Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 PM

359 posts, read 592,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Actually, I think people opposed to diversity are narrow minded and need to get out more. I can understand opposition to a specific person. I don't understand opposition to entire groups simply because they are not like me.

And yes, if a Black person or Asian or Hispanic told this board they wanted to live around their own kind, I'd think them narrow minded too.
So if people don't share your point of view they are narrow minded and need to get out more?

Your view seems rather harsh to me. I say let people live their lives as they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 PM

459 posts, read 699,380 times
Hispanic isn't an ethnicity. That always irks me

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Yes, I'm not ok with with that type of thinking. I'm not ok with members of Nambla either.

BTW, Charlotte is great for a number of reasons. Increased diversity was never on my list for what made Charlotte great for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
So if people don't share your point of view they are narrow minded and need to get out more?

Your view seems rather harsh to me. I say let people live their lives as they see fit.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
When I get home I am telling my wife to throw away her Pills. I will do my best to balance the numbers back.
Sorry that was funny as heck, spilled my hit Starbucks but it was worth it.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
When are we going to tell people to stop calling us MINORities? I wonder if people actually know what this means? It means you are LESS THAN not equal to! DAMN!
I know exactly what you mean. Words are powerful and often times intentional, subconsciously.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Words are powerful and often times intentional, subconsciously.
Plain silly..and paranoid I might add

Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Here is a WSJ article on the subject . . . wh/ mentions Charlotte, in particular:

U.S. Moves Toward 'Majority Minority' - WSJ.com

excerpt:

Charlotte, N.C., and surrounding Mecklenburg County offer a microcosm of the diversifying nation. A statue of Mahatma Gandhi stands in front of the historic county courthouse, a gift from the Charlotte Asian Heritage Association. Food Lion, a supermarket chain in the Southeast, spent the past year adding thousands of Hispanic food items to 19 Charlotte area stores. In 1990, 70.3% of the county was white. Today, it is 54.6%, and Mecklenburg County's youngest whites are a minority among their peers.

I have been trying to find stats that would give us some insight into changing income patterns here and how that may or may not have been affected by inmigration. When a local news station this evening reported that there are 43K children living in poverty here Charlotte, it really caught my attention. (I grew up in a town smaller than 43K!!!) I would like to see how that compares to 2005 and 2000 - and how migration patterns may or may not have affected poverty in this county/city.

These are legitimate concerns, as social programs/education make up the biggest chunk of budgets. Finding ways to mitigate poverty and protect our children - as well as educate them - is the way to ensure that Charlotte stays a vital, thriving place to live.

Mayor Foxx has proposed a plan to address the needs of children living in poverty, but I am not sure it is getting to the root cause of poverty in this region. Are people living in poverty due to recent loss of jobs? Or are they part of a continual/generational poverty cycle? Or are they part of an inmigration to the region (having no jobs when they came and finding no jobs for months after arriving).

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/27312108/detail.html

It is important to study migration patterns, but only if we link these studies to more pressing information re: poverty, education and jobs. The skilled and unskilled labor in any region is typically the determinant of what types of corporations will or will not consider a city as a place to expand business or establish a new business (or relocate corporate headquarters). These decisions affect whether or not we get those jobs into our city so folks can get back to work - and escape the poverty income level.

Last edited by brokensky; 03-24-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
I forgot about this Thread/Post until I just got a Reputation Point for it. I pointed this out a couple of years ago (and other things about Charlotte) and was attacked.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM

763 posts, read 822,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Actually, I think people opposed to diversity are narrow minded and need to get out more. I can understand opposition to a specific person. I don't understand opposition to entire groups simply because they are not like me.

And yes, if a Black person or Asian or Hispanic told this board they wanted to live around their own kind, I'd think them narrow minded too.
What you are saying in reality is that you feel that Italians, Chinese, Koreans, Irish, blacks, Muslims, Jews, and Hispanics are "narrow minded and need to get out more" since they live in areas that consist of their own cultures. I don't believe that it is these people that need to get out more. It is just hard to think that all of these people are ignorant according to your rationale.

Do you think that the Danes, Swedes, Finns, Norse, Irish, are also narrow minded for living in countries that are not diverse?

People are free to live with whomever the feel comfortable. It has always been this way. Humanity, in most cases, is free to diversify if they choose. It had to do with survival and support. I personally think that people that don't understand this simple, no-brainer concept are ignorant themselves. People have the right to be happy doing what they want and living where they want as long as it doesn't harm others and isn't against the law. And they should be able to do this without being judged. Pretty simple.

Additionally, I want to live where my family and I will be safe to walk around without worrying about thugs, drunks, or slobs. If I check crime reports and other demographics and I end up in an area that is void of a certain ethnic group(s) and puts me in the category as being "ignorant" , I couldn't care less. I live in a small neighborhood with people from Cuba, India, Greece, Equador, China, and Vietnam. We all feel the same. We are happy with our level of diversity, but we would also be happy if it were safe without diversity. If I have an uncontrollable urge for diversity, I will go to the mall.

I am pretty certain that my feelings are not different than those of people of any race. I am over 40 and we tend to become more realistic after that magic number.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 12-21-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 AM

763 posts, read 822,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnee View Post
So since my family and I are now the minority.....will there be a swing in programs that offer free money for businesses, school, etc? I wonder...with respect of course.
Caucasians and Asians need not apply. You are too smart and successful. Not my words, the governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte