Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 AM

103 posts, read 395,855 times

Advertisements

Fire Ants - very common, you will most certainly encounter these. pretty painful bites that stick with you for a while

Scorpions are very rare here, but can still be found.

Velvet ants also rarely seen

Black Widows - you will see these, I see them often

Brown Recluse - you won't typically know what you're looking at but also a common occurrence

Copperheads - common if you live near a wooded area
http://scienceblogs.com/clock/upload/2007/02/copperhead.jpg (broken link)

Water Moccasins - less common but if you live near water you may see one

rattle snakes - I've never seen one and have heard very few stories of sightings in our area

Don't confuse the Brown Recluse with the non-poisonous Wolf Spider which is a VERY common spider here

Last edited by Rampart2; 04-01-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampart2 View Post
Scorpians are very rare here, but can still be found. The velvet ants also rarely seen. And I don't think either of them are deadly in this area.

The dangerous critters are

Black Widows - you will see these, I see them often

Brown Recluse - you won't typically know what you're looking at but also a common occurrence

Copperheads - common if you live near a wooded area

Water Moccasins - less common but if you live near water you may see one

rattle snakes - I've never seen one and have heard very few stories of sightings in our area

Don't confuse the Brown Recluse with the Wolf Spider which is a VERY common spider here
Thanks for the pictures NOT...........I have to learn to not look at these threads...

Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Thanks for the pictures NOT...........I have to learn to not look at these threads...
lol.. sorry

Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
No water moccasins or rattlesnakes in charlotte area.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I've seen more than one water moccasin myself.

And I have heard 2 stories in 20 years of rattlesnakes from people who had the encounters.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Water mocscasins are definitely by the lakes/water around here. While my home was being built, there was a rattle snake found underneath some lumber that had been delivered. So yeah they are somewhere out there......

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM

I know a guy who lives about 20 miles east of here and found a nest of cainbreaks in a wood pile. I always heard they weren't moccasins and rattle snakes here but I guess they have migrated here if your reports are accurate. The worse pest I have around my home in charlotte is the black widows. I found a big nasty one in my boat last year and it had been parked inside and was cleaned up shorty before this. If you get any fire ants in your yard its best to treat the entire yard with ant killer rather than wait for them to build multiple mounds. Just several bites from these little devils can send you to the hospital hoping you dont stop breathing before you get there. Not being able to breath is a serious side effect the bites can cause.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I know a guy who lives about 20 miles east of here and found a nest of cainbreaks in a wood pile. I always heard they weren't moccasins and rattle snakes here but I guess they have migrated here if your reports are accurate. The worse pest I have around my home in charlotte is the black widows. I found a big nasty one in my boat last year and it had been parked inside and was cleaned up shorty before this. If you get any fire ants in your yard its best to treat the entire yard with ant killer rather than wait for them to build multiple mounds. Just several bites from these little devils can send you to the hospital hoping you dont stop breathing before you get there. Not being able to breath is a serious side effect the bites can cause.
I would imagine that you'd have to be allergic for that to be the case. Of all the stories and encounters I've seen or heard I've actually never heard or seen that. I've been bit more times then I can count, and it's a pretty common occurrence.

I do agree however that you'd probably be better off treating the whole yard. Seems like if you treat one mound, they just move over and build another..

Sorry, I don't know what a "Cainbreak" is. I looked it up:
Canebrake is the term given to a thicket of canes usually regarded as bamboos. This term is more precisely used for big species of bamboo. A forest of bamboo or a place where there are many bamboos can be called a canebrake.

But that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about. Is that a nickname for some snake that's found here?

I don't know when the moccasins arrived in the Charlotte area, but I know I used to encounter them as a child flipping rocks at Mcalpine creek, and fishing ponds in the Matthews/SE Charlotte area. 25 years ago..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM

I spelled it wrong..its CANEBRAKE see picture
Attached Thumbnails
Creepy crawlies in Charlotte?-snake.jpg  

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I spelled it wrong..its CANEBRAKE see picture
Ahh, it's a type of rattle snake..

Seems in looking it up, it's another name for a timber rattler.

That must have been an experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte