Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM

445 posts, read 1,168,062 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Harrisburg - just over the county line and very quick commute to UNCC area.

Although for all of you who constantly warn people against the UNCC area, there are actually many nice neighborhoods, lots of good folks, and the area is very diverse. Grew up on that side and have lived in and around the area for over 25 years. That said, some of the schools are not the best. Highland Creek has an elementary school in the neighborhood which is very good and their middle and high schools are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 46,769 times
If schools are most improtant to you I would suggest you check out Harrisburg. There are 3 great schools here Harrisburg Elementary, Hickory Ridge Middle and Hickory Ridge High. If you decide to buy a home these schools are great! The middle and High School were both just built within the past 2 years and both have the best technology and great teachers and staff too. We just purchased a home in Harrisburg and we moved here from Huntersville where we were renting. We lived in Huntersville for 1 year and we loved it there too. Huntersville is more crowded than Harrisburg and some areas tend to have high traffic sometimes. The schools in Huntersville are some of the best in the Charlotte metro but we moved because there is just so muck transition going on in the Charlotte Meck school system that we just decided not to take a chance on the school system since we have a daughter. Matthews is nice and the schools are good too. South Charlotte is also nice but also very crowded. As for the schools there most of the schools in Matthews and South Charlotte are nice. However, south Charlotte is far from the University area. Harrisbur is only 10 minutes from the university area. I don't think there are many apts. in Harrisburg. However, there are plenty right near here on Hwy 49 and Hwy 29. Overall, If you are most concerned about schools and you want to live near your job I say check out Harrisburg there are lots of new home developments here too. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 PM

10 posts, read 15,189 times
If your working in UNCC area go with Cabarrus county. You will have three major roads you could possibly use to get to the UNCC ( Commonly refered to as University City) area...I-85, Hwy 29 and Hwy 49. The schools in cabarrus County are great and there is more open space. If you consider private schools then Cannon School is one of the most highly rated in the state. AS far as public schools from what I read NorthWest Cabarrus, the new Hickory Ridge High in Harrisburg and Cox Mill High are the best. Oh and laso Jay M Robinson High

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM

56 posts, read 222,628 times
Thank you for all the suggestions! I've also just heard about Moss Creek in Cabarrus County. I understand that it is a developing neighborhood with new, highly rated schools and housing is a bit cheaper. Would this be a good community to start out with or do you suggest trying out a more established neighborhood like Highland Creek, Harrisburg, etc.? I should also mention that my wife is due in November, so close proximity to a hospital and ob/gyn services is a factor.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaskunk View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! I've also just heard about Moss Creek in Cabarrus County. I understand that it is a developing neighborhood with new, highly rated schools and housing is a bit cheaper. Would this be a good community to start out with or do you suggest trying out a more established neighborhood like Highland Creek, Harrisburg, etc.? I should also mention that my wife is due in November, so close proximity to a hospital and ob/gyn services is a factor.
I like the above suggestions of Harrisburg in Cabarrus County for you better.

Moss Creek is not exactly a straight or easy commute to UNCC since it is on the far western side of Concord.

From Harrisburg you'd have easy access to CMC-University to have that baby

Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,324,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I like the above suggestions of Harrisburg in Cabarrus County for you better.

Moss Creek is not exactly a straight or easy commute to UNCC since it is on the far western side of Concord.

From Harrisburg you'd have easy access to CMC-University to have that baby
Moss Creek is not a straight shot to the UNCC area but its not a hard commute. Poplar Tent to 85 South to Mallard Creek Church Rd. Take a left and UNCC is about 2-3 miles down on your right. Probably a 15-20 minute drive. Harrisburg would be more of a straight shot to the hospital.

My guess is also that Moss Creek is 90%-95% built. I ride my bike around on weekends and there aren't a lot of lots left.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM

488 posts, read 800,020 times
Quote:
If you want to be by a great hospital then I sugest looking in Huntersville on Gilead Rd. We have a brand new hospital on Gilead - Presbyterian Hospital Huntersville and a bunch of established neighborhoods within 5 minutes.

Can't get much better than that - SouthLake Pediatric is wonderful too for the newborn.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Just curious, what is the average electricity bill to keep a 1500 sq ft home cool in the summer? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I haven't had an A/C in 10 years or so.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 PM

488 posts, read 800,020 times
Quote:
Just curious, what is the average electricity bill to keep a 1500 sq ft home cool in the summer? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I haven't had an A/C in 10 years or so.
Mine is twice that size and in the hottest part of the summer my bill is around $200.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 AM

I'm flying into Charlotte this weekend and very much looking forward to seeing the area firsthand. We've narrowed down our choices to Huntersville, Highland Creek, and lastly, Moss Creek.

Question, regarding schools: After some research into what is highly rated in Huntersville, I came up with Torrance Elementary. Blythe is a close second. However, I've noticed an overlap in the assignment boundaries of Blythe and Huntersville Elementary. Do both get assigned as home schools? Our preference would be Blythe, but a rental I'm interested in puts us in both Blythe and Huntersville boundaries.

Also, I've noticed a number of comments on overcrowding in schools. What is considered overcrowding? Just to give a reference of what we're dealing with in CA, it's speculated that classroom sizes will go up 28/1 (currently 22/1 student/teacher ratio).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte