Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times

Advertisements

I think you would be better off learning at a 4 yr school or interning. I was thinking of going to this school years ago for radio (not the Charlotte location, another one)...believe it or not, I ended up talking my way into a part-time gig at a small radio station, and that was the best education I could have possibly received.

I just dont think the the trade school can teach you something that you couldnt learn through a regular school or an internship.

Broadcasting can be a hard business...as someone mentioned earlier it can be a lot of moving around the country, and a lot of thankless low paying jobs before (if?) you get a good paying stable gig. Plus, lots of jobs have been cut as stations downsize (radio and TV, and I know that isnt just a broadcasting thing in this economy). Not saying you dont already know this stuff, but I wanted to mention it just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
The Connecticut School of Broadcasting of today is a great school if you can get in, but that's tougher than you might think. They only accept 10 students per class each semester at the campus in Charlotte and there are generally more than 10 people each WEEK coming to the weekly tours. A college degree and/or a steady successful work history will go a long way, as well a strong intellectual aptitude. There are no recruiters, no admissions coordinators, or anything like that. It's a fairly small school, but they do give you a lot of individual attention and grads who don't go to work can come back to the school at no charge. If you have to be talked into it, you should likely go into a different profession, as the field is highly competitive.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 898 times
So what was your end result findings about this school? Im looking to attend and want to go more into the TV side more so than radio. Ive heard responses and opinions from a lot of people and there approval ratings differentiate vastly which leaves me confused at any real opinion relating to my concern and questioning.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
I've worked in the field of TV news and video production for many years and much (if not all) of what the others have posted here is true. The business is cutting way back, consolidating many positions, or just plain hiring young-dumb-cheap.

As far as the Connecticut School of Broadcasting here in Charlotte, I had worked once with the original owner of the school's Charlotte franchise a few years ago. I don't know if he is still the owner of it now...but I do know that the school shut down abruptly soon after it first opened and that they were trying to sell off all of the equipment. The guy is a Grade A con artist...conned the station that we worked for into believing that he was an expert in the field with a long list of credentials that later proved to be unverifiable. He also owned a couple of other companies that no one would (or could) really explain what they did. General consensus after he worked at the station after only a short while was that he was full of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte