and got a pretty hefty severance package so I knew that I could live off of it for awhile because rent is cheaper here and I thought cost of living was (it is...but groceries isn't). Anyway...when I got down here I got a lot of calls from recruiters, for the first 6 months I didn't even want a job I wanted time to be able to make this move a pleasant transition for my daughter who was 2 at the time. So I turned down interviews blah blah blah....then in late October I wanted to start looking and there was NOTHING, no phone calls, no nothing! But about a month later I was bombarded with calls again. So my point is that it comes and goes in waves. I'm in sales so its a little different...I was looking for outside sales with a good base + commission structure. But what I would recommend is putting your resume on monster, career builder, all of that...see if you get any calls even when you're in NY (although when I did that I didn't get any calls - I think it was because they saw my address as still being in NY - so change your address or don't put one at all).

Also go on indeed.com (its my favorite website for job searches) and see how many positions are even advertsing a job that you are looking for...that will give you a better feel of the job market down here. I think that if you are persistant and if you know there are a good amount of open jobs in that field then I say go for it....I was hesistant to even though I knew I had enough money in the bank but I did it and it was the best decision I've ever made....but again, I'm in sales the job opportunity could be much higher than it is in medical billing....

Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 28,393 times
Thanks Everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte