Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Maybe if you're a teenybopper or someone who fawns over celebrities at clubs, which is usually the categories that these Charlotte haters fall into. But when you enter into that young professional, "grown and sexy" stage, none of that crap matters and you realize that there is more than enough in Charlotte to keep you occupied socially. Between the regular venues and the events in connection with several civic, professional, and volunteer groups that I'm either affiliated with or know people who are affiliated with them, I'm more than satisfied with the offerings here.

At any rate, I, too, enjoyed the festivities over the weekend. Next year I'll try not to party so hard at night until I miss the daytime activities.
You are one person not 1.8 million who and what you know, everyone else might not. For the record grown and sexy people enjoy establishment where celebrities are throwing massive parties also. I work in the entertainment industry(I'm a stylist) I have partied with the best of the best so I have experienced some great nightlife scenes across this country, Plus you wanna appeal to your ever growing young professionals as well as your Grown and sexy crowd, Hippie Crowd, Gay community, Raggae lovers etc. A city that has a thriving nightlife will provide a excellent scene for all genres of people. To be honest I wouldn't even put Atlanta in the Top 5 more like Top 15 The only thing thriving there is its Nightlife for AA community and Gay community and maybe Hippie crowd as east Village is where they all hang out at. Maybe you should be a promoter or something because Charlotte does a horrible job at Promoting its nightlife For visitors and new arrivals and I'm referring to just regular weekends. That maybe the problem. Celebrities are mostly used as promotion for that particular Venue. Some cities are known for these things like Atlanta Miami NY Vegas etc. Those 4 mostly consist of High energy Dance clubs in there Nightlife, With Beautiful well dressed men and women. Some of the Hottest Djs from around the country visit these places. They have some of the most upscale Venues. If your used to Miami type partying then Charlotte would be boring, If your from Back Swamp NC then Charlotte may be a happening place for you to have fun. If Your a bar person then hey Charlotte may be great but I wouldn't even put Charlotte Top 10 on that.. For this image to go away that Charlotte is Boring the city needs to capture more things like CIAA weekend. Freaknik, Buckhead Village, The Entertainment industry/ Big media presences, put Atlanta on the map as a destination to party. Some people will go to a club or bar because they know that they can party till 4 and 5 in the morning or they know there is no last call or The men and women maybe be on point or the energy and vibrancy of that scene was so high that it made them wanna come back. . Its going to take a while before its known for having thriving nightlife and entertainment scene. Ill end with this while I was in N.O for Mardi Gras( which was insane) I heard that Charlotte did a great job and I heard lots of people had great reviews about that weekend Thats no lie. Which makes me wanna attend the event next year. Word of Mouth and good promoting goes along way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You are one person not 1.8 million who and what you know, everyone else might not. For the record grown and sexy people enjoy establishment where celebrities are throwing massive parties also. I work in the entertainment industry(I'm a stylist) I have partied with the best of the best so I have experienced some great nightlife scenes across this country, Plus you wanna appeal to your ever growing young professionals as well as your Grown and sexy crowd, Hippie Crowd, Gay community, Raggae lovers etc. A city that has a thriving nightlife will provide a excellent scene for all genres of people. To be honest I wouldn't even put Atlanta in the Top 5 more like Top 15 The only thing thriving there is its Nightlife for AA community and Gay community and maybe Hippie crowd as east Village is where they all hang out at. Maybe you should be a promoter or something because Charlotte does a horrible job at Promoting its nightlife For visitors and new arrivals and I'm referring to just regular weekends. That maybe the problem. Celebrities are mostly used as promotion for that particular Venue. Some cities are known for these things like Atlanta Miami NY Vegas etc. Those 4 mostly consist of High energy Dance clubs in there Nightlife, With Beautiful well dressed men and women. Some of the Hottest Djs from around the country visit these places. They have some of the most upscale Venues. If your used to Miami type partying then Charlotte would be boring, If your from Back Swamp NC then Charlotte may be a happening place for you to have fun. If Your a bar person then hey Charlotte may be great but I wouldn't even put Charlotte Top 10 on that.. For this image to go away that Charlotte is Boring the city needs to capture more things like CIAA weekend. Freaknik, Buckhead Village, The Entertainment industry/ Big media presences, put Atlanta on the map as a destination to party. Some people will go to a club or bar because they know that they can party till 4 and 5 in the morning or they know there is no last call or The men and women maybe be on point or the energy and vibrancy of that scene was so high that it made them wanna come back. . Its going to take a while before its known for having thriving nightlife and entertainment scene. Ill end with this while I was in N.O for Mardi Gras( which was insane) I heard that Charlotte did a great job and I heard lots of people had great reviews about that weekend Thats no lie. Which makes me wanna attend the event next year. Word of Mouth and good promoting goes along way..
I hear what you're saying and maybe it is a problem with getting the word out. However, Club 935, Suite at Epicenter, and a club in Lake Norman (forgot the name of it) regularly have celebrities promoting their clubs. Off the top of my head, I know that Rick Ross was at Club 935 this past Thanksgiving. DJ Khaled (I think) has also been to Club 935 as well as Club Ice on a regular weekend not too long ago. NBA and NFL players show up at many of the "hott spots" as well.

To think that celebs throwing parties at clubs only happens during the CIAA or a special event in Charlotte is a myth. Carolina Blue was correct. Charlotte is fun for a city its size.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM

44 posts, read 97,608 times
My CIAA experience was great! I have been attending CIAA since it has came to Charlotte and I have enjoyed every minute of the festivities! I will say that over the years the crowd has increased which is great for any city's economy especially at this point in time. People in Charlotte are friendly and I have always loved the hospitality they give to visitors. I parked at the Tyvola light rail station and took it Uptown with no problems at all. It was great not having to worry about expensive parking Uptown. The Toyota Fan Experience was awesome as always! Hit up a day party too... Two Thumbs Up!

Now, I will say that over the years I have noticed the with the bigger crowds you do have some "bad apples" in the bunch, but that can happen at any event. I will say that I was not pleased with what I saw when I was at an Uptown restaurant on Saturday evening. It was a few people who had to be chased down by the police, because they skipped out on their bills. This is the type of non-sense regardless of the event is just unacceptable. Let's keep it CLASSY!

I also think that the City of Charlotte should look into a curfew or impose a rule that those under the age of 16 yrs old should be accompanied by an adult when Uptown after 10pm. I saw so many unattended youth who were out and about without supervison. While they were not causing problems-I just feel like they need to be supervised by an adult for safety reasons.

I drove from Raleigh-no problems getting into the city, but leaving was a beast! It took me almost four hours to make a two hour drive back due to traffic, but I expected it to be a little heavy. I guess the rain didn't help. I just hope that Charlotte works on possibly expanding the highway between Concord & China Grove before the DNC, because I know there will be tons of traffic causing horrible grid lock.

Other than that-Charlotte was a great host city! Can't wait for CIAA 2012!

Last edited by IvyGurl08; 03-07-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 02:59 AM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
Unlike Atlanta, Charlotte doesn't promote itself as a nightlife city, largely because we want to avoid a lot of the problems that come along with that. But that doesn't mean we don't have nightlife. If a person is in the know, they can easily find any venue that can cater to their particular tastes. You obviously put a higher premium on nightlife because it's part of your bread and butter, which is understandable. Charlotte's nightlife is more organic and simply evolves as the city grows. The more we grow, the more options we have for nightlife.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Your points are well taken. I think the issue I, and some other Charlotte posters have with you Atlanta people, is that you try to insinuate because Charlotte's night life is not as vibrant as Atlanta's that the city has some sort of "problem". It doesn't. Charlotte is one of the top destinations in the country for young professionals, especially black professionals. We couldn't attract and keep those people if they didn't enjoy living here.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Im not trying to fan any flames here.. but most of the City Boosters that I have talked to (and granted they are mostly over the age of 35) claim that they dont want to be anything like Atlanta in the sense that they want the City to have its own identity and not necessarily become a "party town" or "sprawled" In other words its seems like some like it "boring" for a variety of reasons. Its seems like Charlotte is modeling itself after places like Minneapolis and Seattle. That being said.. I like both cities but for different reasons.

Getting back to the light rail.. from Tyvola in.. there still seems to be a ways to go in the form of true urban development but as you get closer to uptown..(i.e. I guess the South End) you can see it taking shape with the condos and newer development. A friend of mine took me over to the Northern end of Charlotte..to eat at a soul food restaurant.. I was surprised as we left downtown that the light rail dead ended downtown.. Are there plans for it to go up north? Seems like the area could also benefit from some of the development brought on by the light rail similiar to what is happening on the Southside. I wouldnt mind coming back to CLT sometime after the CIAA to see the activity in places like the Epi Center and Uptown on a regular night/weekend..Still seems like the area has alot to offer.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
You are one person not 1.8 million who and what you know, everyone else might not. For the record grown and sexy people enjoy establishment where celebrities are throwing massive parties also. I work in the entertainment industry(I'm a stylist) I have partied with the best of the best so I have experienced some great nightlife scenes across this country, Plus you wanna appeal to your ever growing young professionals as well as your Grown and sexy crowd, Hippie Crowd, Gay community, Raggae lovers etc. A city that has a thriving nightlife will provide a excellent scene for all genres of people. To be honest I wouldn't even put Atlanta in the Top 5 more like Top 15 The only thing thriving there is its Nightlife for AA community and Gay community and maybe Hippie crowd as east Village is where they all hang out at. Maybe you should be a promoter or something because Charlotte does a horrible job at Promoting its nightlife For visitors and new arrivals and I'm referring to just regular weekends. That maybe the problem. Celebrities are mostly used as promotion for that particular Venue. Some cities are known for these things like Atlanta Miami NY Vegas etc. Those 4 mostly consist of High energy Dance clubs in there Nightlife, With Beautiful well dressed men and women. Some of the Hottest Djs from around the country visit these places. They have some of the most upscale Venues. If your used to Miami type partying then Charlotte would be boring, If your from Back Swamp NC then Charlotte may be a happening place for you to have fun. If Your a bar person then hey Charlotte may be great but I wouldn't even put Charlotte Top 10 on that.. For this image to go away that Charlotte is Boring the city needs to capture more things like CIAA weekend. Freaknik, Buckhead Village, The Entertainment industry/ Big media presences, put Atlanta on the map as a destination to party. Some people will go to a club or bar because they know that they can party till 4 and 5 in the morning or they know there is no last call or The men and women maybe be on point or the energy and vibrancy of that scene was so high that it made them wanna come back. . Its going to take a while before its known for having thriving nightlife d entertainment scene. Ill end with this while I was in N.O for Mardi Gras( which was insane) I heard that Charlotte did a great job and I heard lots of people had great reviews about that weekend Thats no lie. Which makes me wanna attend the event next year. Word of Mouth and good promoting goes along way..
It has to an organic transition, not contrived and usually occurs with growth. Atlanta is 30+ years ahead of Charlotte relative to population; 2011 Atlanta looks and feels nothing like 1981 Atlanta. Cities like New Orleans are culturally different altogether.

Freaknik???? you gotta be kidding right, there's a reason that was elimated.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
^Same thing I said. Atlanta is known as the "Black Mecca" and so has produced and attracted lots of R&B/hip hop artists which is a big part of the nightlife there. As you said, cities like New Orleans are different cultural animals--that also includes other cities similar in size to Charlotte like Austin, Memphis, and Nashville which have strong musical legacies. Charlotte's standing and status is tied first and foremost to business as opposed to anything cultural, so nightlife and such are simply organic by-products of the growth that is spurred by primarily by business. Overall, I think this works for Charlotte. It has resulted in a well-balanced city, IMO.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Im not trying to fan any flames here.. but most of the City Boosters that I have talked to (and granted they are mostly over the age of 35) claim that they dont want to be anything like Atlanta in the sense that they want the City to have its own identity and not necessarily become a "party town" or "sprawled" In other words its seems like some like it "boring" for a variety of reasons. Its seems like Charlotte is modeling itself after places like Minneapolis and Seattle. That being said.. I like both cities but for different reasons.

Getting back to the light rail.. from Tyvola in.. there still seems to be a ways to go in the form of true urban development but as you get closer to uptown..(i.e. I guess the South End) you can see it taking shape with the condos and newer development. A friend of mine took me over to the Northern end of Charlotte..to eat at a soul food restaurant.. I was surprised as we left downtown that the light rail dead ended downtown.. Are there plans for it to go up north? Seems like the area could also benefit from some of the development brought on by the light rail similiar to what is happening on the Southside. I wouldnt mind coming back to CLT sometime after the CIAA to see the activity in places like the Epi Center and Uptown on a regular night/weekend..Still seems like the area has alot to offer.

You hit the nail on the spot with that and those are good examples. I see Charlotte Following Seattle though

Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 PM

44 posts, read 97,608 times
I must say that I constantly hear people from Atlanta continuously going against Charlotte. My thoughts are this- If you want Waffle House you don't go to IHOP -vice versa. So if you want Atlanta nightlife go to Atlanta. Each city is different for reason they each have their own agenda and vibe. Atlanta has it's old southern charm and Charlotte has it's southern charm with a new skool twist. I've been to both cities several times and I must say- it really depends on your individual interest. I'm not going to go to Miami and then complain it's not like NYC. I'll just go to NYC. I say if you don't like Charlotte okay, but don't down the city just because it doesn't suit your interest for the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte