Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekm View Post
I really just wanted a few ideas. I do work during the day, I watch a couple of kids, but I can only watch so many. I don't mind leaving the house at for a second job. I have no intention of starting a blog. Even if I could make money at it, it would take a long time to build traffic and this is an immediate problem, like tomorrow.
I really didn't think you wanted to start a blog, but I also don't think they are on their way out. Sorry to get so off topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
You could do foster care since you are home already. Maybe just take in infants (one at a time!).

Also, elder 'daycare' is something there is a need for.

In terms of work in your field/background....hmmm. There are virtual admin. jobs. Also, online teaching maybe?

Taben
One does not do foster care to make money. You only get paid 475$ monthly and have to prove you can pay your own bills to be approved.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
You could earn that much a month delivering newspapers in the early morning.
Old thread, I know, but in the 3 years that have passed I'm sure paper delivery has become even less lucrative. A buddy did it for a while. I think he told me he made less than $600/month (a dozen years ago) but his car took a serious beating.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 16,179 times
I know this is an old thread, but do you have a college degree from a prestigious school? You can potentially work as an admissions consultant and help applicants with their essay writing process. It's a big business that pays very well. Here's an article about this: Private College Admissions Consultants: Does Your Child Need One? | Ruth Starkman

I currently do this for grad school apps.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Yes we do!

@juliekm

The reason you can't think of any legitimate "home-based" jobs is because there aren't any. Sorry.
Yep.. Besides support agent which is really inbound sales where you get fired in a week if you don't produce a high rate..

The only economical+logistical option is a second job, and FYI: Even if you had investment funds, any business owner will tell you there is a non-profit period after startup, even if you're doing a contract or contracts, 1k worth of work in the current freelance market is a lot of work and you wouldn't likely be able to make much subbing out parts of big jobs either at what most are paying..

But hey according to everyone who makes over 65k in this country we're just entitled and don't work hard enough.. While they couldn't even hold the jobs we do..

I wish I was wrong about any of this..

Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM

197 posts, read 232,141 times
Just a thought here, when we vacation we don't like to send our pets to animal places so we hire a girl here that made a business of coming to your home to feed your pets, and stay with them a bit. Takes maybe 30 min if that. The pets are happy, we feel happy on vaca, and we pay her about 100.00 a week for this service. Get 10 people and bam you have your 1000 a month. No overhead, just some flyer printed up, and a form to fill out with info on pets, feeding times, etc...I believe she has an insur policy too which is very little money.. We also tip her another 50.00 or so. I think this is a great business for someone that is animal friendly. You can even take your kids to feed the animals and play with them..

Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
Just a thought here, when we vacation we don't like to send our pets to animal places so we hire a girl here that made a business of coming to your home to feed your pets, and stay with them a bit. Takes maybe 30 min if that. The pets are happy, we feel happy on vaca, and we pay her about 100.00 a week for this service. Get 10 people and bam you have your 1000 a month. No overhead, just some flyer printed up, and a form to fill out with info on pets, feeding times, etc...I believe she has an insur policy too which is very little money.. We also tip her another 50.00 or so. I think this is a great business for someone that is animal friendly. You can even take your kids to feed the animals and play with them..

That's a good entrepreneurial suggestion, but heavily dependent on what you look and talk like..

Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
If you're just sitting around the house, try doing PTC (paid to click) sites. Swagbucks (one of the best), Perk, Zoombucks, InstaGC, GiftHulk, Bing and many others are out there. You're not going to make as much as a job, but it can be a supplement.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyy818 View Post
One does not do foster care to make money. You only get paid 475$ monthly and have to prove you can pay your own bills to be approved.
I would hate to see a person be a foster parent just for the pay. That's what's wrong with our social services system now. Remember the Union County foster parents???

Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
I would hate to see a person be a foster parent just for the pay. That's what's wrong with our social services system now. Remember the Union County foster parents???
There's no truth to what you were told in that quote. I've met plenty of foster parents with 1-3 foster kids, they never held down jobs but owned nice homes and drove expeditions as a result of literally thousands a month in foster income.. One I know for sure made around 4k a month with two non-special-needs kids around 10 YOA.. That was '08 in Catawba county and there are even more benefits now.

I'd also like to suggest to anyone even remotely considering the "PTC" systems that were suggested, to go look at the rates.. If fractions of a cent to a couple bucks an hour are "supplemental income" to you, let me come live where you live please cause in my neighborhood, planet Earth, that just barely buys ramen and clean water, and not even enough to eat every day given the transaction overhead and payout policies..

If this is what good advice is, I have a very nice business plan around selling mud pies that I though was retarded that is now looking good..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte